Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it normal to turn off the hx stomp from the on/off switch?

willyjacksonjs22

As opposed to what? If L6 didn't want you turning the unit off at the switch, then they would have had to either:

1) Provide you with a PC-style shutdown function.

Or

2) Make it a point to say that you have to leave the thing on for the rest of your life.

But since they haven't done either of those things, I think it's safe to turn it off...;)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

As opposed to what? If L6 didn't want you turning the unit off at the switch, then they would have had to provide you with another option, or make it a point to say that the thing has to stay on for the rest of your life.... there is no PC- style shutdown function.

thanks! im asking because i couldnt find any information. personally i dont like devices that are force to shut down.

i think my question should of been:; is it normal for the hx stomp to force it self to shut down completely when turning off the switch?

8 minutes ago, jorgealberto25 said:

im asking because i couldnt find any information. personally i dont like devices that are force to shut down.

i think my question should of been:; is it normal for the hx stomp to force it self to shut down completely when turning off the switch?

Yes, there's no shut down procedure. It just powers down immediately.

I think it's natural - for years computer people have expected consumers to get used to things taking a whole to shut down, telling them not to eject USB drives without 'safely removing' it, etc. This is because a lot of things on a modern computer don't safely store things to disk immediately, but wait a few seconds first to improve performance generally, in much the same way you might not go to the store every time you need something, but instead wait until it's worth doing a general groceries shop.

Thankfully most digital devices designed for musicians are set up for ease of use instead, and make the writing process very visible. If it says data is modified and you switch off, you lose it. If you instead save the data, it usually pops up a screen showing that it's saving and you leave the device on for the duration. And when it says there's no modified data, you can switch off whenever you like.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JLondon said:

I gotta say that this wins the Olympic Gold Medal for the weirdest question I've ever read on the Line 6 Forum. 

Why would you say that? 

With computers we are always told to never turn it off with the power switch... turn it off through the software. This allows the machine to shut down properly. Most of our smart phones and tablets are similar. Even if we press and hold a "soft switch" the device goes through a shut down routine. Even TV's and Stereo's have soft switches these days. 

The Helix is a computer.... I thought the OP was just checking to make sure there wasn't a "soft routine" he was suppose to be using. That's a pretty legit question in this day and age if you ask me! 

8 hours ago, JLondon said:

I sincerely apologize for  this comment - but I just can't help myself.  I gotta say that this wins the Olympic Gold Medal for the weirdest question I've ever read on the Line 6 Forum. 

Well, you must be new here then... :-)  This is very, very far from the weirdest question I've seen here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 10:38 PM, JLondon said:

I sincerely apologize for  this comment - but I just can't help myself.  I gotta say that this wins the Olympic Gold Medal for the weirdest question I've ever read on the Line 6 Forum. 

im used to a shut down process  like a phone, computer etc... its my first time owning a modeling device like this. people like you act like if everyone has to know everything without asking freaking questions..

3 hours ago, maxdb67 said:

Then would it be allright to shut the power down by a switch on the powerblock also?

Yes. That's the word from Line 6. Makes no difference. I do think the switch on the Stomp is handy particularly if you are using it as an interface but on a pedalboard you can just leave it on.

• 8 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 12:34 AM, alandeanavery said:

Y'all are missing out if you don't read the manual.

The HX stomp manual is hilarious.

image.thumb.png.b4091e1b0f27aaba85a781e367cd5b17.png

LOL, love a little levity in a manual but this survey must have been of modern blues dentists. In my experience nine out of ten traditional blues "dentists" believe it is a crime to connect any kind of pedal or modeler whatsoever between their amp and the guitar.  

On 1/7/2020 at 7:33 AM, kylotan said:

...This is because a lot of things on a modern computer don't safely store things to disk immediately, but wait a few seconds first to improve performance generally, in much the same way you might not go to the store every time you need something, but instead wait until it's worth doing a general groceries shop.

So true and more specifically, historically "soft" shutdown processes rather than hard shutdowns(switch off, unplug) have been used for two primary reasons - to prevent corruption of open files and also because, as you mentioned for performance reasons, many edit and other operations are initially executed in RAM/memory/cache which is generally much faster than a hard drive. Files must be closed and the data written down to hard drive or SSD storage before a shutdown, or data can be corrupted and changes lost. Thankfully this has not been an issue for any completed save in the Helix or to my knowledge any of the HX devices. Some users even use power strip switches without issue for shutdowns, never touching the switch on their L6 device.