Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go FAQ

Digital_Igloo

7 minutes ago, silverhead said:

I doubt that this will change in a future update but you never know. It’s all about DSP. The wah, volume, and EQ blocks are very low DSP consumers. All together their combined total of DSP would probably not allow you even a 5th flex block, let alone 8. 

I understand that, The hx stomp can go up to 6 blocks and they both use one dsp chip and with the 3.0 update, 8 blocks spaces will be there, so technically if i can get what I like into the stomp i should do the same in the pod go right? 

Trying to get my head round possibilities of the POD Go but I may be a bit slow on the technical side!  Is it possible to use the Pod Go as a pure pedal board with the Amp and cab turned off therefore it's essentially the 2 fixed effects block + 4 configurable pedals as pure pedals into my own amp?  Then is it possible to have two blocks of 4 (6 with semi fixed) effects that you can switch between to use different pedal boards effectively?  So I can have say an OD pedal, chorus, delay, Fuzz + Wah and Eq on one then switch to another block (I know you can't leave the effects from the first block on) to a block with Tube Screamer, Compression, Chorus, delay + Volume and Eq for a different song but both blocks having the amp/cab sim switched off for using just the effects processing?  

I know the HX Effects is available but my thought is can I use this basically as a HX Effects but have the backing of the amp/cab simulation as a backup in case my amp/cab goes down or to give me the ability to play around with different amps/cab for recording? 

3 hours ago, chriss5471 said:

I know the HX Effects is available but my thought is can I use this basically as a HX Effects but have the backing of the amp/cab simulation as a backup in case my amp/cab goes down or to give me the ability to play around with different amps/cab for recording? 

Go for the Stomp, it would be a way better option then the pod go for you, Pod go is like a all in one get up and go thing, Hx Stomp, Is better used with pedals, audio interface. or use as a backup for amps and cabs, or it has a group of effects you wouldn't buy on their own.

22 minutes ago, Nylander88 said:

Go for the Stomp, it would be a way better option then the pod go for you, Pod go is like a all in one get up and go thing, Hx Stomp, Is better used with pedals, audio interface. or use as a backup for amps and cabs, or it has a group of effects you wouldn't buy on their own.

I was always put off by the stomp through the lack of expression pedal adding albeit minor cost and the fact it only has three foot switches making it more fiddly to switch between effects.  Again I know you can add further controllers but surely that means you need a better memory to know which effect you are switching on and off?  I like the clear screen of this coupled with the extra switches making putting effects on and off quite easy.

12 minutes ago, chriss5471 said:

I was always put off by the stomp through the lack of expression pedal adding albeit minor cost and the fact it only has three foot switches making it more fiddly to switch between effects.  Again I know you can add further controllers but surely that means you need a better memory to know which effect you are switching on and off?  I like the clear screen of this coupled with the extra switches making putting effects on and off quite easy.

I thought the same thing, but as time went on I became attached to it. Right now six blocks Is just enough for me. I originally had an expression pedal but it sat in my basement for 4 months. this is better for things like a back end for your pedalboard, a back up for your amps or for recording.

