Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I am this close to saying good bye to Helix...

themetallikid

I am 2 years into it, and its been 6 months at best without a problem of some sort.  Sorry for the long post...but i'm upset/frustrated and feel like I've lost an amount of work i'm not sure I want to reinvest into.  

(I understand all the arguments for keeping it.....1-others arent having these issues, 2-create a trouble ticket L6 service is great, 3-I've really given the Helix/HX Edit multiple chances and WANT it to work, 4-I'm sure there are others...but i'm so frustrated right now I can't think straight)

1st issue, within 4 months of owning my LT the EXP pedal (both external Mission Engineering pedal(s) I had at purchase, as well as the onboard EXP pedal) refused to consistently read 0-100%.  It would constantly read 0-9x%.  So attaching a wah pedal to auto engage at 97% would never consistently turn off.  EVEN WORSE....having a pitch/whammy and having it reload the preset at 93%, and not be able to rock the pedal to 100%....thus having to change song specific presets in the middle of a song (Crazy Train) is a pain and not tolerable during a gig for a gig ready unit.  I reached out to L6 Service and after several troubleshooting (ahem, reminders to re-read my response to them) they finally sent me a RTA and replaced my LT with a brand new unit.  

2nd issue, within a month of receiving the replacement LT....I again started getting the same 0-9x% issue using the onboard EXP only.  At this point I offered to pay the difference and upgrade to the full Helix.  L6 was great and swapped my LT for the full Helix at no cost to me.  I have had 0 issues with the EXP pedal and its been great on this issue.

However, its been roughly almost a year and I have been dealing with Preset/Setlist/Library issues of some sort off and on.  Most recently dealing with corrupt preset slots.  Reaching out to L6, their only solution is to have me send my Helix into them.  Having 8 shows in Novemeber, and December as well...doesnt allow me the time to do so.  I managed to find a thread with a solution posted...that worked for me.  Basically doing a reset, reinstalling HX Edit and then restoring your backup presets that worked fine.  This has worked well the past 3 months or so.  

I have been working meticulously recreating my core basic tones, acoustic solo/vocal preset and then tweaking my core presets to balance/match my 3 guitars.  Ultimately gigging with those presets and being 95% happy with my core tones for the first time in a long time that I can remember.  I decided to implement my final piece of the puzzle.  I do not have the budget for new pickups or guitars or ultimately a variax....so going the cheap route I purchased the Sigma Guitar IR's and they give me enough flavor for live work and live feel I'll be happy.  So i've been implementing those IR's and using my core tones to create 94 (yes 94) song specific presets.  Some as intricate as using a different guitar IR for each of the 4 possible snapshots.  Needless to say, this was to be the final piece of my live puzzle.  Thus going forward I'd be able to make minor 'fixes' or add new songs with a well oiled preset creating process with tones I'm happy with at the core....add the right guitar tone, drop in the song specific effects/snapshots and i'm gig ready.  

I have the first gig with my song specific presets coming up this weekend and I tried to copy/paste from Setlist 2 (Master Song Library 1) into Setlist 4 (TE Dance).  I copy/paste song 1....great!  I copy/paste song 2....and I get the unable to read information error.  I immediately think....ok....not an issue.  I'll follow the steps as always and reinstall HX Edit, reboot the helix, reconnect USB cable...continue on my merry way.   WRONG!!  I try this process 2-3 times and I get no where.  Great.....I then take the time to export all 94 of my song specific presets.  First 1 at a time, then a couple...then the remaining 50 or so....all works fine.  I pull up Setlist 4 (TE Dance) to start importing 1 by 1 the exported preset files in setlist order....I get to song 37 and it saves, but the name immediately disappears.  No Error, no visual cue that something is wrong...just no name in the preset library list.  Im watching tv as I do this and I think that I must have just not completed the steps, so I repeat the Export>grab preset....and it now grabs the next handful of presets and jumbles the names.  I go through my reinstall process of HX Edit and such...and i'm already worried as it pulls up the 37th preset with a blank template/name.  I repeat the process of importing....no dice.  I then restart it all again...I try to copy/paste from Setlist 2 (master song library) and I get the same unreadable error (I forget the exact description).  

