Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go FAQ

Digital_Igloo

POD Go FAQ
What’s the deal with POD Go?
POD Go is Line 6’s all new next generation POD, built to toss into your backpack or carry-on and take anywhere. Oh, and it’s incredibly easy to use—might be the easiest POD since the original POD in 1999.

How much can you run simultaneously?
Each preset in POD Go includes the following blocks:

• Input with Noise Gate
  • Amp or Preamp (all HX models)
  • Hybrid Cab from Helix—OR—1x Impulse Response (up to 128 user IRs can be loaded into POD Go via the Mac/PC editor)
  • Preset EQ (any HX type)
  • Wah (any HX type)
  • Up to 4 additional effects (any HX type), with the following caveats:
    • Three HX effects models have been omitted due to their size (Tone Sovereign, Clawthorn Drive, and Cosmos Echo)
    • All Distortions, Dynamics, and Pitch/Synth blocks are mono only (which precludes the stereo-only 3 OSC Synth)
    • All other effects are stereo only
  • Volume Pedal
  • FX Loop (mono or stereo)
  • Output with Volume and Pan

The FX Loop and Preset EQ blocks are automatically assigned to stomp switches, and adding any additional effects automatically assigns them to the remaining stomp switches. Press and hold any two stomp switches to swap them.

If it has nearly all models from HX and Helix products, why call this a POD at all?
The original POD set the standard for ease-of-use in digital guitar and bass products. We wanted POD Go to be ridiculously easy-to-use, which meant purposefully omitting some power user features one would expect to find in HX or Helix-branded products. And not putting the best modeling possible in a box just because it happens to be less expensive—or have a different name—is weak sauce.

What about some of the cooler Helix features like Snapshots, color switch rings, block copy/paste, 3-second footswitch assignment, 3-second controller assignment, multichannel USB audio, and re-amping?
POD Go has all of these.

So can you use this on professional gigs?
Of course. The main outputs on POD Go are balanced/unbalanced and with TRS 1/4” to XLR M cables, can feed the front-of-house mixer—in stereo—without additional DI boxes. Then the 1/4” AMP OUT can be sent to your amp onstage (either echoing the Main Outs or tapped off before the Cab/IR block). The routable stereo send/return jacks can be used for 4-Cable Method.

Is there a Mac/PC editor?
Yes. POD Go Edit is available now.

Does POD Go have an audio interface?
Yes. POD Go has a 4-in/4-out audio/MIDI interface with re-amping built in.

Why didn’t you put VDI, L6 LINK, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, MIDI, parallel paths, dual DSPs, cap-sense switches, scribble strips, blah blah blah?!
Because POD shouldn’t cost what Helix costs.

Dimensions/weight? Is it smaller than POD HD500X?
14.1”w x 9.1”d x 3.5”h; 5.2lbs
It’s way smaller and lighter than POD HD500X. Fits inside pretty much any backpack or carry-o

What’s the price?
POD Go sells for $449.99 US street.

When is POD Go shipping?
April.

Input/Output Impedance Chart

PODGoSpecs.PNG

Is there a looper block? Personally, I would never consider an all-in-one guitar modeling unit without one anymore...

And I don't exactly get this: "The FX Loop and Preset EQ blocks are automatically assigned to stomp switches" - does that mean it's a must to have them assigned or is that just the default state (I would guess it's the latter).

Will Helix Native see some POD Go compatibility mode?

Can you bypass the amp block?

I would LOVED to have an Helix of this size, with a price between the hx stomp and the helix lt. I sold my helix lt because it was too big, I hope I can keep myself from buying this, especially if there will be an helix of this size at some point.

Also I wonder if there will be a new pod vst that's basically this unit in vst form?

edit: I do agree that this is a great move to get into the market where mooer, nux, joyo and hotone are roaming and this sounds ALOT better and is cheaper.

1 hour ago, pianoguyy said:

This IS a Helix of this size. 

Or did you not read the description?

"The original POD set the standard for ease-of-use in digital guitar and bass products. We wanted POD Go to be ridiculously easy-to-use, which meant purposefully omitting some power user features one would expect to find in HX or Helix-branded products"

I hope this clears up this ISN'T a helix because it misses alot of features that would make it an Helix (why would they otherwise call it a POD right?) .. Yes, it DOES use the helix amps and effects, but that DOESN'T make it a Helix.

BUT,  this WOULD be a great product for anyone that uses an Helix (as a backup) in case the helix would fart out live on stage (which I highly doubt!)

anyway have a good day :p .

32 minutes ago, usta28 said:

I hope this clears up this ISN'T a helix because it misses alot of features that would make it an Helix

No kidding, it is missing a lot of features. For that matter, so is the Helix LT. If you want all of the features, you have to buy the big one. 

35 minutes ago, usta28 said:

why would they otherwise call it a POD right

Perhaps you are confusing the word Pod with HD.  

51 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

No kidding, it is missing a lot of features. For that matter, so is the Helix LT. If you want all of the features, you have to buy the big one. 

yea, the LT misses some connections, knobs and led name strips, but the software it runs on is EXACTLY the same as the regular Helix. Even the HX stomp runs on exactly the same software, if you don't count the 6 block limit.

This one just runs the same amp and effect models. But I don't want to get off topic too much, I'm sure I'll probably buy this one.. The size is just perfect. But I have to try it in a store first, so I can be sure I won't need more than what it can do. (I'm pretty sure at this point that it can do all I need).

I also hope that buyers of this can get the discount on helix native.. Or at least another VST that has these helix amps and effects. 

3 hours ago, hkremer said:

Curious if the sound will suffer due to there being only one vs. two DSP chips.

Even with only one DSP the models per se will behave identically to those of the big brothers (a single modern DSP is enough for one HX amp model plus a few blocks), but overall if in the chain there are some FXs in addition to the amp model the device final tone will be somewhat different due to the device input having a fixed 1 megahom impedance.

A variable/automatically adaptable impedance is one of the factors which made the difference between the Eleven Rack, POD HD, Axe FX and the previous old modeling technology devices, ie to get a response of the models more faithful to that of to the real things modeled.

The above observation doesn't mean that you can't get good results from the models even having only a fixed 1 megahom impedance input circuit, but unless the LT or HX patches are set on purpose to use a fixed 1 megahom impedance instead of automatically changing the impedance depending on the first FX in the chain, the POD GO and its big brothers will sound somewhat different from each other.

If this were not true, it would mean that in all these years the modelers makers have made fun of us with the importance of having variable/automatically adaptable impedance to obtain even more realistic results.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Can POD Go patches be imported into the Helix editor? POD Go looks awesome and I can see myself using it to get ideas down quickly, but then refining my tone later on in Helix Native. And yeah, I would not expect to be able to go the other way around (import Helix patches into POD Go), not concerned about that use case.

16 hours ago, hurghanico said:

A variable/automatically adaptable impedance is one of the factors which made the difference between the Eleven Rack, POD HD, Axe FX and the previous old modeling technology devices, ie to get a response of the models more faithful to that of to the real things modeled

This is interesting. I don’t quite understand the electronics, but your description makes sense.

11 minutes ago, joel_brown said:

It's $449 dollars and it's sound is on par with the Helix or AXE FX

On par, yes, but with half the DSP. For me the price is irrelevant. What I’m looking for is compact, which is why I looked at this in the first place. The Helix are too big (for me). So I’m waiting for compact/modern/high DSP. See the Neural Quad Cortex coming out next year. Quad SHARC in a small package. Of course it’s even more expensive than the Helix. If Line6 could do something like that I would be all over it. Currently I’m going HX EFX into a Bias head, and I’m happy with that. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rpschultz13 said:

Can the stereo return be used as inputs and mixed together for a mono out... like Helix does?

As you can check by yourself by reading the already dowloadable POD GO CHEAT SHEET  the stereo RETURN can be used as AUX stereo input.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, hurghanico said:

As you can check by yourself by reading the already dowloadable POD GO CHEAT SHEET  the stereo RETURN can be used as AUX stereo input.

Ok good to know. But that assumes they are route to the stereo output. It doesn’t answer whether those inputs can be mixed or blended together with separate gain and effects and routed to a mono output like Helix can do on a single dsp.

53 minutes ago, rpschultz13 said:

It doesn’t answer whether those inputs can be mixed or blended together with separate gain and effects and routed to a mono output like Helix can do on a single dsp.

I don't know the official answer, most likely the 2 inputs Guitar in and Aux/Return (if both used) signals will be mixed together but the chain with its settings, effects and amp will be just one and shared.

To get 2 independent separately processed (mono) lines you need the big HX brothers, or even the old HD500/X.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 1/19/2020 at 6:08 AM, qwpeoriu said:

Can POD Go patches be imported into the Helix editor? POD Go looks awesome and I can see myself using it to get ideas down quickly, but then refining my tone later on in Helix Native. And yeah, I would not expect to be able to go the other way around (import Helix patches into POD Go), not concerned about that use case.

Nope; POD and Helix/HX are different lines. In the future, we *may* (read: TBD) allow copy/paste of individual blocks from POD Go Edit to HX Edit, but we have no current plans to support full preset conversion.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:59 AM, rpschultz13 said:

Ok good to know. But that assumes they are route to the stereo output. It doesn’t answer whether those inputs can be mixed or blended together with separate gain and effects and routed to a mono output like Helix can do on a single dsp.

When Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Return Type is set to "Aux In", the Return acts as a stereo input that is mixed in with the processed output. There is never any processing on the Aux Input signal. It's designed for jamming along with iPods, mixers, etc.

Oh, and we now have an official POD Go subforum: https://line6.com/support/forum/97-pod-go/

On 1/17/2020 at 12:30 PM, gunpointmetal said:

Aww, I just read no momentary switches....LAME

On the back of the POD GO, there is a Switch Input where you can connect 2 EXTRA SWITCHES, VIA A "Y CABLE."

