Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.9

ponsolle

OK, Im probably pissin up a rope but here goes-, It would be real nice (now that most of us are at home for a while because of that nasty virus) to learn and play with a new update on Helix. Since most if not all the devs/writers of that code are probably at home as well, it would also be nice if they could comment here on a current status. I'm not asking for specific details, but just a ballpark idea of timeframes on where they are. Yea, I know that doesn't happen much here (maybe at TGP) but it would be real nice of them if they could/would do this here, or anywhere else for that matter.  FWIW, Thanks for your consideration. 

9 minutes ago, spikey said:

OK, Im probably pissin up a rope but here goes-, It would be real nice (now that most of us are at home for a while because of that nasty virus) to learn and play with a new update on Helix. Since most if not all the devs/writers of that code are probably at home as well, it would also be nice if they could comment here on a current status. I'm not asking for specific details, but just a ballpark idea of timeframes on where they are. Yea, I know that doesn't happen much here (maybe at TGP) but it would be real nice of them if they could/would do this here, or anywhere else for that matter.  FWIW, Thanks for your consideration. 

Don't forget your mask and gloves when you're pissin' up that rope. :-)

BUT....over on TGP Frank said that, while we're not getting ready for a landing yet, you might want to finish your drink and use the restroom......

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Don't forget your mask and gloves when you're pissin' up that rope. :-)

BUT....over on TGP Frank said that, while we're not getting ready for a landing yet, you might want to finish your drink and use the restroom......

Since we're all wearing gloves, I think L6 should donate a free JTV to the first guy who volunteers to hold the rope.

A little positive PR for the Relay G10S firmware mess...;)

9 hours ago, spikey said:

@spikey: Can you remember a year ago when I was going nuts because of the time lag and the silence? ;-)

You were able to argument good and bring me down again. THIS year you are in the same situation than I were.

Take it cool. Line6 is working on the update and every day we are getting closer to the release. We will not get more usefull infos until it's very close to be bug free.

You can pee a rope... you can lollipop a circle... or however you name it. Do you think L6 will work faster because of your anger? NO :-)

Do you think you will get more infos because of your writing? NO :-)

On 3/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, phil_m said:

I know pretty much all of them are working from home right now. Whether or not they'll be able to release the update during this time, I don't know. I imagine it's probably not a big deal from a feasibility standpoint, but things like QA/QC might be harder now.

Even if they can QA/QC remotely and much as it would be a lot of fun to get a bunch of new features and effects right now I imagine it's a risky proposition to put a new release out during a crisis. A lot of people are probably at home playing and recording up a storm with their HX devices. Not a good time to have people who are already stressed out from COVID19 freaking out because their update froze or they found a new bug that interferes with their previous workflow.  What am I saying, aw heck, go for it Line6! We could all use a new toy we can play with at home right about now :-)

On 4/4/2020 at 1:25 AM, manix1979 said:

THIS year you are in the same situation than I were.

No, I'm really not upset. I enjoy Helix as it is. I just wish once Line-6 would change their silence ways to such a degree of posting "something" on their own page. That's better than nothing at all. But Like I said at the first of the message I didn't really expect them to. They make great stuff, but frankly (virus or no virus) their communication dept has always sucked. I had hope when D.I. was here for a while and let us in on some kewl things to come, but I have seen nothing as of late. Maybe I just missed it? If not then that's actually a shame and not because I requested it, because it just is.  So no, I'm not in a "situation", Im not blowing snot-bubbles- I just wish they would change their ways a bit. ; )

2 hours ago, spikey said:

No, I'm really not upset. I enjoy Helix as it is.

Same for me :-)

The silence will not change. It took a while for me to accept. You can write whatever you want. L6 reads it for sure but don’t await any reaction as long as you stay on a normal level. I guess we will get more info as soon as bugs are getting less and they are close to release. Sure „soon“ is a very wide time gap and depends on how you see it. 

And of course we would have enough time to test it currently. Corona will give us sadly a bit more work free weeks. 

7 hours ago, manix1979 said:

Same for me :-)

The silence will not change. It took a while for me to accept. You can write whatever you want. L6 reads it for sure but don’t await any reaction as long as you stay on a normal level. I guess we will get more info as soon as bugs are getting less and they are close to release. Sure „soon“ is a very wide time gap and depends on how you see it. 

And of course we would have enough time to test it currently. Corona will give us sadly a bit more work free weeks. 

