Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

new user settings

jefxod

tell me, before I dive in changing this that and the other, what are all of the settings and switches for? 

(in plain english. not tech speak)

guitar in - pad/normal 

xlr - lift/ground 

1/4" out - line/amp 

stomp/line switch 

Guitar In-Z 

11 hours ago, jefxod said:

tell me, before I dive in changing this that and the other, what are all of the settings and switches for? 

(in plain english. not tech speak)

guitar in - pad/normal 

xlr - lift/ground 

1/4" out - line/amp 

stomp/line switch 

Guitar In-Z 

guitar in - pad/normal --> set it to Pad if the models distort/clip too much with your guitar..

xlr - lift/ground --> set it to Lift when your device is connected through the XLR outputs and there is too much noise..

1/4" out - line/amp --> if you connect the POD to the front input of a guitar amp set it to Amp, in all other cases set it to Line..

stomp/line switch --> set it to Stomp if you put stomp box FXs in the POD FX LOOP or if you use the POD with the 4 cable method, set it to Line if in the POD FX LOOP you put rack FXs which need/expect Line level input signals..

Guitar In-Z --> the 3.5 and 1 megahoms settings make the guitar input signal transparent, the other settings (if needed) make the guitar input signal darker and weaker the more low is the Z chosen value, the Auto settings change the Z setting automatically to match how the first FX in the chain (it doesn't matter if turned on or off) would darken or not the guitar input signal in reality.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 1/12/2020 at 6:12 AM, hurghanico said:

1/4" out - line/amp --> if you connect the POD to the front input of a guitar amp set it to Amp, in all other cases set it to Line..

stomp/line switch --> set it to Stomp if you put stomp box FXs in the POD FX LOOP or if you use the POD with the 4 cable method, set it to Line if in the POD FX LOOP you put rack FXs which need/expect Line level input signals..

is it going to change the tone if I design patches one way and then perform another way

Guitar In-Z --> the 3.5 and 1 megahoms settings make the guitar input signal transparent, the other settings (if needed) make the guitar input signal darker and weaker the more low is the Z chosen value, the Auto settings change the Z setting automatically to match how the first FX in the chain (it doesn't matter if turned on or off) would darken or not the guitar input signal in reality.

You're gonna have to help me out a little with this one. 

I come from a world of - plug it in this end, the the other end somewhere else. With the exception of "don't plug pedals between the amp and cab" there was none of this input junk. Even the 'stomp/line switch' seems new to me. I have a mix of pedals and racks. There's never been any worry about what to plug where. 

and global equalizer: 

What is the definitive, one size fits all, solution for the "noise removal". 

I have no intentions of changing it room to room. I went digital so I would never have to worry about that sort of thing.

I want to "set it and forget it".  

36 minutes ago, jefxod said:

is it going to change the tone if I design patches one way and then perform another way

Yes, every time you change a setting related to signal level and/or tone it will affect all the chain and the final sound, no doubt..

36 minutes ago, jefxod said:

I come from a world of - plug it in this end, the the other end somewhere else. With the exception of "don't plug pedals between the amp and cab" there was none of this input junk. Even the 'stomp/line switch' seems new to me. I have a mix of pedals and racks. There's never been any worry about what to plug where. 

The digital/virtual world offers many advantages but has also some drawbacks, hopefully the advantages will be the majority for you..

32 minutes ago, jefxod said:

and global equalizer: 

For noise removal only purposes you have to set only the High Cut Frequency parameter (the last one) of the Global EQ..

Most people set it around 10 kHz, but you can go even lower, use your ears to decide which setting works better for you.

If you hear too much boominess use the Low Cut Frequency parameter (the first one) and set it somewhere in the 80 - 120 Hz range.

(Remember that the Global EQ doesn't affect the sound passing through the USB to your computer)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

23 hours ago, jefxod said:

any change in gear or settings will change tone. 

but these aren't going to change tone the way others do. 

the 1/4" out - line/amp 

will change tone because you are going from an amp to a pa.

but it isn't going to change the tone that they receive. it is simply because some devices want a different input than others. I know this is a bad way to explain it, but think of it as a volume switch. The CD player is still playing the same music, but the volume will be a tad bit louder. So, let's say you went from a small personal pa system with it set to amp to a professional pa system with it set to line, the tone you hear would be the same because of the "sameness" of the two systems even though you flipped the switch.  

and the same with the stomp/line switch 

depending on what you are "looping" it will drastically change your tone. But if you are just using it as an extra output/input, it won't change anything other than 'volume'. 

23 hours ago, jefxod said:

and global equalizer: 

I have no intentions of changing it room to room. I went digital so I would never have to worry about that sort of thing.

I want to "set it and forget it".  

If you want to set it and forget it, the one size solution is ..... 

Turn it off. Don't use it. Forget that it is there. 

These people that talk about "noise removal" - each amp/cab/mic model gives a different frequency which needs removed. Therefore, there is no single GEQ setting that works. 

Sure, if you intend on using one amp/cab/mic model from here on out, it will work. But not if you bought the machine for variety. 

However, like everything else - 

If you set it somewhere today, at the beginning of our usage. You can build tone around it. I mean, it doesn't even matter what you set it at. Set it at the ugliest possible spot - you can still make patches sound great. 

Plus, as previously mentioned - it doesn't work on all outputs. Therefore, you could find yourself in a heap trouble depending on how you intend on using it. 

6 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

any change in gear or settings will change tone. 

but these aren't going to change tone the way others do. 

the 1/4" out - line/amp 

will change tone because you are going from an amp to a pa.

but it isn't going to change the tone that they receive.

Since it has not been specified we do not know if the OP connects the POD to a guitar amp or to a PA, if he connects it to an amp (which would actually become the last piece of the chain) a change in signal level coming from the POD (due to a change of a general setting done without knowing what it is for) would certainly cause a very different response from the amp, especially if it is a tube amp, if instead he connects the POD to a PA and changes the 1/4" out setting the basic characteristics of the sound would not change per se, but only its impression/perception due to the different resulting volume.

In any case, a mixer channel always works better and gives better results if it receives the type of signal it is designed for (mic/amp/inst or LINE).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips