Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't get effects in stereo

JCW1

I have a Pod HD500X, and none of the effects seem to be in stereo.   Is there a switch or something that will make it in stereo?  I love creating the patches and the direct to PA sound, but I wish it could be in stereo.    Thanks!

3 hours ago, JCW1 said:

I have a Pod HD500X, and none of the effects seem to be in stereo.   Is there a switch or something that will make it in stereo?  I love creating the patches and the direct to PA sound, but I wish it could be in stereo.    Thanks!

1) As you might know a stereo signal as such needs 2 channels L and R, therefore you need to connect both outputs to retain the signal as stereo.

2) every amp model is mono, therefore the stereo signal of each stereo FX which goes through the amp model is mono-ized by the amp.

3) all the stereo signals coming from stereo FXs placed after the amp model remain stereo, unless you place a mono FX after them, or you connect just 1 output of the device.

Stereo/Mono FX List for POD HD series

PS.

the needed (for stereo) 2 channels of the PA should be hard panned Left and Right, and you need 2 monitors, one for the Left channel and one for the Right one.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 2 years later...

@hurghanico.....I searched but could not find any info for a stereo setup using a 7 cable method. Using a stereo TRS cable for the effects send portion and using l/r effects loops for a Blackstar HD40 and A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. 

I use the first 4 blocks before the amp block and mixer for all my non time based stuff like distortions, compressors, noise gate, etc and time based stuff after. 

Sounds good but the sound does seem mono-ized and I really do not get any spacial stereo feel. Only way I get any type of spacial feel is using the stereo delay but dont always need delays. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Rick

On 4/20/2022 at 11:51 PM, bigslickrick said:

Only way I get any type of spacial feel is using the stereo delay but dont always need delays.

If the POD LEFT output is connected to one amp and the POD RIGHT output is connected to an other amp and the mixer block PAN controls are set one on the LEFT and the other to the RIGHT, any stereo effect placed after the mixer block should remain in stereo.

EG if you put a ping pong delay after the mixer block you should clearly hear the output of each channel flowing into the other one, going back and forth like a game of ping pong from one amp to the other one. If this happens it means that the stereo configuration and separation is working properly, and all the other stereo FXs should work as well.

Ideally the 2 amps or monitors used as stereo output (L & R) should be identical or at least set to sound very similar to each other.
The spacial 3D stereo feel is created by the chosen stereo effect which makes the LEFT channel signal different than the RIGHT one in a certain way, but further differences (if any) in sound added by the amps/monitors used as output might mask it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips