Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.9

ponsolle

3 minutes ago, molul said:

What's wave pedals? :O

It's a preset LFO controller. So you assign a rise time and a start/end parameter, let's day delay speed, where the start parameter is a low speed, and the end parameter is high speed. With a "wave" pedal, you hit one button and the delay speed increases at a preset speed from the start parameter to the end parameter. So you hit one button and your delay quickly goes from low delay to oscillation like you did a quick sweep with an expression pedal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Qwerty42 - you've engaged in what you think might be a logical discussion with spikey.

Logical is not his thing, he just likes to stir the pot, and he's got a "thing" for D.I.

It goes way back.

Just laugh.

Looks like I struck a nerve lol. Prove me wrong then rd2rk and put yer money where yer mouth is. I'm not talking about the "Experts" here. They do all they can do to cover for this "invisible" company info wise. Im talking about the freekin one that pays the light bill. Show me a "single" post from the CEO/Owner of Line-6 here, on this forum talking about Helix updates and fixes, and I'll apologize to the forum and shut up. And BTW- if you can't do that, then you do the same. ; )

15 minutes ago, molul said:

That sounds so cool! Did you post that on ideascale? I'd vote for that! :D

There was something similar with a different name on there, honestly can't remember what it was called because it was probably a year ago at least

8 minutes ago, spikey said:

Looks like I struck a nerve lol. Prove me wrong then rd2rk. Show me a "single" post from the CEO/Owner of Line-6 here, on this forum, and I'll apologize and shut up.

And BTW- if you can't do that, the you do the same. ; )

Nobody owes you that. Not a single person owes you that, not even a little bit. Being a d1ck to the few staff members that do get involved in conversation ON THEIR OWN TIME is a surefire way to make sure they don't. 

49 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Nobody owes you that. Not a single person owes you that, not even a little bit. Being a d1ck to the few staff members that do get involved in conversation ON THEIR OWN TIME is a surefire way to make sure they don't. 

Yea he does OWE me an explanation as to why he said my points are not valid, and I'm just causing trouble. Im not trying to cause trouble, Im just stating facts, and the fact is we DO NOT get the infor here from Line-6 like we should be getting, compared to their competition. He (rd2rk) can't do what I ask Him to do because it doesnt exist (and it should IMO), and since Im such a D1ck then I'll ask you to do the same. Can you? "Nobody owes me" is not an answer so prove me wrong gun. Put up or shutup! Ok that was a little harsh even for a D1ck ; ), but you get the point. As you already know, Kemper and Fractal doesn't have that problem, and "they" post update info in their "OWN" forum almost daily. Why can't Line-6 do this? Simple, because they don't want to. And yet those "few staff members" you speak of and cover for post new information on TGP 1st before their own forum, about Helix. Back them up on this if you want to gun, but you and I know that's not right. Ive said it once so I'll say it again, maybe we just need to "close" this place down and move over to TGP since that's where the new Info on Helix always appears. Now Im blowin snot-bubbles lol! And BTW thanks for the "name" calling.

1 hour ago, molul said:

What's wave pedals? :O

It's pretty much comparable with an LFO in a synth. No idea why, but Boss is looking at it as if it'd be another pedal, secretely AI-operated behind the scenes. But in a nutshell, as said, it's just an LFO (well, maybe a mixture between an envelope and an LFO).

And fwiw, if there was anything I'd love to see in FW updates beyond usability stuff (which will likely remain to be my top 1), 2) and 3) for a whole while), it'd be modulators - basically LFOs, envelopes and input level. Once you've fooled around with Native Instruments' Guitar Rig, you just know how much fun these can provide.

39 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

There was something similar with a different name on there, honestly can't remember what it was called because it was probably a year ago at least

I have already been requesting modulators on TGP (go figure...) - when I was still allowed to be there and even before I owned a Helix myself.

34 minutes ago, spikey said:

Yea he does OWE me an explanation as to why he said my points are not valid, and I'm just causing trouble. Im not trying to cause trouble, Im just stating facts, and the fact is we DO NOT get the infor here from Line-6 like we should be getting, compared to their competition. He (rd2rk) can't do what I ask Him to do because it doesnt exist (and it should IMO), and since Im such a D1ck then I'll ask you to do the same. Can you? "Nobody owes me" is not an answer so prove me wrong gun. Put up or shutup! Ok that was a little harsh even for a D1ck ; ), but you get the point. As you already know, Kemper and Fractal doesn't have that problem, and "they" post update info in their "OWN" forum almost daily. Why can't Line-6 do this? Simple, because they don't want to. And yet those "few staff members" you speak of and cover for post new information on TGP 1st before their own forum, about Helix. Back them up on this if you want to gun, but you and I know that's not right. Ive said it once so I'll say it again, maybe we just need to "close" this place down and move over to TGP since that's where the new Info on Helix always appears. Now Im blowin snot-bubbles lol! And BTW thanks for the "name" calling.

Whoa buddy, lol, there's nothing to prove. There's no requirement for them to engage with ANYONE via forum/social media. They're posting as fellow gear nerds that happen to work or a gear company. I'd prefer if they're making announcements prior to official release that they do it here, but that's not up to me, or you, or anybody. If you feel shafted by the staff, there are lots of other products on the market from smaller companies where the company owner will gladly be a d1ck about stuff on his own forum. If this is how you react every time someone does post over here, I'd stay gone if I was them, too. TGP is garbage, but its all respect and atta-boys for these guys over there, so why wouldn't they prefer to interact there....

24 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Whoa buddy, lol, there's nothing to prove.  its all respect and atta-boys for these guys over there, so why wouldn't they prefer to interact there....

First Im a D1ck and now Im a "buddy"? Good I prefer buddy. ; ) No it's not up to us, but it should be up to "them" at Line-6 to support their own forum.

One reason, because D.I. works and rides for the brand (or should) for Line-6. This is the "Official" Line-6 forum, is it not? If it is, they why does the new information on Helix get posted over at TGP first?  Yea, that's caused a burr under my saddle for a while and its the "ONLY" thing I hold againts D.I.- nothing else. Im sure he couldnt give a rats @ but thats the whole point I'm making here. Why?  Either you support the official forum for the Company you work for, or you don't. Your choice I guess,  but not doing so doesn't make it right for the users here. I don't blame D.I. for not giving out info he can not release, but I do blame him for ignoring this place and posting that information elsewhere 1st. Thats basically it, plain and simple. If that is fine with most here then I guess Im just a d1ck as you suggested ; ), OTOH I support the forum and think HE should too. 

11 minutes ago, spikey said:

....This is the "Official" Line-6 forum, is it not?....

Yes - for user-to-user technical support and discussion. Here's a snip of the first paragraph of Line 6 Tony's pinned post at the top of this page: Welcome to the Line 6 Forums

Hello, Line 6ers. We are pleased to announce the latest incarnation of our community support forums. Feel free to explore and post threads. Our forums are here so that our community members will continue to help one another, partake in respectful, thought-provoking debates and conversations, and forge great relationships.

Doesn't say anything about Line 6 staff or their contributions in the form of general product information and announcements. However I do expect that youi'll get a personal acknowledgement and accolades when a tuner is included in HX Edit. :-)

12 minutes ago, spikey said:

If it is, they why does the new information on Helix get posted over at TGP first? 

Fwiw, one of the reasons why they're doing that would very likely be that they're getting plenty of attention from non-Line6-product-owners, whereas over here it's almost exclusively folks who already bought some stuff, so there's not much new customers to attract. It's why they're praised for their outstanding support, too. And fwiw, they're doing *direct* support work there, so I don't exactly (or at least not completely) buy the "we're doing it in our spare time" thing.

But each to their own. However, considering their very own forums, Line 6 support is abysmally bad.

16 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Fwiw, one of the reasons why they're doing that would very likely be that they're getting plenty of attention from non-Line6-product-owners, whereas over here it's almost exclusively folks who already bought some stuff, so there's not much new customers to attract.

Yes I get that, bring in new business and make more money for Line-6 !!! Sascha. NO issues as that is what a company should be doing, esp now. But err what about the "old" money spent folks? I don't mind D.I. or anyone else from Line-6 posting new information about Helix over there, BUT POST IT OVER HERE TOO! How hard is that? Elsewise what the point of this place, really? Too just lollipop (which Im good at BTW ; ) ) not getting any info here? LOL. I have better things to do than that believe it or not, and guess I should be doin them, and so do you. Peace brother! 

36 minutes ago, spikey said:

Yes I get that, bring in new business and make more money for Line-6 !!! Sascha. NO issues as that is what a company should be doing, esp now. But err what about the "old" money spent folks? I don't mind D.I. or anyone else from Line-6 posting new information about Helix over there, BUT POST IT OVER HERE TOO! How hard is that? Elsewise what the point of this place, really? Too just lollipop (which Im good at BTW ; ) ) not getting any info here? LOL. I have better things to do than that believe it or not, and guess I should be doin them, and so do you. Peace brother! 