Come on spikey, I know you know this. But for anybody else who's just now discovered Helix, if you REALLY want to be kept up to date by REAL Line6 representatives (as opposed to just whining about why they don't hang out HERE), this is where you go:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-3309#post-30295169

That's the most recent page as of today, and you may have to (OMG!) SEARCH for posts by @DigitalIgloo, but if you really want to know, this is where to go.

And since we're waxing poetic:

32 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Well you know what they say... wish in one hand and $hit in the other, see which one fills up first...;)

S'truth!

On 4/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Even if they can QA/QC remotely and much as it would be a lot of fun to get a bunch of new features and effects right now I imagine it's a risky proposition to put a new release out during a crisis. A lot of people are probably at home playing and recording up a storm with their HX devices. Not a good time to have people who are already stressed out from COVID19 freaking out because their update froze or they found a new bug that interferes with their previous workflow.  What am I saying, aw heck, go for it Line6! We could all use a new toy we can play with at home right about now :-)

If someone out there is working on a serious project, they'd have to be a moron to do any major updates to hardware, software, OS, or otherwise until they're done.

21 hours ago, rd2rk said:

if you REALLY want to be kept up to date by REAL Line6 representatives (as opposed to just whining about why they don't hang out HERE), this is where you go:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-3309#post-30295169

You are also just as likely to find Frank or Eric commenting or contributing to this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/?ref=bookmarks

I'm sure everyone sees things differently, but I've always thought of this forum as a center for all things tech support. Since I'm not in QA or CS, there's not much I can do to help, honestly. Other forums like The Gear Page or the ever-increasing-number-of Facebook groups are more of a "Hey, let's all wax poetic on the hows and whys of products and product design," which is waaaay more my bag. When topics like that pop up here, there tends to be a more needlessly aggressive component that I'd rather avoid. But on days like today, I'll pop in just to check what's going on, occasionally exclaim "OH LAWD!" and then slink out again.

Of course if one believes forum interaction is an official part of our job, they'd be frustrated. Truth is, we post where we want to post because user interaction isn't in our job description.

On 3/18/2020 at 8:50 AM, Ilya-V said:

-Output Meters
-Gain Reduction Meters
-Clip Indicators

Why in the world did they not include meters from the start in such a high profile device as the Helix?

I had a GT-10 back in 2008, and it had input and output meters,, this is super important in the digital domain.

In a 32-bit floating point system, they're only really helpful if you're clipping the inputs (which is nearly impossible in Helix, since it has 123dB of dynamic range on the Guitar In) or outputs (which is also really hard to do unless you're going out of your way to overload them). On older fixed-point systems like your GT-10, meters can actually be helpful because the inputs and outputs could clip; in Helix, they're sort of a distraction that could very well cause more confusion than they help; for example, we predict an onslaught of people complaining that 2.90's output meters belie the perceived loudness differences in their presets, the reason for which we've explained dozens of times before. In fact, 2.90 is called "The Always Level Presets By Hand at Gig Volume with the Rest of the Band Playing Update."

Signal present indicators and gain reduction meters (on compressors and gates), however, are definitely helpful.

This is, I believe, my first post.  Not sure what the official role is of Digital_Igloo and piers, but I will say that when the Helix first came out, it was primarily his role in this forum that convinced me to get a Helix as soon as it came available in Canada.  I truly appreciate his open minded viewpoint on models (not just Helix), and very good tech advice (didn't realize it wasn't in the Job Description...).

So, DI, I hope you know that there are those who really value your input, even if the forum can get aggressive.

Please stay safe everyone (amidst the crazy coronavirus stuff).

I also really do love the Helix.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digital_Igloo said:

IWhen topics like that pop up here, there tends to be a more needlessly aggressive component that I'd rather avoid. But on days like today, I'll pop in just to check what's going on, occasionally exclaim "OH LAWD!" and then slink out again.

Kinda surprised you find the general decorum of the TGP forums better than here, as that place comes off as a cesspool of basement warriors mostly out touch with general existence, but I guess we all have different experiences. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Of course if one believes forum interaction is an official part of our job, they'd be frustrated. Truth is, we post where we want to post because user interaction isn't in our job description.

If I dare showed this kind of attitude towards my job, I'd be fired the next day.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, lungho said:

If I dare showed this kind of attitude towards my job, I'd be fired the next day.   

I think maybe you misunderstood what he was saying. They have no employment obligation to deal with anyone on any public forum or social media group, so any interaction they do have is entirely voluntary and unrelated to their job duties.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I think maybe you misunderstood what he was saying. They have no employment obligation to deal with anyone on any public forum or social media group, so any interaction they do have is entirely voluntary and unrelated to their job duties.

Exactly. It's not an attitude; it's fact. Full disclosure: In the past I've been asked by others in the building to post specific content and have always told them "no." As soon as I become a corporate monkey—or post anything other than what I want to post—all credibility is lost.

Why doesn't Digital Igloo post more?

Frank, Ben, Sam, and I post what we want, where we want, on our free time.

That's a terrible attitude for a corporate monkey.

I'm not a corporate monkey, which is why I don't post more.

But you ARE a corporate monkey, so why don't you post more?

Sigh... See you guys in a couple of months...

A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!!! ????? OMG - what’s happening in a couple of months? Is it going to take that long for Helix v2.9? Or maybe that’s when you’ll announce v3.0? Or OMG OMG is that when you will announce that the next gen modeler will be released? If I buy Helix now will it be obsolete that soon? Or what about a new Variax? We’ve been waiting to hear about that for a long time now. Or is Variax dead forever? OMG OMG A COUPLE OF MONTHS?? !!! WTF!!! WHAT’S HAPPENING????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Exactly. It's not an attitude; it's fact. Full disclosure: In the past I've been asked by others in the building to post specific content and have always told them "no." As soon as I become a corporate monkey—or post anything other than what I want to post—all credibility is lost.

No offense and FWIW..., when you start posting more on updates for Helix here 1st versus posting them over at TGP 1st, then we can talk about posting specific content. I don't care when 2.9 is released, I'd just like to see the news listed here 1st, that's all. That, and have you convince the others at work to release a few tidbits of info more often, like you used to do here.

Of Course you can do as you please as always, and so will I.  ; ) 

5 hours ago, lungho said:
  7 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

5 hours ago, lungho said:

*whoooooosh*. Let's translate this into even simpler words:

DI: 'Posting here is not part of my job. I do it on my own time.'
lungho: 'How dare you speak of your job like this! You should be fired!'

C'mon folks. Do better. The last thing I want is for Line 6 staff to stop posting entirely because of dumb personal opinions of how they should be doing their jobs, which you have ZERO SAY IN. Just stop. Grow up.

1 hour ago, qwerty42 said:

The last thing I want is for Line 6 staff to stop posting entirely

oops... Too late...

Do better? Ur relatively new and that's ok, but I don't think you quite understand qwerty. How could we possibly stop something here that never really existed? Other than a "spurt" or two of posts D.I. did on Helix firmware back before 2.8 updates here a while back, they never really started posting much news on "any" updates here, so they couldn't stop posting entirely unless they start lol... When is the last time "anyone" ever saw the CEO/OWNER of Line-6 post a damn thing here? I'll can give you examples of some that do (Fractal and Kemper) I have seen personally, and often on their own forum. So you see, It's not the user that's the problem and It's not the equipment either. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, spikey said:

oops... Too late...

Do better? Ur relatively new and that's ok, but I don't think you quite understand qwerty. How could we possibly stop something here that never really existed? Other than a "spurt" or two of posts D.I. did on Helix firmware back before 2.8 updates here a while back, they never really started posting much news on "any" updates here, so they couldn't stop posting entirely unless they start lol... When is the last time "anyone" ever saw the CEO/OWNER of Line-6 post a damn thing here? I'll can give you examples of some that do (Fractal and Kemper) I have seen personally, and often on their own forum. So you see, It's not the user that's the problem and It's not the equipment either. 

I think everyone should keep in mind that the L6 technical staff all have full-time jobs, which likely keep them 100% busy, and have nothing to do with this forum. Should L6 hire somebody to respond on this forum regularly as a L6 rep? Sure, maybe. But criticizing people like Digital Igloo for not posting here enough, when moderating these forums is 0% his actual job, is unfair.

Imagine yourself in his shoes: your job is product design. You finish your work each day, probably tired and ready to relax at home like anybody else. You have daily job tasks that have to get done, which 0% involve helping people on a forum. How would you like people to suggest you'd 'be fired the next day' for occasionally posting on your own time, completely outside your job responsibilities, and not doing it enough, or not doing it where some nobody says you should? I understand your frustration if you think this forum is a place to get support directly from Line 6 reps, but Digital Igloo isn't that person, and he has no obligation to post here at all.

