Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.9

ponsolle

On 2/24/2020 at 7:51 AM,  cruisinon2 said: 

WHERE'S MY FREE $HIT?!?! WHERE'S MY FREE $HIT?!?!

48 minutes ago, spikey said:

What he said!!! ; )

Somebody in the know could have hinted that it will happen on a Tuesday, maybe even next ...

... and 6 weeks seems not too bad for soon ;-)

10 hours ago, MartinDorr said:
   On 2/24/2020 at 7:51 AM,  cruisinon2 said: 

WHERE'S MY FREE $HIT?!?! WHERE'S MY FREE $HIT?!?!

Somebody in the know could have hinted that it will happen on a Tuesday, maybe even next ...

... and 6 weeks seems not too bad for soon ;-)

Fwiw, I really couldn't care less when it arrives... I've managed well over 2 years without 2.9 and the magic beans contained therein, whatever they are. I'll take it whenever it gets here, gratefully... but I just don't have the time or the energy to be perched on the edge of my seat for this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, this next update sounds like it's mostly another round of more amp and pedal models. Humbug!  I'd really rather see some cool new features and capabilities such as the ones posted on Ideascale.  If they're going to add more models of pedals, at least pick some unique ones from the likes of Strymon and EH.  Otherwise, meh!  The Helix is perfectly fine the way it is.

26 minutes ago, hideout said:

Yeah, this next update sounds like it's mostly another round of more amp and pedal models. Humbug!  I'd really rather see some cool new features and capabilities such as the ones posted on Ideascale.  If they're going to add more models of pedals, at least pick some unique ones from the likes of Strymon and EH.  Otherwise, meh!  The Helix is perfectly fine the way it is.

The new Command Center options in 2.9 are actually quite cool, and they're things that people have been asking for in one way or another for quite awhile. You'll be able to assign a snapshot (or two different snapshots) to any footswitch in Stomp Mode. You'll also be able to do the same thing with presets (so if you want to create something akin to a favorite preset switch, you can do it). You'll also be able to assign Looper functions to any Stomp switch, meaning you won't have to go into Looper Mode to use the 6-Switch Looper.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, hideout said:

I'm not exactly "meh". I'm always happy with some new amps and pedals. The IR thing should be nice for folks that use IRs. I used to be all-in on IRs but now I prefer the stock cabs.

But I do agree that Helix is pretty near perfect the way it is. I'm so happy with the Helix and everything it does, unless they have something I haven't even considered planned for 3.0, I'm thinking Helix is more on a slow evolutionary path. If they changed it radically, I may not like it anymore!

So I'm perfectly happy with incremental new amps/cabs/pedals, bug fix and polishing updates. I would really like something like a FreqOut pedal built-in.

Besides the new features I mentioned above, some of the new models are really nice. The Red Llama and Legacy Drive are great sounding OD/distortion models (the Red Llama, in particular is THICK - kind of like a Big Muff and TS808 had a baby or something). The Revv Purple channel sounds very good, too.

• Upvote 1

I'm somewhat on the 'Humbug-Side' ... ;-)

Maybe my ears are underdelevoped, but i am more than satisfied (better: overwhelmed) by the number of models ... i don't really hear the difference between 50 Overdrives and most of the amps are pretty flexible in creating  a lot of tones....esp. by adding arbitrary combinations of them and cabs and IRs and ....

I don't see serious 'gaps' in the spectrum of possible sounds and can't imagine some overdrives or amps (modelled after real ones) bringing completely new sounds and flavours to the device.

Just even more scrolling to do .... ;-)

• Upvote 1

While I would like certain drive models and some FX, I really don't need any. I'd vastly prefer a huge usability update. At least they seem to have adressed the dreaded IR issue (still curious to know whether it really solves all related problems...) and I will likely make some use of the control center improvements. But there's still a truckload of things where the Helix could do with *massive* improvements in terms of usability, so I'm actually already hoping for 3.0.