• Like 1

I have a pedalboard that I use for shows made up of all individual pedals that I leave in my rehearsal space and I really wanted an all-in-one solution (that is not as pricey as the Helix) for recording at home. I bought the Pod GO to replace my HX stomp because there are 6 programmable footswitches instead of 3 but it's a bit misleading because although you get 6 effect blocks, every preset you make will come with an EQ pedal and an FX loop block and YOU CANNOT DELETE THEM or swap them for other effects. In addition they are auto-assigned to two footswitches.  The wah and volume makes sense but I feel like EQ and an FX loop would be two of the last blocks I would need and the first ones I would sacrifice to run other blocks. An EQ is nice to have in the chain but do I need a footswitch for it? No, I would just leave it on. I like to use a compressor and reverb as well but again, things that I leave on and don't need a switch for. With the Pod Go, if it's in the chain, you HAVE to assign it to a switch. The other block they force you to have is the FX loop. This is nice if you want to expand the board with other pedals, but I would much rather have an editable block with the OPTION of an FX loop but I don't want to be forced to have it. How many people that are using the Pod GO with the intention of adding pedals anyway? It feels like it's supposed to be an all-in-one device. It does come with an EXP input where you could connect a third party footswitch to control more blocks but since they only give you 4 editable blocks (5, if you count the unremovable EQ), there's noting to control! I guess if you use snapshots this could be helpful but I just like to use stomp mode. Just wanted a VOX AC30 tone with 6 effects of my choosing. Nope. Perhaps they will add more blocks in an update but at this price point, I doubt it's possible. I do really like the size and the large display with a simplified interface and sounds just as good as my HX stomp. I guess what I'm looking for is something between the HX Stomp and the Helix LT. I've been using Line 6 gear for 20 years and I was so excited to get this as I thought it would be my all-in-one recording solution but I'll just stick with my HX Stomp and build a small board with some additional pedals. Maybe I just have to eat it and get a Helix.  If I'm totally way off here or someone has any ideas, I would love the feedback. Cheers. 

41 minutes ago, drewdemaio said:

... Just wanted a VOX AC30 tone with 6 effects of my choosing. Nope. ......  If I'm totally way off here or someone has any ideas, I would love the feedback. Cheers. 

No, you are not totally way off. But if having 6 FX of your choosing is what you wanted, you bought the wrong device. It’s not designed or advertised that way. It’s designed and marketed as a device with up to 4 ‘flex’ FX. You can’t replace a fixed FX block with a flex one. That likely won’t change in any future firmware update; it’s built into the dynamic DSP management.

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

No, you are not totally way off. But if having 6 FX of your choosing is what you wanted, you bought the wrong device. It’s not designed or advertised that way. It’s designed and marketed as a device with up to 4 ‘flex’ FX. You can’t replace a fixed FX block with a flex one. That likely won’t change in any future firmware update; it’s built into the dynamic DSP management.

@drewdemaioI think you should also be mindful of the 'up to' 4 flex fx that Silverhead quite correctly referred to. Depending on the amp/preamp and/or FX you select you might use up the available DSP and only have three (& in extreme cases two)  flex fx blocks.  If you need to run an amp/cab plus 6 fx you'll need Helix LT - it costs more than Pod Go (roughly double in the UK) but is a lot less than the full Helix and its a little lighter and smaller than Helix (but not by a huge amount).  

You've raised some interesting points however re the limitations when assigning footswitches and what you'd assign to eg the two extra footswitches (momentary unlatching) that you can plug in.  @silverhead has drewdemaio understood that correctly?  Also, if you do plug in extra switches can these control snap shots too or just basic stomp on/off functions for 2 single fx - I ask because the manual refers to these as 'stomp switches'?

I’ve never used the external footswitches 7 and 8 and don’t really know how they operate, nor how they can access additional stomps. I’m pretty sure they can’t be used for snapshot selection.

I do know that all switchable blocks (EQ, FX Loop, up to 4 flex blocks) are by default automatically assigned to one of the 6 footswitches, but you can change that. Read the Bypass/Control section of the manual for more info about your FS assignment options.

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

I’ve never used the external footswitches 7 and 8 and don’t really know how they operate, nor how they can access additional stomps. I’m pretty sure they can’t be used for snapshot selection.

I do know that all switchable blocks (EQ, FX Loop, up to 4 flex blocks) are by default automatically assigned to one of the 6 footswitches, but you can change that. Read the Bypass/Control section of the manual for more info about your FS assignment options.

If the extra footswitches can't be used for snapshots then I'm unclear what the advantages are of adding 2 extra footswitches.  If EQ, fx insert plus up to 4 flex fx are the 6 stomp footswitches, what can the other 2 external footswitches be set to do? There must be some advantage here or why would Line 6 offer the facility?

