Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to Get an Alex Lifeson Live Guitar Tone

Lennona52

Hey everyone!

I'm newer to using the HD500, and I love it so far!

For years, I've wanted to get a great Alex Lifeson live guitar tone. When he played with Rush live, he got such a great distorted guitar tone that allowed him to play open chords without them sounding harsh if you know what I mean. 

I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest how I can go about achieving this guitar tone with the pod. I don't know if there is a specific amp/cabinet setting that will allow me to get closest.

I'm looking to get a tone like the one in this video if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMBMsy4TzkI&list=PLMUvIr2CIIOd68zfpocjSw3CZIghey-XI&index=9&t=0s

Thanks in advance!

-Lennon

4 hours ago, Lennona52 said:

For years, I've wanted to get a great Alex Lifeson live guitar tone. When he played with Rush live, he got such a great distorted guitar tone that allowed him to play open chords without them sounding harsh if you know what I mean. 

I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest how I can go about achieving this guitar tone with the pod. I don't know if there is a specific amp/cabinet setting that will allow me to get closest.

A Marshall type (Plexi, Park or 800 depending on the flavor you prefer) amp should work fine..

Depending on your guitar signal, set carefully the DRIVE control, ie find its sweet spot setting for the specific combination of your guitar and the chosen amp model..

Open chords (as you said above) with too much distortion sound like a mess, however when you prefer to use very high DRIVE settings, turn down the BASS control or use the Tube Screamer as a clean booster (by its nature it cuts the low end) before the amp to tame the low frequencies which otherwise would mess the resulting tone.

(Using the default input settings or the single-input-approach makes a difference you might want to investigate, for more info on that look here: https://allabouthd500x.altervista.org/allabouthd500x/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17)

A good way to get rid of the harsh/fizzy frequencies (due to the close miking used to capture the cabs and which become more apparent with high gain tones) and get a more warm tone is to put a Low Pass Filter just after the amp/cab/mic. You can find a Low Pass Filter into the MID FOCUS EQ.

Time ago I wrote already a post about how to use it for the above purpose, link here:

How to cut harshness and/or boominess from some cab/mic combos

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips