Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Audio latency issues

s7nstringsofhell

Need System details - HW, OS

Are you using a system cleaner? I recommend CCleaner (free).

Assuming at least an i5 processor, 16gb memory, Windows 10 and the L6 ASIO Drivers:

Optimizing Windows 10 for Audio:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

https://pcaudiolabs.com/windows-10-for-pro-audio/

When you're done with all that (and after re-booting), run Reaper and attach a screenshot of the main screen and the Audio Preferences screen.

26 minutes ago, kylotan said:

Looks like your network driver is not a good one. When you say direct, do you mean via an Ethernet cable? And if so, do you know the make of your motherboard?

z370a, yes direct by ethernet cable 

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Need System details - HW, OS

Are you using a system cleaner? I recommend CCleaner (free).

Assuming at least an i5 processor, 16gb memory, Windows 10 and the L6 ASIO Drivers:

Optimizing Windows 10 for Audio:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

https://pcaudiolabs.com/windows-10-for-pro-audio/

When you're done with all that (and after re-booting), run Reaper and attach a screenshot of the main screen and the Audio Preferences screen.

i7 8700k, 16gb, z370a , 1080 windows 10. Ill check those links out. 

I'm a bit confused. You said:

"I am direct into my network"

"z370a, yes direct by ethernet cable "

Helix connects via USB, not Ethernet.

Using the Helix ASIO drivers, with an i7 one generation older than yours on an HP Envy Laptop, the best latency I get in Reaper without noise is 20.2ms RT at 48k/128spls.

That's right on the edge of unusable for me.

Using my 2nd gen Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 I get 7.6 ms RT at 48k/64spls without noise.

Both of those numbers are in a Reaper project with Helix Native, Dimension Pro and EZDrummer the only VSTs loaded.

Obviously, I use the Focusrite, not Helix, as my interface WHEN PLAYING THROUGH A VST.

That leads to the next question. Latency only matters when you're monitoring through the DAW. Why aren't you monitoring direct from Helix - ZERO latency?

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

I'm a bit confused. You said:

"I am direct into my network"

"z370a, yes direct by ethernet cable "

Judging by the initial post, the issue is that the computer keeps micro-freezing for 40ms at a time, which leads to audio dropouts regardless of how the audio interface is connected. This is usually down to bad device drivers, and in this case it looks like the networking is the culprit.

To the original poster, I recommend trying to update those drivers.

1. Create a system restore point. If anything goes wrong, you can restore this to get your system back to how it was before. Make sure you know how to do the restore process before moving on to step 2!
  2. Try updating your network drivers automatically. Type 'device manager' into the search bar, click the top result to open Device Manager, look for 'Network adapters', expand it by clicking the arrow. You'll probably see several things in there, but one of them will probably start with 'Intel'. Right-click on it, select Update Driver. Allow it to search automatically, and if it finds something, install it, reboot, try the latency test again.
  3. If that didn't work, try getting specific drivers online. If it's an ASUS motherboard (as the model number suggests) they have a Support area on their site for that model, containing a Driver and Tools section. Find something that looks like 'LAN' or ' Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver'. Download, run, install, reboot, test again. Obviously if you don't have an ASUS motherboard, go to your manufacturer's site and do the equivalent.

13 minutes ago, kylotan said:

Judging by the initial post, the issue is that the computer keeps micro-freezing for 40ms at a time, which leads to audio dropouts regardless of how the audio interface is connected. This is usually down to bad device drivers, and in this case it looks like the networking is the culprit.

What I'm trying to figure out is how the networking driver plays into it at all. Helix connects via USB. What's the network got to do with it, other than possibly causing system interrupts?

At any rate, part of system optimization is updating the OS and essential drivers (including MB drivers), and disabling unnecessary devices and drivers. Lots of people don't even allow their music computers to connect to a network at all. Unless OP is using one of those super-studio ethernet rigs (Rednet something-or-other?).

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

What I'm trying to figure out is how the networking driver plays into it at all. Helix connects via USB. What's the network got to do with it, other than possibly causing system interrupts?

At any rate, part of system optimization is updating the OS and essential drivers (including MB drivers), and disabling unnecessary devices and drivers. Lots of people don't even allow their music computers to connect to a network at all. Unless OP is using one of those super-studio ethernet rigs (Rednet something-or-other?).

That's it. Some driver is poorly written and is holding onto an interrupt longer than it should, denying access by your USB audio devices for too many milliseconds. nVidia graphics and wireless networking are common culprits on laptops, and sometimes you never find a way around it. With desktops you can at least switch out hardware.

Or disable devices in device manager if you don't need them - or better yet, in BIOS. That way drivers don't load, interrupts aren't taken, system runs smoother.

• Upvote 1