@Digital_Igloocould you offer any clarification here please? Thanks.

4 hours ago, nic9981 said:

Hi there,

Would it be possible to connect the Pod Go to the courtesy outlet on a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2?

Many thanks,

Nic

It will work, yes. The only issue might be physically connecting the POD Go’s wall wart to the outlet.

23 minutes ago, Warryhoods said:

How come on the user manual, some of the effects listed are shaded more than others? Couldn't figure it out, is there a reason for it? 

As I recall, the dark color are HX, the lighter color are one of the others...M class, FM, DL etc...

On 6/18/2020 at 10:28 AM, spaceatl said:

As I recall, the dark color are HX, the lighter color are one of the others...M class, FM, DL etc...

What are the definitions of M, FM, DL? I presume Hx means Helix "class."

5 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

What are the definitions of M, FM, DL? I presume Hx means Helix "class."

The lighter colours are Line 6 legacy effects eg taken from the green Line 6 DL4 delay, purple FM4 filter modeler pedal, yellow DM4 distortion modeller, M5/M13 multi-fx  pedals etc.  In the edit software you'll even see an icon of some of the dedicated legacy pedals that you just drag into your signal chain. See 9:01 to 9:21, 11:34 & 15:07 here:

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2020 at 6:15 AM, gunpointmetal said:

Are the four "pick your own" blocks freely configurable in the signal chain?

Yes, you can pick any effect, and move their position, including the volume and wah. Each block has parameters to configure

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a few questions.  I hope someone can please help.

Does the Pod Go have a drum machine? I don't gig, but I practise a lot, and I'm considering buying it for the awesome sounds.  I currently use a Zoom G2u effects unit which has an in-built drum machine (bpm easily changed), which I find invaluable.  Presumably I could plug the Zoom into the Pod Go if the Pod doesn't have one?

I also use a Boss Loop Station foot pedal.  I'm assuming the Pod Go has a loop facility?

I note the Helix HX6 has the facility to change key – eg. hit a switch and it will move up/down a half-step.  Does the Pod Go have this facility also?

Many thanks in anticipation.

1) No, the POD Go does not include a drum machine. Yes, you can connect your external drum machine to the POD Go’s FX Return input.

2) The POD Go has a looper but if you use a looper heavily you should keep your external looper. Using both an external drum machine and looper simultaneously will require an external mixer to feed both signals into the POD Go’s FX Return input.

3) The POD Go has a monophonic pitch shifter like Helix. Good for single notes, not so good with chords.

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2020 at 4:07 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

POD Go FAQ
What’s the deal with POD Go?
POD Go is Line 6’s all new next generation POD, built to toss into your backpack or carry-on and take anywhere. Oh, and it’s incredibly easy to use—might be the easiest POD since the original POD in 1999.

How much can you run simultaneously?
Each preset in POD Go includes the following blocks:

• Input with Noise Gate
  • Amp or Preamp (all HX models)
  • Hybrid Cab from Helix—OR—1x Impulse Response (up to 128 user IRs can be loaded into POD Go via the Mac/PC editor)
  • Preset EQ (any HX type)
  • Wah (any HX type)
  • Up to 4 additional effects (any HX type), with the following caveats:
    • Three HX effects models have been omitted due to their size (Tone Sovereign, Clawthorn Drive, and Cosmos Echo)
    • All Distortions, Dynamics, and Pitch/Synth blocks are mono only (which precludes the stereo-only 3 OSC Synth)
    • All other effects are stereo only
  • Volume Pedal
  • FX Loop (mono or stereo)
  • Output with Volume and Pan

The FX Loop and Preset EQ blocks are automatically assigned to stomp switches, and adding any additional effects automatically assigns them to the remaining stomp switches. Press and hold any two stomp switches to swap them.

