Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native Throughout New Album Release

soundog

Just released a new album; I recorded 90% of the guitars and bass using Helix Native (in Logic Pro).

The album ("Strange Tales" by John Plainsong) is here to listen to for free if you want to hear how it sounds (or stream on the usual outlets). Its sort of mainstream rock/blues/Americana. No metal hippity-hop.

plainsong cover 4x4x72.jpg

On 1/15/2020 at 8:42 PM, soundog said:

Its sort of mainstream rock/blues/Americana. No metal hippity-hop

Thanks for that - good work.

Only had one listen through, but picked up flavours of other things. I will have another run through and be a little more attentive.

Oh, yeah - did I detect a little bit of Harry Nilsson “Me and my Arrow” in there?

On 1/19/2020 at 4:55 PM, datacommando said:

Thanks for that - good work.

Only had one listen through, but picked up flavours of other things. I will have another run through and be a little more attentive.

Oh, yeah - did I detect a little bit of Harry Nilsson “Me and my Arrow” in there?

That's interesting. I do like a lot of Harry Nilsson's early stuff and have listened to Me and my Arrow a few times in the past 40(!) years. No intentional copying, but who knows how many subliminal riffs and chords creep into our noggins when we are writing stuff? Its an interesting topic --- how much stuff is completely original, how much influenced, how much out-right stolen?  At any rate, thanks for listening .... I do appreciate it. And if you hear a little bit of Harry Nilsson in there, I'll take it!

6 hours ago, soundog said:

No intentional copying, but who knows how many subliminal riffs and chords creep into our noggins when we are writing stuff?

When I said “do I detect” - that could  possibly have been phrased better.  I hope that you didn’t think that I was making an inference of any direct copy of the album I mentioned. It was simply something of the sound you had created which for some strange reason put me in mind of that Nilsson thing, if you take my point (pun, both intentional and not). I really must dig that out and give it a listen.

As you say, over the years, how many little things seep into our unconscious mind? Considering we are constrained by twelve notes, there are only so many ways that they can be strung together and remain tuneful. Luckily you found a way to do that. ;-)

@datacommando, I didn't take your comments the wrong way at all. I totally get it. Anytime I listen to new music I often find myself thinking "that part reminds me of something" ... and sometimes its just little things, even the mix or effects or vibe. Absolutely no offense taken, and as I said I really like Nilsson! His music has stood the test of time and he puts me in a good mood. Interesting that one of his songs from Nilsson Schmilsson was featured in a recent popular TV show (Russian Doll), so he's getting some new royalty payments I think.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, soundog said:

Interesting that one of his songs from Nilsson Schmilsson was featured in a recent popular TV show (Russian Doll), so he's getting some new royalty payments I think.

I was unaware of the TV thing, but, yes - somebody, somewhere will be making some cash.

Sadly, it won’t be Nilsson - he died of a heart attack while making an album way back 1994 and is now in the great studio in the sky!

Ain’t that just the way?

• 2 years later...

I'm new here and wanted to share my achievements. I finally got a contract with a label. I think it's easier to get ahead in music now. That's what opportunities an artist has today. Thanks to streaming services and social networks, anyone can create a group or a channel on YouTube and publish their songs there. Or upload a track and wake up famous. That rarely happens, because there are a hundred times more unknown artists than popular ones: the road to fame requires a huge investment of time, money and morale. But there is still a chance for everyone. As a beginner I would like to ask your opinion about artist pr service, has anyone used it? I was told that you can share your songs there and get results. 

I've never used such a service, so I have no idea if its effective or not. These days most promotion is done via social media, which takes a lot of time, expertise and effort. If you have the money to spare, you could always try a pr service out for a period of time and see if it gives you any traction.  Read reviews first, check reddit, gearspace, etc....

• Upvote 1