Again, that's not the employees fault, but if anything, Line 6's marketing dept fault. If you feel they should have a person in the forum to communicate on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, you can contact Line 6 and leave the suggestion with some reasoning. I mean, you have a point, but I disagree that the devs are to blame for this. They deserve to do what they want on their spare time. They work to bring you the cool software in your Helix, not anything else :-/

29 minutes ago, molul said:

Again, that's not the employees fault, but if anything, Line 6's marketing dept fault. If you feel they should have a person in the forum to communicate on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, you can contact Line 6 and leave the suggestion with some reasoning. I mean, you have a point, but I disagree that the devs are to blame for this. They deserve to do what they want on their spare time. They work to bring you the cool software in your Helix, not anything else :-/

Fair enough molul, but if they have the spare time enough to post over there... This place is either worthy of that same information, or it isn't. Looks like it isn't, and I don't understand why that is. I am not blaming the devs (I am their bosses) for anything they are doing except that part of not adding us in the loop here too. We are customers of Line-6 products, just like those over at TGP. They (Line-6) work to make money as the rest of us do, and yes that benefits us. OTOH supporting this site doesn't give you cancer or take more than a minute to copy and paste to include the information here. So why do I feel I am I the only one wanting to get this here? I'm not trying to suggest they do anything they are not doing now,  I'm just want us "added in" that loop! And we are not "in the loop" ATM. So Is that so awful? If I have a point as you stated, then is it that I hold on like a Bulldog when right and it comes off too anal for some here to swallow? Cause if thats it, then I understand completely and apologies for my analisty. But if you are backing the actions of a few for not not posting Helix updates here (because they have a choice) while that same information gets posted elsewhere (because they made a choice to post it over there), then my anal ways and me totally disagree with that choice and mindset. Peace brother ; )

37 minutes ago, spikey said:

Fair enough molul, but if they have the spare time enough to post over there... I'm not blaming the devs (I am their bosses) for anything they are doing except not adding us in the loop here too. We are customers of Line-6 products, just like those over at TGP. They (Line-6) work to make money as the rest of us do, and yes that benefits us. OTOH supporting this site doesn't give you cancer or take more than a minute to copy and paste to include the information here. So why do I feel I am I the only one wanting to get this here? I'm not trying to suggest they do anything they are not doing now,  I'm just want us "added in" that loop! And we are not "in the loop" ATM. So Is that so awful? If I have a point as you stated, then is it that I hold on like a Bulldog when right and it comes off too anal for some here to swallow? Cause if thats it, then I understand completely and apologies for my analisty. But if you are backing the actions of a few for not not posting Helix updates here (because they have a choice) while that same information gets posted elsewhere (because they made a choice to post it over there), then my anal ways and me totally disagree with that choice and mindset.  Peace brother ; )

Why don't you try sending an email to Line6 support to suggest this? I mean, it would certainly be more effective than complaining in a forum where no one from Line6 participates. 

4 hours ago, spikey said:

Looks like I struck a nerve lol.

Your original post:

"Looks like I struck a nerve lol. Prove me wrong then rd2rk. Show me a "single" post from the CEO/Owner of Line-6 here, on this forum, and I'll apologize and shut up.

And BTW- if you can't do that, the you do the same. ; ) "

Your edited post:

4 hours ago, spikey said:

Looks like I struck a nerve lol. Prove me wrong then rd2rk and put yer money where yer mouth is. I'm not talking about the "Experts" here. They do all they can do to cover for this "invisible" company info wise. Im talking about the freekin one that pays the light bill. Show me a "single" post from the CEO/Owner of Line-6 here, on this forum talking about Helix updates and fixes, and I'll apologize to the forum and shut up. And BTW- if you can't do that, then you do the same. ; )

Who struck a nerve?

No, spikey, when you bark, I don't jump. I laugh :-).

You're ticked at me because I outed you to a newbie that you were in the process of baiting.

I don't want your apology, it would be meaningless. You are who you are.

Just admit it!

I will admit, though - DEMANDING that the CEO/OWNER of Line6 - some Japanese executive and a million faceless stockholders - come on this forum and allow themselves to be interrogated and abused by you - now THAT was funny!

33 minutes ago, chasingMango said:

I want to stop reading this thread, but I can't look away...

Just wait until 2.9 is finally released, and folks start complaining about it. THAT'S when the FUN starts!

• Haha 3

Getting back to topic, a newbie question: how common has it been that an update didn't work fine? I mean, has an update ever caused Helix unit to end up bricked?

I usually wait for a couple of weeks before I apply an update on this like MacOS, protools and such. Just curious about how reliable Helix updates are.