Qwerty42 - you've engaged in what you think might be a logical discussion with spikey.

Logical is not his thing, he just likes to stir the pot, and he's got a "thing" for D.I.

It goes way back.

Just laugh.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Qwerty42 - you've engaged in what you think might be a logical discussion with spikey.

Logical is not his thing, he just likes to stir the pot, and he's got a "thing" for D.I.

It goes way back.

Just laugh.

Got it, noted. Thanks! *laughs* ;)

8 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Frank, Ben, Sam, and I post what we want, where we want, on our free time.

That's a terrible attitude for a corporate monkey.

I'm not a corporate monkey, which is why I don't post more.

But you ARE a corporate monkey, so why don't you post more?

Sigh... See you guys in a couple of months...

Totally hear you, man :( 

People, IMHO, if anything, we should write an email to Line6 support, suggesting them to have a community manager in these forums (and social media). Asking devs to write here as part of their jobs isn't cool.  

I work on a software company and they have a team of 4 people (2 from community management, 2 from support) checking the different communities (reddit, Twitter, Instagram, discord...). Developers never show up, and that's perfectly fine. If their input is needed, they're asked by the community management team. We don't even have forums. Forums are actually something from the past 

I think what we would all like here is some kind of weekly/monthly communication from Line 6 regarding the Helix updates. However, not many companies do that anyway. Most of them release updates when they're ready. 

@Digital_Igloo: couldn't you just mark some people as "ignored" and stay with us? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, molul said:

I think what we would all like here is some kind of weekly/monthly communication from Line 6 regarding the Helix updates. However, not many companies do that anyway. Most of them release updates when they're ready. 

@Digital_Igloo: couldn't you just mark some people as "ignored" and stay with us? 

Why is this so hard to understand? How many times does it need to be explained?

If you REALLY care about this, go to The Gear Page. Go to Facebook. That's where this stuff gets posted.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:42 AM, rd2rk said:

16 hours ago, datacommando said:

You are also just as likely to find Frank or Eric commenting or contributing to this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/?ref=bookmarks

Is it really all that hard to click those links and save them to your favorites?

I don't remember if it was here or over on TGP, but someone was saying that THIS forum serves as the "front lines" of Tech Support. It's where people come first to get help from other users, before they open a support ticket. It is not, and was never intended to be, a Line6 Customer Service or Official Announcements space. That stuff happens on the above sites.

It's not like they don't want to talk to us. And they talk to us more than any other Music Industry company. They just prefer to do it elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

It's certainly not difficult to understand. I was just trying to tell the devs to ignore the users with bad moods. Relax, please :) 

that said, it would make more sense sharing info on the official forums than in an external site. But that's just my opinion, and I repeat I'm fine with current situation. I'm not in a hurry for 2.9.

55 minutes ago, molul said:

that said, it would make more sense sharing info on the official forums than in an external site.

Defenitely. I for one don't want to deal with the TGP hobbyist dictators (I think they call themselves moderators) as they're dealing with their rules in a random fashion. Same goes for the big FB group. In case Mr. Boston doesn't like you, you're out, even in case you didn't post a thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Defenitely. I for one don't want to deal with the TGP hobbyist dictators (I think they call themselves moderators) as they're dealing with their rules in a random fashion. Same goes for the big FB group. In case Mr. Boston doesn't like you, you're out, even in case you didn't post a thing.

You have to realize thats all he has in life. He probably feels like hes god, being in charge of a facebook group. Hes getting respect for the first time in his life. I just try to let him have his moment in the sun.

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Whenever I've been in that kind of forum, I just leave and never look back. I don't mind if other people stay there, but I rather not feed people who don't know how to be a proper moderator. There are many other communities out there. 

And here we see exactly why DI doesn't post over here. On the whole, I think TGP is a grandpas forum for guys whose top 40 cover bands stopped adding songs in 1990, but at least they don't treat the staff that is VOLUNTARILY INTERACTING WITH YOU ONLINE like donkeys. Buncha entitled nerds. Lets get back to chasing features instead of harassing the staff. 

When do you think they'll add "wave pedals" like the Boss GT stuff? I'd love to have pitch, delay, and mod FX with automated effects parameters off a single button press. 

• Upvote 1