Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't match Powercab 212 plus sound with built in cabs!

shawncooke1

I used to like the sound of my helix thru headphones. Since i got the Powercab, it sounds so good, I'm left chasing that sound in quiet time.  And i feel my headphones are decent cause they sound like i hear it thru my bx5a monitors.  I can't get a crisp sound. It seems muddy no matter how i adjust. Any Ideas?

Like anything else, there are lots of different kinds of headphones, all designed for different tasks. Your's may very well be "decent" for passive music listening... but that doesn't mean they'd be the best choice for use with a modeler. Most consumer headphones deliberately overemphasize the low end, which might explain the muddiness you're hearing. Make/model?

You're also comparing two fundamentally different kinds of monitoring. One is right on top of your ears, and the other you're hearing at a distance, WAY off-axis, with room reflections, etc etc... getting them to sound identical is a tall order. In fact, half the reason the Powercab exists was to satisfy the guys who couldn't get used to FRFR and needed the "amp in the room" feel.

I agree and understand all that.  But thru my daw and studio monitors, my direct in from helix isn't sounding good.  I feel if i micd the powercab, i could capture the sound I'm looking for.  Nut thats not always possible with 4 fighting kids and a yelling wife in the house.  Whats the best route to take to get the sound I'm looking for?  The headphones are Sennheiser hd 280 pro.  Aren't they good enough to give flat response?

You haven't explained how you are running your powercab. Is it in FRFR mode, or are you using one of the speaker modes? 

If it's the latter, then you should try capturing the signal from the Powercabs direct output.

If you are using FRFR mode... through my experience I find it takes time to create tones that work everywhere. It's like producing a song... it takes work to make it sound good on the majority of playback environments. FWIW... I create my guitar tones are two sets of speakers... I don't strive to make it sound good on one set, I strive to make it sound good on both sets. Once they do, my tones translate nicely to almost any FOH/Monitor rigs I have to play on. Quite often... it's just a small tweak here or there to make it better on one set without having a negative impact on the other set.