3 hours ago, spikey said:

I don't mind D.I. or anyone else from Line-6 posting new information about Helix over there, BUT POST IT OVER HERE TOO!

Post what? Whenever there's an update, Tony or I do post it here. Always.

Are you talking about 2.90, which has never been officially announced? We threw a party at NAMM with a sneak peek for friends only and they talked about it publicly... elsewhere.

It's almost like you're paparazzi lurking by the Line 6 cafeteria door, desperate for someone to walk out. And when someone says "Hey! Sometimes after work the Line 6 guys hang out at the food court/amusement park/dive bar across the street," instead of, y'know, walking across the street like a normal person, you complain that our free time isn't spent dealing with you in the cafeteria. At a certain point, you gotta wonder if some of us exit through a different door on purpose.

19 minutes ago, molul said:

Getting back to topic, a newbie question: how common has it been that an update didn't work fine? I mean, has an update ever caused Helix unit to end up bricked?

I usually wait for a couple of weeks before I apply an update on this like MacOS, protools and such. Just curious about how reliable Helix updates are.

A certain percentage of users will always have problems, often caused by failure to follow instructions, the vagaries of the trillions of HW and SW configurations possible on Windows boxes, or the next Apple or Windows OS update Such is the nature of computers.

For myself, all I can say is that I've had my Helix Floor for going on 4 years, and I've never regretted installing an update, nor had to fall back to a previous version.

I HAVE had to reverse Windows updates, so as far as I'm concerned, L6 has a better update track record than Microsoft.

That said, anyone who updates a critical device in the middle of an important project or the day before a make or break gig is terminally foolish.

Such is the nature of computers.

• Like 1

Thanks! One more question: if there's a problem with the update, is there a safe way to at least get back to factory settings? I mean, with that and making a backup before any update, it would be more than enough for me.

57 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

It's almost like you're paparazzi lurking by the Line 6 cafeteria door, desperate for someone to walk out. And when someone says "Hey! Sometimes after work the Line 6 guys hang out at the food court/amusement park/dive bar across the street," instead of, y'know, walking across the street like a normal person, you complain that our free time isn't spent dealing with you in the cafeteria. At a certain point, you gotta wonder if some of us exit through a different door on purpose.

First off: I don't care whether you make a big fuzz about updates here or wherever.

But you and your users at TGP and FB make a big deal about how great Line 6s support and the public interaction with their users has become. However, thing is, in case you're not on TGP and/or the big FB group, there's no support apart from opening a support ticket. And there's even less public interaction, in fact pretty much none.

So, to enjoy your public efforts, I would either have to join TGP or the big FB group.

Fwiw, I don't have any issues with the way you spend your spare time. But then, people should not mistake that for great support. Because it simply isn't.

6 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

First off: I don't care whether you make a big fuzz about updates here or wherever.

But you and your users at TGP and FB make a big deal about how great Line 6s support and the public interaction with their users has become. However, thing is, in case you're not on TGP and/or the big FB group, there's no support apart from opening a support ticket. And there's even less public interaction, in fact pretty much none.

So, to enjoy your public efforts, I would either have to join TGP or the big FB group.

Fwiw, I don't have any issues with the way you spend your spare time. But then, people should not mistake that for great support. Because it simply isn't.

Alright, we all get that you don't like Line6 support as it currently is. You can send them a support ticket to complain about that. Can we get back to topic?

The topic would be "Helix 2.9" as the topic title says, and although there's no update yet, we can talk about what we would like it to include. It makes much more sense than complaining about Line6 support in a place that's not meant for Line6 to provide support, at least.

3 minutes ago, molul said:

The topic would be "Helix 2.9" as the topic title says, and although there's no update yet, we can talk about what we would like it to include.

Well, haven't we done that ad nauseum already? And well, it seems as if the feature set of 2.9 is pretty much done.

12 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

However, thing is, in case you're not on TGP and/or the big FB group TGP, Chad's Facebook group, twenty or more other non-Chad-moderated Facebook groups, Fretboard.co.uk, Seven String, Talk Bass, Pedalboards of Doom, Rig-Talk, Gearslutz, six or seven subreddits, or Frank's PERSONAL EMAIL AND PHONE NUMBER which he's shared multiple times, there's no support casual banter and occasional insight from a tiny fraction of the people who design and develop Line 6 gear apart from opening a support ticket.

FTFY.

So what you're saying is that it's OUR fault YOU'RE not willing to walk across the street to the party? And WE'RE not helpful because everyone isn't moving one of the dozens of parties to a venue where YOU happen to be most comfortable?

