Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.9

ponsolle

27 minutes ago, willjrock said:

Whats up with manual to this madness?  To which firmware version does the latest manual stretch, to cover in its entirety?

Manual, madness? I’m not entirely sure what you are referring to.

If you are referring to the Helix Owner’s Manual, it has been mentioned many times on this forum that Line 6 only release a new manual on major Firmware Revisions. Therefore the next fully updated Manual will be with version 3.0 of the Helix firmware. There are Acrobat PDF versions of intermediate versions available - Helix 2.0 Rev D.

If there is some particular information that you’re looking for just ask, I’m sure someone on here will have an answer.

Or, you could try:

https://helixhelp.com

which has an up to date list of all the models in HX units

9 minutes ago, datacommando said:

If there is some particular information that you’re looking for just ask, I’m sure someone on here will have an answer.

Mostly general info.... i figured with the last few updates, Helix is doing more than ever, and i would take some of this newly acquired free time and catch up on the capabilities.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, willjrock said:

Mostly general info.... i figured with the last few updates, Helix is doing more than ever, and i would take some of this newly acquired free time and catch up on the capabilities.

Ah, on lockdown because of the zombie apocalypse - the Helix Help site has quite a few links to the manuals for the original amps, fx etc.,  that are modelled in the hardware. Could be some worthwhile reading material in there.

Have fun.

• Like 1

The HX Stomp and HX Effects User Manuals were published long after the existing Helix Floor User Manual dating back to Summer 2016 at the time firmware 2.1 was released. Notwithstanding the reduced feature sets of the HX Stomp and HX Effects, compared to the Helix Floor, there are useful bits of information to be found in these more recent User Manuals.

As has already been posted, until Helix firmware version 3.0 arrives with a fully updated User Manual, the current task involves a compilation of information from existing product documentation plus the various interim firmware Release Notes along with a variety of informative posts from Line 6 developers. HelixHelp.com is very useful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Output Meters
-Gain Reduction Meters
-Clip Indicators

Why in the world did they not include meters from the start in such a high profile device as the Helix?

I had a GT-10 back in 2008, and it had input and output meters,, this is super important in the digital domain.

Oh goody... Meter Madness returns! Get you're whining in soon gents, and be sure to prep for the next round of b1tching over congenital Helix flaws. Once we don't have a lack of meters to snivel about anymore, we'll need a new Existential Threat To Tone to complain about.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, cruisinon2 said:

Oh goody... Meter Madness returns! Get you're whining in soon gents, and be sure to prep for the next round of b1tching over congenital Helix flaws. Once we don't have a lack of meters to snivel about anymore, we'll need a new Existential Threat To Tone to complain about.

How about that tuner??? ;D

• Haha 3

Ah, so I understand the lack of meters and some old tuner issue was discussed to death at some point, sorry gents.

I'm new to the Helix as of few days now, and my starting firmware is v2.82, so I guess I missed all the meter threads eh. :D

1 minute ago, Ilya-V said:

Ah, so I understand the lack of meters and some old tuner issue was discussed to death at some point, sorry gents.

I'm new to the Helix as of few days now, and my starting firmware is v2.82, so I guess I missed all the meter threads eh. :D

Go over to The Gear Page - Digital and Modeling forum. In the big HELIX thread search for METERS.

If you're REALLY bored, search for TUNER.

For dessert search for Input Impedance.

If you read for several hours a day it'll only take a couple of weeks to catch up.

I'm exaggerating of course, but not by much.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

-Output Meters
-Gain Reduction Meters
-Clip Indicators

Why in the world did they not include meters from the start in such a high profile device as the Helix?

I had a GT-10 back in 2008, and it had input and output meters,, this is super important in the digital domain.

In the digital domain, whats more important is your ears.   Level me off here if i'm wrong.... 

I'm glad that they're adding these meters, especially the gain reduction. 

Here's hoping the next update brings polyphonic tuner and pitch shifter. With that, the Helix would be 100% what I want (currently it's 98.60% xD).

So glad that I discovered this device while reading user reviews of the boss gt1000, which I almost buy.

8 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

-Output Meters
-Gain Reduction Meters
-Clip Indicators

I find that the ones on either side of my head seem to work quite well. I think the technical term for them is “ears”!

Doh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even using a db meter, I find that presets where I use snapshots with Clean/crunch/distortion versions, distortion registers equal on the meter, but doesn't SOUND as loud, so I wind up using my ears anyway.

I do think, however, that the Gain Reduction meters will be useful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Even using a db meter, I find that presets where I use snapshots with Clean/crunch/distortion versions, distortion registers equal on the meter, but doesn't SOUND as loud, so I wind up using my ears anyway.

This. Given that the frequency response curves of our ears/ brain are decidedly not linear, it's the perception of volume that matters, not fixating on the number that a meter spits out.