So now after all my hard work, I am back to square one again, having to reset my Helix, backup my core/master library setlists and try and reinstall the song specific presets into their slots for saturday.  

Why the long rant...I'm just about done....I even tried resaving into the 37th preset slot on the device itself and those slots are now corrupted.  Sorry for the long post, but I needed to vent and its worth noting that I dont recall seeing these preset/corrupt/hx edit preset issue threads much before the Helix realignment in the coding.  I get what they are trying to do, but getting them to acknowledge HX edit or USB connections at some point are causing this seems to be impossible.  

Here I go again on my own....

I've had my unit for over 4 years now and have well over 200 presets and haven't had any problems with corrupt presets...ever.

The main difference I see in my approach is that I export each one of my presets after each  change to it so that the master version of any given preset exists on my hard drive as an individual preset file.  Then when I am preparing for a show I import the presets I'll be using into the appropriate location in the setlist.  But I also have to say it doesn't sound like my presets are as complex as yours either.  Each of my presets is built specifically for a given guitar, but actually use different guitars and change guitars for them.  I've also NEVER copied and pasted a preset which seems to be a consistent theme behind getting a corrupt preset.  I've always simply saved a preset to a different location if I need to do something like that.

I have had my LT for more than 2 years now, using it mostly for rehearsal, occasionally for gigging. I have never had a problem with corrupted presets, except once upon a power supply issue. Copying/pasting has been working well for me.

I did have problems with the EXP pedal, and specifically a failure of the optical component reading the pedal position. After that failure, I stopped using the onboard pedal for heavy duty things (like controlling a wah) because I feared it could happen again (and my warranty has expired now); I only use it very occasionally to control the level of my solo boost. I have added an external Ernie Ball VP JR, and despite the extra cost I am still happy with the system, although the extra real estate occupied by the pedal bothers me a bit.

In your case, having repeated problems with preset corruption seems strange. Not sure that it is viable for you, but maybe you could try and see if you are still having the same problems using a different computer. Sometimes USB ports are defective and can cause problems; in my workplace we had a laptop that was frying every USB memory card that was connected to it. Just saying...

Yeah trust me, I like the platform, I like what I've gotten out of the Helix.  But its frustrating to put that much work into really building my presets and song presets from scratch the 'right' way (read: in a way that allows for efficient editing/updating should a new amp/effect come along).  I ultimately was able to restore the issues following the steps I've followed before doing a 5 & 12 reset after backing up the Core/Master setlists and then again importing the song specific presets from the Master Library into a live setlist order.

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I've had my unit for over 4 years now and have well over 200 presets and haven't had any problems with corrupt presets...ever.

The main difference I see in my approach is that I export each one of my presets after each  change to it so that the master version of any given preset exists on my hard drive as an individual preset file.  Then when I am preparing for a show I import the presets I'll be using into the appropriate location in the setlist.  But I also have to say it doesn't sound like my presets are as complex as yours either.  Each of my presets is built specifically for a given guitar, but actually use different guitars and change guitars for them.  I've also NEVER copied and pasted a preset which seems to be a consistent theme behind getting a corrupt preset.  I've always simply saved a preset to a different location if I need to do something like that.

I didn't have any issues pre-2.82 (2.80, maybe) with copy/pasting between setlists.  And in this recent scenario, knowing copying/pasting could be the culprit behind my previous woes...I tried a different approach, exporting all song presets from the Master Library and then going to the 'Dance' Setlist and importing them 1x1...it was when I got to the 37th song it freaked out and forced me to take the steps above.....again.  

My presets are fairly straight forward.  I have rhythm/lead tones for most songs or maybe a bridge/pre-chorus whatever.  My most complicated presets have 4 snapshots and that just turns different effects/amps on/off to follow the song sections as needed.  Dual amp songs with variety of tones are brutal programmers, but I love doing it on the helix cause its so easy.  Wanted D.O.A. by Bon Jovi is a great example, I have an intro clean (w/delay), clean/chorus for the verse, Rhythm (Marshall ballz) and a Lead preset (boosted Marshall Ballz, lol).  My approach can be a bit tedious as I like consistency and believe a cover band should be consistent and sound 'right'.  Its just my approach, but no one wants to hear 'my' take on the above mentioned song, they want to hear the song as it they remember it.  Granted, i still sound like 'me' doing the songs and some people have grown to like my versions better, or so they say (could be the beers) but that just tells me my work has paid off on doing my parts (performing and programming) if no one noticed something standing out.  