5 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

It's not L6's fault that you're banned from TGP.

I don't blame anyone for not using FB.

BUT......

The Devs are NOT providing a deeper level of TECHNICAL SUPPORT on TGP or FB than you'll get here - they are NOT TECHNICAL SUPPORT -  and the official (read:PAID) Technical Support staff don't hang out here OR on TGP OR on FB. The Devs on TGP and FB are nice enough, on their own time, to answer technical DEVELOPMENT RELATED questions on those platforms, as and if it's appropriate to do so. Just TRY getting that level of support from most anybody else other than possibly Fractal. You ain't gonna get it from Roland, that's for sure!

Also, if you have a problem such as your LT Expression pedal is broke, or your band is on the road in Bulgaria and your Helix broke, or you need your Native Trial extended, or THIS FORUM IS BROKE, Frank Richotte will answer your PM on TGP PDQ, and get something done for you!

THAT'S GREAT SUPPORT!

This forum is where you go for support prior to opening a Support Ticket.

If your issue doesn't get an answer here, it takes about as long to open a Support Ticket as it does to post here or anywhere else, and I've always gotten a reply within 24 hours.

THAT'S great support.

I guess it sucks that L6 upper management won't snap to attention and do whatever any spoiled, entitled, whiney or just plain delusional user DEMANDS that they do.

I say - BRAVO!

Final thought - when Official L6 personnel DO attempt to be helpful by posting here, they wind up taking a bunch of guff from spoiled, entitled, whiney users who have no appreciation for their efforts anyway. I'd stay away too.

Except sometimes I LIKE fighting with spoiled, entitled, whiney people.

But mostly I like to help when I can, and MOST of the people I help are appreciative of this forum.

Rant Over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, molul said:

Thanks! One more question: if there's a problem with the update, is there a safe way to at least get back to factory settings? I mean, with that and making a backup before any update, it would be more than enough for me.

Not sure what you mean. It's pretty easy to get back to a previous version, and the reset procedures work as described here:

32 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

FTFY.

So what you're saying is that it's OUR fault YOU'RE not willing to walk across the street to the party? And WE'RE not helpful because everyone isn't moving one of the dozens of parties to a venue where YOU happen to be most comfortable?

Well, how would I know which are the partys you're joining? I only know of TGP and FB.

27 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Not sure what you mean. It's pretty easy to get back to a previous version, and the reset procedures work as described here:

Thanks! That's what I needed to know :)

1 minute ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, how would I know which are the partys you're joining? I only know of TGP and FB.

He mentions all of them in the very message you quoted...

17 minutes ago, molul said:

He mentions all of them in the very message you quoted...

Well. You don't seem to get it. Not that I'd care much, but I'll explain it.

If I wanted some "supportive bits" and maybe the occassional chat about certain features and what not (which I enjoy quite a bit, having 20 years of audio software betatesting on my belt for quite some reasons...), what would be the place to look for those very activities? Some random places somewhere on the web or the company-based community forum? I'll leave the answer to yourself.

@Digital_Igloo Thanks for all the infos so far. There are users here who like to read any info about 2.9 and they are glad about the info. Some users want more. Well I understand them but please you DON‘T have to justify your work or how and when the release will be. Don‘t let them take you to this point.

Helix works fine as it is! I bet 

many users here (me too by the way) don‘t use every single function or even know any single function. For god’s sake let L6 do their work! 

25 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well. You don't seem to get it. Not that I'd care much, but I'll explain it.

If I wanted some "supportive bits" and maybe the occassional chat about certain features and what not (which I enjoy quite a bit, having 20 years of audio software betatesting on my belt for quite some reasons...), what would be the place to look for those very activities? Some random places somewhere on the web or the company-based community forum? I'll leave the answer to yourself.

"what would be the place to look for those very activities?"

He mentioned all the places in the message you previously quoted :)

I decided share my answer with you because you seem very interested in knowing it, and your intention doesn't look like cheap trolling at all ;)

7 minutes ago, molul said:

"what would be the place to look for those very activities?"

He mentioned all the places in the message you previously quoted :)

I decided share my answer with you because you seem very interested in knowing it, and your intention doesn't look like cheap trolling at all ;)

It is not about all those places (and fwiw, I didn't know about them until some minutes ago). It's about this very place. Which should be the first stop to communicate with anyone from Line 6, regardless of the subject (support, discussion of ideas, whatever). Business as usual. If you want to do that with Fractal, you go to their forums. If you want to do that with Kemper, you go to their forums. But if you want to do that with Line 6, you need to look wherever.