Maybe someone at Line 6 will read this and verify.

If using a Y Cable to add 2 extra switches, I see no reason 1 of these couldn't be Momentary!!

Edited by kkdarling
Misspelled a word!...PID, instead of POD!!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kkdarling said:

On the back of the POD GO, there is a Switch Input where you can connect 2 EXTRA SWITCHES, VIA A "Y CABLE."

Maybe someone at Line 6 will read this and verify.

If using a Y Cable to add 2 extra switches, I see no reason 1 of these couldn't be Momentary!!

I think the way it's set up that control option is not available for any of the switches, internal or external. On another forum DI replied that momentary SNAPSHOT functionality would be there, so that works for me, I think. The appeal of the POD Go is that it can be can be a backup for my Helix floor with the same amp models and IRs and I don't need any external switches or pedals. I had been eyeing up the HX Stomp for this purpose, but the block limit, as well as needing a volume pedal or external EXP pedal and a MIDI controller to use it was not something I wanted to get in to. I want as few pieces of gear on stage as possible. Sold all my stomp boxes 10+ years ago and haven't bought another one since.

Getting rid of my almost 40 pound Pedalboard is what's making the POD GO so appealing to me as well as feeling your pain!!

That and NOT having to also tote around my Marshall DSL as well and just taking a LIGHTWEIGHT FRFR Speaker makes setting up and tearing down a breeze.

I had Roadies back in the 80's.

Their all gone now so it's just my Spine and me! Lol...

I'm not getting any younger and after 45+ years of performing, the GO seems like the best choice for me.

I was going between the Helix LT and the Headrush primarily, while also keeping the Boss GT-1000 in the back of my mind.

I have 3 basic Amp Tones....Clean, Gain and a slightly Heavier Gain for Leads.

The vast majority of my Effects are Modulation and a couple of Delays while also needing a Harmonizer.  Line 6 NAILED the Eventide Harmonizer, sounding like the Smart Harmony built in to everything from the M-Series to the Helix.

The Twin Harmony from the HD500X would have been fine however, I  really fell in love with the Smart Harmony while using the HX for a short while.

It's going to be wonderful just running a couple of Cables to the FOH.....Sound System... then a line to a single FRFR as my personal Monitor. 

I'm sure that's really going to make, not only our Soundman, also the rest of the band happy as well!

After FINALLY getting a Representative from Line 6 on the Phone, he answered EVERY question I had. Now, I just have to decide between the LT and the POD GO!!!....UGGHHHH!!

I just basically want my 3 tones from my Amp with the Modulations I can just turn on and off....those rarely change, have the Tap Tempo for my ON BOARD Delay as well as a separate Tap for the Echoplex.  That's an Outboard Pedal which runs directly into the front of whichever Amp I choose.

That's all I need!!

I can FINALLY retire my old Vintage Thomas Organ Wah!!

That was the first Effect Pedal I received.....I was 10 at the time......and it was used.

I'm old but not that old...lol!

I have a small Pedalboard Case these will fit in to and I can have it as a "Carry on" whenever I fly.

I won't have to worry about Backlines anymore, as well as not having to worry about my BACK finally saying, it's enough!!...LOL...

Take care and good luck!

Can the blocks be moved/doubled in the signal chain? More particularly the IR block? This is a deal breaker for me. The reason why I’m asking this is because I play quite a lot of acoustic guitar and electric violin. These instruments use piezos that sound harsh and unnatural, but if you run their dry signal through an impulse response of a quality acoustic instruments, the results are really good and convincing at least for live use. But such IR blocks must come before FX such as EQ, delay, reverb and modulation that are typically used with acoustic sounds, not after as is the case with the electric guitar scenario (preamp - above FX - cab IR).

29 minutes ago, urbansoban said:

Can the blocks be moved/doubled in the signal chain? More particularly the IR block? This is a deal breaker for me. The reason why I’m asking this is because I play quite a lot of acoustic guitar and electric violin. These instruments use piezos that sound harsh and unnatural, but if you run their dry signal through an impulse response of a quality acoustic instruments, the results are really good and convincing at least for live use. But such IR blocks must come before FX such as EQ, delay, reverb and modulation that are typically used with acoustic sounds, not after as is the case with the electric guitar scenario (preamp - above FX - cab IR).

Any of the blocks can be moved anywhere in the chain, so, yeah, you can do what you want with the IR.

As far as doubling blocks, you can have multiple instances of the same effect in any of the four wild card slots (as long as you're within the DSP limits). You can't have multiple instances of any of the fixed blocks, though.

1 minute ago, marhil said:

Can the main outputs and amp out be used simultaneously ?   For example having the main outs connected to mixer/PA speakers and then connect the amp out to my amp for a monitor for my guitar.

Yes.

• phil_m pinned this topic