Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Building a community-based comprehensive Helix database (patches, amps, effects, etc.)

galligan

Hi all. I'm new here (just got a Helix Floor yesterday) and am pretty excited. One thing I immediately noticed though was how difficult it was to figure out all of the different models of amps, effects, etc. and how they related to the various patch presets, etc. I found this to be a great simple resource, but felt like the community could be better served with a proper database, so I got things started!

Introducing HXDB

First, I'm using Airtable to build it…think Google Sheets on steroids. Second, much of the data is based on Dshowmusic'sresources.

I've already got all of the amps, cabs, effects, and mics that I'm aware of in there, but am looking for some help to get the patch presets in. The beauty of the database model is that we can reference all of the specific effects, etc. associated with each patch directly within its entry. I've also added a column for the artist inspiration, so it can be easily referenced.

Link to the database:

Full database: https://airtable.com/invite/l?inviteId=inviQCBQHUH2vVuVS&inviteToken=74b3a1adda357e713fa998996811520e8534db8b45a21da3f85ecf91f1ed24cfNote: You'll need to sign up with Airtable (sorry, I can't change this) but it's free, and not spammy. Here's the link to sign up/log in, and get read access to the database:

Preview of effects database: https://airtable.com/shr5FUWGUh0rPE0rf

If you'd like to help out to improve the database, send me a message! I'll be able to make you a collaborator.

Please give me any feedback that you would like! Ultimately I think this should be a community driven resource.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.31.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.37.39 AM.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Hmmmm... I think someone already beat you to it a couple of years ago...without all the fuss.

https://helixhelp.com/

Looks like a good resource as well, and thanks for pointing it out. Love that they have the amp images, and links to the models. Definitely aspire to get there.

That site doesn't have the Presets, which I'd love to see get added (and will start doing some myself), and the ultimate goal is a bit different. As this will be a community site, I'd love to see more than just the defaults in there…opening the database up for contributions would be worthwhile IMO.

8 hours ago, galligan said:

Hi all. I'm new here (just got a Helix Floor yesterday) and am pretty excited. One thing I immediately noticed though was how difficult it was to figure out all of the different models of amps, effects, etc. and how they related to the various patch presets, etc.

[...]

In fact, a rather tabular academic scientific approach...

giphy.gif

When I got my Helix 5 years ago, the first year I was mainly busy with playing guitar and tweaking ;-)

• Haha 1