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

While I would like certain drive models and some FX, I really don't need any. I'd vastly prefer a huge usability update. At least they seem to have adressed the dreaded IR issue (still curious to know whether it really solves all related problems...) and I will likely make some use of the control center improvements. But there's still a truckload of things where the Helix could do with *massive* improvements in terms of usability, so I'm actually already hoping for 3.0.

weird....the most user friendy, simple to operate piece of pro gear in the history of modelling.......apparantly needs "massive " imporvements.

I also have no trouble with the 4 IRs I have loaded - non of which I currently use at all.

3 hours ago, lawrence_Arps said:

weird....the most user friendy, simple to operate piece of pro gear in the history of modelling.......apparantly needs "massive " imporvements.

I also have no trouble with the 4 IRs I have loaded - non of which I currently use at all.

There's no problem with you being happy. 

But there's also no problem with me asking for some things (which I have extremely good reasons for).

And no, it's not weird at all. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, lawrence_Arps said:

There is always room for improvement. Always. 

On 3/1/2020 at 3:42 PM, phil_m said:

The new Command Center options in 2.9 are actually quite cool, and they're things that people have been asking for in one way or another for quite awhile. You'll be able to assign a snapshot (or two different snapshots) to any footswitch in Stomp Mode. You'll also be able to do the same thing with presets (so if you want to create something akin to a favorite preset switch, you can do it). You'll also be able to assign Looper functions to any Stomp switch, meaning you won't have to go into Looper Mode to use the 6-Switch Looper.

What if you’re in Snap/Preset mode?

4 minutes ago, hideout said:

What if you’re in Snap/Preset mode?

It's just like any other commands you assign to footswitches now. They're only accessible in Stomp Mode or in one of the views where those Stomp switches are visible. So if you have Preset Mode set to Snap/Stomp, Stomp/Snap, Preset/Stomp or Stomp/Preset, you could access these new functions. But in Snap/Preset Mode you'll have to hit the Mode footswitch to go into Stomp Mode to access them.

Is 2.9 gonna be the stepping stone to "faster" updates that 2.8 was supposed to be? The staff had mentioned prior to 2.8 that the "core" architecture was going to lead to more/faster updates, which a lot of people read as "we'll get updates an a shorter cycle" and so far, it seems to be pretty standard. I'm not complaining, the thing already does more than I need it to most of the time, but I'm curious.

8 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Is 2.9 gonna be the stepping stone to "faster" updates that 2.8 was supposed to be? The staff had mentioned prior to 2.8 that the "core" architecture was going to lead to more/faster updates, which a lot of people read as "we'll get updates an a shorter cycle" and so far, it seems to be pretty standard. I'm not complaining, the thing already does more than I need it to most of the time, but I'm curious.

I don't know that anyone from Line 6 ever said that their goal was to increase the pace/size of updates compared to what they've been. I think it's more like the Helix Core was necessary for them to continue doing updates at a reasonable pace for all the SKUs that are part of the HX/Helix universe. From what I've seen behind the scenes, it certainly things they are more nimble now, and there are kind of a lot slick improvements they're making.

I think the pace may increase a bit, but don't hold me to that, and, as always, I don't speak for Line 6. I know that the 3.0 is going to be quite large, though.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I don't know that anyone from Line 6 ever said that their goal was to increase the pace/size of updates compared to what they've been. I think it's more like the Helix Core was necessary for them to continue doing updates at a reasonable pace for all the SKUs that are part of the HX/Helix universe. From what I've seen behind the scenes, it certainly things they are more nimble now, and there are kind of a lot slick improvements they're making.

I think the pace may increase a bit, but don't hold me to that, and, as always, I don't speak for Line 6. I know that the 3.0 is going to be quite large, though.

I'll be ready for Winter NAMM 2021's "SOON" announcement, lol. 

On 3/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, phil_m said:

It's just like any other commands you assign to footswitches now. They're only accessible in Stomp Mode or in one of the views where those Stomp switches are visible. So if you have Preset Mode set to Snap/Stomp, Stomp/Snap, Preset/Stomp or Stomp/Preset, you could access these new functions. But in Snap/Preset Mode you'll have to hit the Mode footswitch to go into Stomp Mode to access them.

