Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with HXFX and Preamp!

Jam_Sandwich

Hey all.

I've asked this question elsewhere also but I thought this is the best place maybe.

I have a HXFX. I want to get a Origin Effects Revival Overdrive Custom. I already have a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170.

I want to use the Revival Overdrive as the preamp, and the HX FX as the effects and the Powerstage as the power amp and have a pedal board based amp setup.

I also want to put an OD I like and a Pitchfork in a loop together. How do I go about this and still be able to move my stomps before and after the preamp?

I was thinking it may be something like:

-Guitar in

- HX Effects with Origin Revival Drive in loop one. Place the loop at the point where I want           the preamp.

- Put the OD in the next loop. Place that loop before the Revival Drive.

- Put effects wherever I want, time based after the preamp etc.

- Go out of the HXFX into the power amp, and then from there into my cab.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Yes, that sounds about right.

I have a similar setup but I only use one loop. This is my approach for a cover band that I'm in:

-Guitar ->  Digitech Drop -> HX FX input

-In loop 1 : Tube Screamer -> Mooer Cali Mk3 (Preamp). I really only use the TS pedal in front of the preamp, for any post drive/boost I use HX's Gain block and boost the signal from +3 to +6 dB for Solos.

-Boss FV-500L on Exp/Ext amp 2 in to control some parameters on HX's effects blocks.

-Place Loop 1 block wherever I want it to be.

-Put HX's effects wherever I want, after/before the pedals in loop 1.
-Go out from the HX FX to a Mooer Baby Bomb 30 power amp and then to Mesa 2x12 closed back cab.

Using this approach leaves Loop 2 free when I need to connect to my Peavey 6505mh in 4CM and use Ext amp 1 out for channel switching when playing with my Metal band.

Edited by S4tchel
Made a mistake on the signal routing

Yes - this is the way to do it and is also my set up pretty much. Are you talking about the revival drive compact? Either way you'll want to run the revival drive with post drive eq set to P/AMP so it's properly working as a pre amp.

I have the Revival drive in the fx loop - HX FX Has noise gate > compressor and maybe some of the hx fx overdrives and then the FX Loop.

I have a few more pedals in the loop than pictured below but I always have the Revival drive at the end of the loop going back into the HX FX.

Then delay/reverb etc after the loop and out into the power amp (pedal baby in my case).

Be prepared to be blown away by the RevivalDrive - it's stunning - the way it handles all those string dynamics, scrapes, hits etc... it's just awesome.

IMG-3352.jpg

41 minutes ago, loydall said:

Yes - this is the way to do it and is also my set up pretty much. Are you talking about the revival drive compact? Either way you'll want to run the revival drive with post drive eq set to P/AMP so it's properly working as a pre amp.

I have the Revival drive in the fx loop - HX FX Has noise gate > compressor and maybe some of the hx fx overdrives and then the FX Loop.

I have a few more pedals in the loop than pictured below but I always have the Revival drive at the end of the loop going back into the HX FX.

Then delay/reverb etc after the loop and out into the power amp (pedal baby in my case).

Be prepared to be blown away by the RevivalDrive - it's stunning - the way it handles all those string dynamics, scrapes, hits etc... it's just awesome.

IMG-3352.jpg

14 hours ago, S4tchel said:

Yes, that sounds about right.

I have a similar setup but I only use one loop. This is my approach for a cover band that I'm in:

-Guitar ->  Digitech Drop -> HX FX input

-In loop 1 : Tube Screamer -> Mooer Cali Mk3 (Preamp). I really only use the TS pedal in front of the preamp, for any post drive/boost I use HX's Gain block and boost the signal from +3 to +6 dB for Solos.

-Boss FV-500L on Exp/Ext amp 2 in to control some parameters on HX's effects blocks.

-Place Loop 1 block wherever I want it to be.

-Put HX's effects wherever I want, after/before the pedals in loop 1.
-Go out from the HX FX to a Mooer Baby Bomb 30 power amp and then to Mesa 2x12 closed back cab.

Using this approach leaves Loop 2 free when I need to connect to my Peavey 6505mh in 4CM and use Ext amp 1 out for channel switching when playing with my Metal band.

Thanks guys. I'm starting to receive the items now. Can I go out of the HX Effects with a solder less patch cable into the power amp? That should be safe to do right?