1 hour ago, emagli said:

I have had my LT for more than 2 years now, using it mostly for rehearsal, occasionally for gigging. I have never had a problem with corrupted presets, except once upon a power supply issue. Copying/pasting has been working well for me.

I did have problems with the EXP pedal, and specifically a failure of the optical component reading the pedal position. After that failure, I stopped using the onboard pedal for heavy duty things (like controlling a wah) because I feared it could happen again (and my warranty has expired now); I only use it very occasionally to control the level of my solo boost. I have added an external Ernie Ball VP JR, and despite the extra cost I am still happy with the system, although the extra real estate occupied by the pedal bothers me a bit.

In your case, having repeated problems with preset corruption seems strange. Not sure that it is viable for you, but maybe you could try and see if you are still having the same problems using a different computer. Sometimes USB ports are defective and can cause problems; in my workplace we had a laptop that was frying every USB memory card that was connected to it. Just saying...

after my reinstall/backup/restore process I did reboot cpu and change USB locations as well.  But I think the issue is more HX Edit related.  My hunch is that either in Windows or possibly Helix there is a clipboard  that gets full or freaks out.  Who knows....

The idea that I could have lost literally the last 3 months of work, again, and have to start over was very frustrating.  Sorry for ranting and carrying on, lol.  crisis averted for now...we'll see when I create our other 2 setlist versions.  

@themetallikid ... 

Do you do all your work in HX Edit? If so, have you tried just working on the Helix itself?  Reason I ask is that I have encountered silly issues when working in HX Edit, but never from the machine itself. I made the decision long ago to use HX Edit strictly for backup/restore and IR management and I have never had a single problem since. 

Right, wrong, or indifferent. That's just my experience. 

EDIT to Add...You posted a response while I was prepping my post.... 

20 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

But I think the issue is more HX Edit related.  My hunch is that either in Windows or possibly Helix there is a clipboard  that gets full or freaks out.  Who knows....

I think you are on the right track with this.... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

@themetallikid ... 

Do you do all your work in HX Edit? If so, have you tried just working on the Helix itself?  Reason I ask is that I have encountered silly issues when working in HX Edit, but never from the machine itself. I made the decision long ago to use HX Edit strictly for backup/restore and IR management and I have never had a single problem since. 

THIS may be the key to why I've never run into any of these weird problems.  The only time I use HXEdit is just for file type operations (import, export, backup, restore, etc.)  Otherwise I totally depend on the Helix editing interface.  In the beginning I reasoned that if I might need to do something on my presets and didn't have HXEdit available at the time, I'd better know how to do it with just the Helix interface, and that's why my preset editing have always seemed to be bulletproof....well that and constantly saving my presets during any kind of editing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

In the beginning I reasoned that if I might need to do something on my presets and didn't have HXEdit available at the time, I'd better know how to do it with just the Helix interface, and that's why my preset editing have always seemed to be bulletproof.

That has always been my approach to things as well. I always try an editor out of curiosity... but prefer editing the devices directly. When I ran into problems with HX Edit early in the game it was easy for me to just shrug it off as nothing I really needed anyway. I bought a Helix, not an editor... and the Helix is rock solid (IMO). 

To be fair... I don't even know if it's HX Edit that is a problem, or simply configuration conflicts within a computer. Some people have no problems, others do. I'm sure both are telling the truth :) 

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

@themetallikid ... 

I don't 'have' to do all my work in HX Edit, but I like the convenience of it, and my setup at home is much more convenient with using the laptop as lots of times I'm jamming via USB/Headphones while i'm tweaking things.  so having to reach down to tweak things is a pain while holding a guitar and not hitting my forehead on the desk....lol.  