• Like 1

Right, it's not about the balance of sounds presets,, yes, that's adjusted by ear according to venue etc..

It's about whether your guitar clips the ADC or the preset output clips the DAC.

But most importantly, to maximizing signal to noise ratio of the output DACs (analog outputs, fx loops, etc..), especially if the next stage in line is a higher gain one.

I'm not super experimented like yall, and I see the point of using your ears, as we are forced right now to do so, we don't have a choice...

But the point of having volume meters is mainly for helping with analysis when fixing issues, not about checking how the end result sounds.

44 minutes ago, Klaim said:

I'm not super experimented like yall, and I see the point of using your ears, as we are forced right now to do so, we don't have a choice...

But the point of having volume meters is mainly for helping with analysis when fixing issues, not about checking how the end result sounds.

This. Having meters won't hurt anyone. It will help some and it will be useless for some, but it won't change how they play or sound, so there's nothing to criticise :)

"Given that the frequency response curves of our ears/ brain are decidedly not linear, it's the perception of volume that matters, not fixating on the number that a meter spits out"

" I find that the ones on either side of my head seem to work quite well. I think the technical term for them is “ears”! "

Using your ears for tone and stage volume doesn't usually require a meter, but getting a 0db level out on multiple tracks sometimes does. Digital clipping occurs and then you are trying to "band-aid" that once in a lifetime track.  In other words, "perception" of the volume levels wont work in this regard. Yes, compressors & limiters on the master bus helps during mix-downs, but if you can put everything on a track @ 0db (or less) & without too much "tweaking" involved, it usually works out better with less effort later. As always, YMMV.  ;  )

• Upvote 2

about meters

thers a great story from thirty odd years ago of an american producer/engineer (Ill leave the names out to protect the innocent), who was brought over to New Zealand to record an album with one of our top bands> Arriving at the studio he proceeded to put masking tape over every meter in the studio .  He said he did not want to be tricked into making bad decisions based on the meters. He proceeded to engineer the album using only his ears for gain staging....and it sounded pretty good!

We are in the digital domain, watching meters is critically important, and especially important for maximizing signal-to-noise ratio after the output DACs.

Let me clarify my point;

The output DAC noise floor is fixed, so if your digital signal before the DAC is quiet you'll have to boost analog gain after the Helix thus boosting the noise floor.

So in the digital domain where DACs involved, to get the best SNR performance it is best to be at the upper region of the digital meters while not actually clipping.

Don't be shy to turn the Helix master volume up (it's completely digital) and turn you mixer/audio interface input gains down.

One can tape the entire screen to not be 'misguided' by silly meters, but I will definitely be using them, they are an important tool.

1 hour ago, lawrence_Arps said:

about meters

thers a great story from thirty odd years ago of an american producer/engineer (Ill leave the names out to protect the innocent), who was brought over to New Zealand to record an album with one of our top bands> Arriving at the studio he proceeded to put masking tape over every meter in the studio .  He said he did not want to be tricked into making bad decisions based on the meters. He proceeded to engineer the album using only his ears for gain staging....and it sounded pretty good!

This reminded me of another story, of a beginner guitarist who didn't have the ability to hear if his gear was clipping or not, and one day tried checking the meters, fixed some errors he had... And it sounded pretty good! ;-P

Jokes aside, we all get it: developing ears is a must. But there's no crime on using technology while you are working on it. Being able to see if something is wrong can make a huge difference for many players, resulting in better music, which is good for everyone. Even more: you can improve your listening by realizing, with the meters, that you were making mistakes.

• Upvote 3

On 3/20/2020 at 5:26 AM, lawrence_Arps said:

about meters

thers a great story ....

That reminds me of another story: There was a lumberjack who was so well trained that he could cut trees by juggling with three chainsaws.

Everybody was impressed - but since it took him double the time to cut a tree than all the others (and he used a lot more bandages) he ended up being unemployed.

;-)

I don’t understand why everyone is so sensitive about people being excited for the new update. Just because people are excited for the new update doesn’t mean that they’re bitching, it just means they’re excited.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ashetler1 said:

I don’t understand why everyone is so sensitive about people being excited for the new update. Just because people are excited for the new update doesn’t mean that they’re bitching, it just means they’re excited.

Fortunately, MOST people can tell the difference between bitching and being excited.

Also fortunate that MOST people know the difference between "Some people" and "Everyone".

Lastly, Freedom of Speech means that you're free to lollipop all you like.

It also means that others are free to criticize you for it.

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Fortunately, MOST people can tell the difference between bitching and being excited.

Also fortunate that MOST people know the difference between "Some people" and "Everyone".

Lastly, Freedom of Speech means that you're free to lollipop all you like.

It also means that others are free to criticize you for it.

Seems that is something "a lot of people" seem to forget. We all know one who is real bad about it.

18 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Seems that is something "a lot of people" seem to forget. We all know one who is real bad about it.

And we know what bitching about that will get us.......A LOCKED THREAD!

I see what you did, you edited it to avoid political implications. But we ALL know who you're talking about.....nod nod, wink wink ;-)

Damn I missed all the fun again... 

11 hours ago, rd2rk said:

That would take someone from Line-6 being here lol lol ...

I was a little hesitant to ask, but here goes (hesitant because I don't want to get jumped on for being insensitive to the covad-19 crisis)

With so many of us home these days, I'd love for 2.9 or 3.0. to be released.

Do you think the engineers and code writers are working from home and may be able to release2.9 soon, or is this a more -collaborative office effort where everyone needs to be under one roof, so development and error checking has been put on hold?

I have no idea how the employees working on this project work together (offsite vs. onsite).  Any idea?

1 minute ago, talonmm said:

I was a little hesitant to ask, but here goes (hesitant because I don't want to get jumped on for being insensitive to the covad-19 crisis)

Do you think the engineers and code writers are working from home and may be able to release2.9 soon, or is this a more -collaborative office effort where everyone needs to be under one roof, so development and error checking has been put on hold?

I have no idea how the employees working on this project work together (offsite vs. onsite).  Any idea?

Maybe you should read the link in Blue Stripe Banner at the top of this page named "Line 6/YGG Company Update", below the Black and Orange Banner.

Hope you don't get this bug.

16 minutes ago, talonmm said:

I hope they're safe at home. The next update can wait (as everything else in our lives currently) :)

This might be a good chance to explore even further all the capabilities in the Helix. 

15 minutes ago, talonmm said:

If Line6 is anything like my job and has security requirements, then they probably rushed to get everyone setup with vpn to work from home with.  Then they would just rgr into a machine in their datacenter...if they have a datacenter.. It just depends on how the company is setup..  It's rather small compared to the company I work for so it might have a lot fewer security restrictions.... they may not even have  a datacenter.  It would be interesting to know how Line6 functions, but they could never tell the details due to legal matters.

Technically no software developers and whatnot HAVE to be under one roof.  They could all in theory work remote.  Some of them were probably already setup to do so.

14 hours ago, rd2rk said:

I see what you did, you edited it to avoid political implications. But we ALL know who you're talking about.....nod nod, wink wink ;-)

Yes, I did. Its hard not to bring that person up when talking about free speech, and criticism.  

I am not wrong.... nudge nudge, wink wink ;-)

Since it is abundantly obvious, and no one is actually mentioned, where is the need for censorship? ;)

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

Maybe you should read the link in Blue Stripe Banner at the top of this page named "Line 6/YGG Company Update", below the Black and Orange Banner.

Hope you don't get this bug.

I suppose I could do the research and read everything under the sun, but short of that, I thought perhaps a helpful thought or answer from a user or employee would be better.  Luckily for me, others were more helpful.

8 hours ago, talonmm said:

I suppose I could do the research and read everything under the sun, but short of that, I thought perhaps a helpful thought or answer from a user or employee would be better.  Luckily for me, others were more helpful.

Ha, ha,

“helpful thought or answer from a user or employee would be better”.

Well, the chances of a Line 6 employee responding are possibly somewhere south of zero.

The best chance of a comment from them is to post on TGP or the FarceBuck groups where Frank and Eric are often known to lurk and reply. Posting here is like posting to the wastelands of the forgotten, even though the forum is branded as Line 6 it’s not gonna help. You’re crying in the dark!

Enjoy what you already have - right now.

Edited by datacommando

13 hours ago, datacommando said:

Ha, ha,

“helpful thought or answer from a user or employee would be better”.

Well, the chances of a Line 6 employee responding are possibly somewhere south of zero.

The best chance of a comment from them is to post on TGP or the FarceBuck groups where Frank and Eric are often known to lurk and reply. Posting here is like posting to the wastelands of the forgotten, even though the forum is branded as Line 6 it’s not gonna help. You’re crying in the dark!

Enjoy what you already have - right now.

I thought there was one person who replies on this forum often that worked for line 6.  Perhaps he just has a lot of inside information.

I am fascinated by how the line 6 team writes code for the Helix family, and was hoping to gain some insight into if this is done under one roof or remotely. 

All good, stay safe everyone!  And in the grand scheme of things,  what's going on in the world, certainly puts the complaining and anxiety of waiting for these updates into proper perspective.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 8:04 AM, talonmm said:

I know pretty much all of them are working from home right now. Whether or not they'll be able to release the update during this time, I don't know. I imagine it's probably not a big deal from a feasibility standpoint, but things like QA/QC might be harder now.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, phil_m said:

I know pretty much all of them are working from home right now. Whether or not they'll be able to release the update during this time, I don't know. I imagine it's probably not a big deal from a feasibility standpoint, but things like QA/QC might be harder now.

Thanks Phil, you're the guy I was referring too as someone who knows a lot about how Line 6 works!