Boo. I never leave the Snap/Preset mode and would never want to.

3 hours ago, hideout said:

Boo. I never leave the Snap/Preset mode and would never want to.

I kinda stay there myself hideout. Nice to have the option to switch however!

On 3/1/2020 at 3:42 PM, phil_m said:

Um...Phil...I'm pretty sure the goal is to get people to chill out and be patient.  You could just say something like, 'it's nothing big...a couple of patch items and some new architecture".  BAM...everybody's eyes will glaze over and the topic will die down.

4 hours ago, PiFromBRC said:

Um...Phil...I'm pretty sure the goal is to get people to chill out and be patient.  You could just say something like, 'it's nothing big...a couple of patch items and some new architecture".  BAM...everybody's eyes will glaze over and the topic will die down.

Lets keeps the goals on the football field. I hope its never released, until its ready to be. If that excites people and makes them blow snot bubbles then so be it. And Phil's not a politician, he tells it as he see's it (unless NDA's are involved of course). I may not always agree with him, but I respect that.  ; )

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2020 at 5:59 PM, spikey said:

Lets keeps the goals on the football field. I hope its never released, until its ready to be. If that excites people and makes them blow snot bubbles then so be it. And Phil's not a politician, he tells it as he see's it (unless NDA's are involved of course). I may not always agree with him, but I respect that.  ; )

But what if my goal is to go to the bathroom.  Do you want me to leave that on a football field?

On 3/6/2020 at 1:16 PM, PiFromBRC said:

Um...Phil...I'm pretty sure the goal is to get people to chill out and be patient.

Well if that were true they wouldn’t announce anything at all. 

On 3/8/2020 at 6:48 PM, hideout said:

Well if that were true they wouldn’t announce anything at all. 

There actually hasn't been an official announcement as far as a press release or anything like that regarding the 2.9 firmware. They gave a presentation at the Helix User Group party at NAMM and went through it, but they went to great pains to make clear that it wasn't an official announcement, per se. It's all subject to change (although 2.9 is pretty much exactly what was discussed at the party). But at that party, they didn't allow video, photos, or any other sort of recording. They allowed people to share details after the fact... I suppose it's somewhat of moot point, but I think they're trying to tread the line between sharing information and having people nag them over stuff.

11 hours ago, phil_m said:

...but I think they're trying to tread the line between sharing information and having people nag them over stuff.

The best of luck to them with that, lol...nagging is eternal. Just ask any married man. ;)

• Haha 1

DI says at TGP, that 2.90 adds output and gain reduction meters to Helix Floor, Rack, and LT.

He also said: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-2-9.2053030/page-67

Not that anyone asked or should care, but here's my take:

• Line 6 is the most transparent company in this industry, sometimes to a fault. Anyone who thinks we're not sharing enough might as well say "Amazon isn't big enough!" or "B$%#&@ger needs to copy more!"
  • At NAMM, we knew what would be in 2.90 and decided to share this inside information—and beer/wine—with some friends. (We also showed a ton of early Helix and HX Stomp design prototypes and Ben discussed details on our modeling process.) And we have plans to do it again next NAMM
  • Hence, there's been no official 2.90 announcement
  • As of this writing, 2.90 is ahead of schedule
  • I just want to design gear. Other than my family, friends, and dog, it's pretty much all I think about. The only reason I pay attention to sales is that if a Helix/HX/POD box sells well enough, YGG lets Team Helix take greater risks when designing the next boxes. And at the height of the 2.80 madness, when everyone and their mom was screaming for an update, sales of Helix/HX products shot UP. So yeah. Please. Complain away

I say we make um richer and start bitching more... ; )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retro-Rick said:

Great reference, what's up with your avatar, that's ubur creepy!

"Ubur" ? I think you meant "Uber"- denoting an outstanding or supreme example of a particular kind of person or thing. 

8 hours ago, spikey said:

"Ubur" ? I think you meant "Uber"- denoting an outstanding or supreme example of a particular kind of person or thing. 

Thanks Mr Oxford Dictionary, for correcting my spelling... Uber helpful....

• Haha 1