Most of the edits I do in HX Edit, are not the easiest to do on the Helix itself or aren't possible.  if I copy one of my cores to a new song preset slot, a lot of times I have to rearrange or copy/paste snapshots which I can't do on the Helix itself.  Now that I've completed my library for the current songs, it'll be easier to move one song and edit it than it is to move 94 presets....very time consuming using the joysticks/wheels to navigate back and forth between 2 different setlists and presets not in the same order. 

1 hour ago, BBD_123 said:

I had more problems at the outset with HX Edit until I trained myself to save and reload pretty much after every change I made to a patch. Fine after that.

I do save each preset and from time to time if there are lots of edits in a preset, I will save it, change presets/reload preset and continue....as I've noticed some edits not sticking between snapshots when I get to too many.  Again sorta lends itself to a rewriteable clipboard getting full.  

49 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

THIS may be the key to why I've never run into any of these weird problems.  The only time I use HXEdit is just for file type operations (import, export, backup, restore, etc.)  Otherwise I totally depend on the Helix editing interface.  In the beginning I reasoned that if I might need to do something on my presets and didn't have HXEdit available at the time, I'd better know how to do it with just the Helix interface, and that's why my preset editing have always seemed to be bulletproof....well that and constantly saving my presets during any kind of editing.

I agree, and I'm pretty skilled/quick to make on the fly adjustments with the on screen edits and such...the biggest stuff that I can't do would be more performance limiting rather than sound/preset limiting if that makes sense.  

4 minutes ago, codamedia said:

That has always been my approach to things as well. I always try an editor out of curiosity... but prefer editing the devices directly. When I ran into problems with HX Edit early in the game it was easy for me to just shrug it off as nothing I really needed anyway. I bought a Helix, not an editor... and the Helix is rock solid (IMO). 

To be fair... I don't even know if it's HX Edit that is a problem, or simply configuration conflicts within a computer. Some people have no problems, others do. I'm sure both are telling the truth :) 

I agree, I'm sure its a variety of smaller issues that added up are creating problems for some folks and not others.  I bought the helix for the on board simplicity, sound quality and functionality.  and I don't dispute that...the editor is a great additional tool.  I very quickly lost taste for my Boss GT100 when it had the same bells and whistles when I bought it and found out after creating my first 30+ presets and then finding out that their editor has a corrupting preset issue that is undoable without a full system restore.  yikes.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codamedia said:

@themetallikid ... 

You may be correct but I have to say that if the Editor broke things more than incredibly rarely when I used it I would be on to the next device. That just has not been my experience. Like other users here have reported the particular combination of backup/saving, computer hardware, preset design, attached devices, firmware upgrade process, etc. that I use has left me pretty much problem free for the duration of my Helix ownership. With that said after years of reading through the forum, I would observe that Line6 needs to do a better job of bulletproofing the editor software and maybe their driver as well as their firmware upgrade process. I mention the upgrade process, driver, and editor in the same breath as problems with one may well be affecting the other. And then there is the problem of accommodating the incredible range of computer hardware out there which is partly out of L6's control...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HonestOpinion said:

You may be correct but I have to say that if the Editor broke things more than incredibly rarely when I used it I would be on to the next device. That just has not been my experience.... 

.... And then there is the problem of accommodating the incredible range of computer hardware out there which is partly out of L6's control...

Actually... in a later post I did add this...

5 hours ago, codamedia said:

I believe it is much more complicated that just saying HX Edit is guilty... partially for reason you described. 

• Upvote 1

Fwiw, I had corrupted patches twice so far. One time it happened without anything but a guitar cable and an XLR output connected, the other time was using HX Edit. It's been a while ago and never happened again, but given that some people seem to have issues (some more regularly, others less so), I would happen to think there's something fishy going on inside the Helix firmware. Perhaps it's enhanced when using the editor, but it's defenitely not exclusive to using the editor. And it's certainly something Line 6 has to have a serious look into.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:38 AM, DunedinDragon said:

Same for me. All my work to my presets is done on my unit (Floor model). I only use Edit for exporting, importing, changing preset names and that's about it. Zero errors in over 4 years, probably about 150 presets in total.