If it has nearly all models from HX and Helix products, why call this a POD at all?
The original POD set the standard for ease-of-use in digital guitar and bass products. We wanted POD Go to be ridiculously easy-to-use, which meant purposefully omitting some power user features one would expect to find in HX or Helix-branded products. And not putting the best modeling possible in a box just because it happens to be less expensive—or have a different name—is weak sauce.

What about some of the cooler Helix features like Snapshots, color switch rings, block copy/paste, 3-second footswitch assignment, 3-second controller assignment, multichannel USB audio, and re-amping?
POD Go has all of these.

So can you use this on professional gigs?
Of course. The main outputs on POD Go are balanced/unbalanced and with TRS 1/4” to XLR M cables, can feed the front-of-house mixer—in stereo—without additional DI boxes. Then the 1/4” AMP OUT can be sent to your amp onstage (either echoing the Main Outs or tapped off before the Cab/IR block). The routable stereo send/return jacks can be used for 4-Cable Method.

Is there a Mac/PC editor?
Yes. POD Go Edit is available now.

Does POD Go have an audio interface?
Yes. POD Go has a 4-in/4-out audio/MIDI interface with re-amping built in.

Why didn’t you put VDI, L6 LINK, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, MIDI, parallel paths, dual DSPs, cap-sense switches, scribble strips, blah blah blah?!
Because POD shouldn’t cost what Helix costs.

Dimensions/weight? Is it smaller than POD HD500X?
14.1”w x 9.1”d x 3.5”h; 5.2lbs
It’s way smaller and lighter than POD HD500X. Fits inside pretty much any backpack or carry-o

What’s the price?
POD Go sells for $449.99 US street.

When is POD Go shipping?
April.

Input/Output Impedance Chart

PODGoSpecs.PNG

Hi guys...Frank Ritchotte (Line 6) checked with the engineers and was told that the headphone output impedance for Pod Go is 32 Ohms, not 63 Ohms.  Assuming the info given to Frank was correct, to avoid confusion for folk choosing a set of headphones to use with Pod Go, could I suggest that the FAQ is changed? 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Farcito said:

TOOUGH YOU REALLY CANNOT RENAME THE SNAPSHOTS :(

Not at the moment but this and the ability to name multi parameter settings are the two biggest things Pod Go users want.  We can only hope Line 6 are listening & can add this to Pod Go.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, cristt said:

Is the exp pedal optical operated? I heard strange things about sun rays going into the chassis and messing up volume or whatever parameter...

Yes, the onboard pedal is optical. Direct sunlight can mess with its operation.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my POD Go back in early November and haven't put my guitar down since.  Absolutely love it.  One capability that would be awesome in a future update would be the ability to edit the actual effects and amps labels.  I get that Line 6 probably couldn't use the actual names for copyright reasons, but after it's purchased, who cares?  I'd love to able to give the effect and amp labels the actual names of the pedals and amps they are designed to recreate.  

Morning folks,  Im a beginner/intermediate player who owns a Pocket POD & Loves the preloaded "Song Tones" and the intuitive way I can navigate it. I feel lost looking onto the POD GO and other Line 6 amps. Does the POD GO have these?  Im scared of spending the money on something that might be over my head. Any help would be appreciated! 

• 5 months later...

I recently purchased a Headrush 108 frfr as my amp out from the Pod Go. If I try playing audio from my tablet into the effects Aux/Return I am unable to hear the music volume throught the Headrush frfr. Can someone help explain if this can work with the guitar amp out. I can hear the music and guitar signal if I use my headphones . Apologies if I seem lacking in my understanding of the Pod Go. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi all..sorry i'm newbie and  have a stupid question maybe anyone can help,

what is the basic different between AMP OUT and Main Out?, in my case i have line 6 spider IV (no send/return only guitar in & Headphone Out), what is the better way to connect to my spider amp? using Amp Out or Main Out ?.

I want to use AMP & CAB simulator from POD GO, thank you.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...