Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah setting issue

shan86

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with assigning the wah on my LT using HX edit, and would greatly appreciate some help. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

I have built a generic 'go-to' preset, using 4 snapshots and 4 stomps. Much like the 4 stomps, I would like to the wah to only be on EXP1, and be able to switch it independently of the 4 snapshots.

If I select a preset snapshot, it defaults to EXP2, when I press the toe switch, it turns to EXP1 and the wah works, just as it should. 

If I push the toe switch again it turns the wah off and all is good.

HOWEVER, if I am using the wah and flick to another preset, it all goes pear shaped! Suddenly the wah is on, but the foot pedal has no effect. This carries on until i go right out the preset and then back into it.

I must just be missing some simple setting like a snapshot bypass or something?

Thoroughly frustrated,

Shannon

16 minutes ago, shan86 said:

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with assigning the wah on my LT using HX edit, and would greatly appreciate some help. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

I have built a generic 'go-to' preset, using 4 snapshots and 4 stomps. Much like the 4 stomps, I would like to the wah to only be on EXP1, and be able to switch it independently of the 4 snapshots.

If I select a preset snapshot, it defaults to EXP2, when I press the toe switch, it turns to EXP1 and the wah works, just as it should. 

If I push the toe switch again it turns the wah off and all is good.

HOWEVER, if I am using the wah and flick to another preset, it all goes pear shaped! Suddenly the wah is on, but the foot pedal has no effect. This carries on until i go right out the preset and then back into it.

I must just be missing some simple setting like a snapshot bypass or something?

Thoroughly frustrated,

Shannon

What firmware version are you running?

Hi Phil, I'm on 2.82

Iv'e managed to work out snapshots, stomp box, HX edit etc... But this Wah thing is driving me nuts! All I want is EXP1 to be active wah, EXP2 to do nothing and be able to switch between snapshots without it being affected.

there are a couple things you have going on that are defeating your approach.  

The wah toe switch is set by default to swap between EXP 1 and EXP 2...so essentially right now you are using EXP 2 as an 'off' button.  That is fine...but then defeats any use of Exp 2 for anything else.

1st question:  How do you want to engage/disengage the wah block?  I myself have it auto engaged by having toe down 100% set to off, and it engages at 97%.  

2nd question: based on your response with #1, there are a variety of ways to 'save' this to recall correctly..but in your scenario...your defeating the programming that is there.  

Example:  If you want to set it up to auto engage, then you need to delete the command that uses the toe switch to disengage the wah block (switch to the other EXP) and save the preset with the expression pedal where you want it recalled.  

Also need to turn on the globabl setting that allws you to recall the saved position instead of the 'current' position....forget what this is called exactly.

If you want a snapshot to engage the wah (no exp button or auto engage like I have) then you'll need to have the wah block engaged in that snapshot, off in other snapshots, resave the preset and make sure that the setting about recalling snapshots matches what your trying to do with the wah block as well.  

Confusing without knowing how you want to approach wah block use.

• Upvote 1

Hey metallikid,

I think I may be getting somewhere with needing to alter some global settings.

Here's the approach I'm after;

I have Preset 'A' and within it I have snapshots A1, A2, A3 & A4.

I don't mind how the wah engages, for example lets say I set it like you have, where as soon as the pedal is less than 97% to toe it engages.

Let's say I'm in A1 and rocking the pedal between 30% -  60%, and leave it at 50%. Then switch to A3, I would like the wah to stay engaged and only go off when i go back to the 100% position.

I really just want the wah to be independent of the snapshop. Just like it would be if I plugged a crybaby in before the helix.

thanks for your help

Yes that sounds like a global setting issue then.  There is one, I forget the name and dont have my helix near me....but there is a setting that tells the helix if you want it to recall the 'saved' position of the pedal or the current position I believe.  

I hope i'm not wrong....

I know that I also have pitch/whammy blocks set to autoengage the same as my wah's....and I had an issue with my original LT where it wouldnt go to 100% fully (it would only reach anything above 93% but it was random, so setting the 'off' % was impossible).....anyway, switching snapshots would not turn that pitch block off...I had to swap presets (not snapshots)

So I'm pretty sure there is a global setting for it.  I'd check under the EXP menu in the globals.  

There are two things to consider with snapshots.

Review these and evaluate the best way to set them up for your use. The various combinations of these could drive you crazy if not setup the way you want. 

1: Global > Preferences > Snapshot Edits

• Recall (default): When you make changes in the snapshot (eg: turn an effect on or off) then leave that snapshot... that change is "remembered" when you return to the original snapshot. IE: It loads the last state of the snapshot when you return. 
  • Discard: When you make changes in the snapshot (eg: turn an effect on or off) then leave that snapshot... that change is "forgotten" when you return to the original snapshot. IE: It loads the original (programmed) state of the snapshot when you return. 

In both circumstances, reloading the preset returns everything to it's original saved state. 

2: Since firmware 2.8... when adding a block you now have 2 methods to control it's bypass state. 

• Snapshot Bypass ON (default). The snapshot will control the effects on/off status
  • Snapshot Bypass OFF: The snapshot has no control over the on/off status... it is completely manual. 

The on/off status of each block is saved with the preset... so reloading the preset will reset the on/off state. 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, themetallikid said:

Yes that sounds like a global setting issue then.  There is one, I forget the name and dont have my helix near me....but there is a setting that tells the helix if you want it to recall the 'saved' position of the pedal or the current position I believe.  

Global > EXP Pedals > 

1. EXP1 Pedal Position: Determines whether the position of EXP1 is set "per preset, per snapshot, or globally". 
  2. EXP2 Pedal Position: Determines whether the position of EXP2 is set "per preset, per snapshot, or globally". 
  3. EXP3 Pedal Position (on Helix Floor only): Determines whether the position of EXP3 is set "per preset, per snapshot, or globally".