Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Two observations about two amps

357mag

I like the sound of the Park 75. It has a sweet tone and it nails the Malmsteen sound, but the amp is incredibly dark sounding. I've got the output on the Parametric EQ already high and it still sounds dark. And there are unwanted artifacts present in the 2204. I noticed when I bend a string I hear a whirling noise in the background. Like a wirr...wirr...wirr type of noise.

If you can suggest how to brighten up the Park please give me some suggestions. I have both a Parametric at the end of the chain and a Graphic at the beginning.

Given for granted that with the POD you are going direct to a flat response system (or heaphones) and the output mode is set to Direct/Studio, normally you shouldn't really need to use any EQ at all to brighten up a Park amp (or other Marshall amps).

Make sure you are using the bright channel version of the model, set the Presence control properly to get the a fair amount of brightness and turn down some the BASS control if it is mudding everything as it can easily happen.

Also, don't forget that there are several cabs/mics at disposal to choose from which represent at least 50% of the final tone.

If the whirling effect/artifacts  (I guess you mean sort of untuned dissonant ghost notes parallel to the normal ones) is annoying you, turn down the HUM parameter value.

Consider trying the single input approach to get a more defined sound, especially if your pickups are humbucker or active.

Also, sometimes people change the input impedance to a low value less than 1 megahom and then forget it, but this setting can significantly darken the input signal.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Your suggestions have helped me with getting the Park brighter. Thank You. However when I used the 2204 and I play some notes on say the 12th fret B string or 15th fret B string and bend those notes up I still hear those strange whirring noises in the background, and I have shut the Hum value all the way off.

Perhaps this is a bug in this amp model. Kind of a shame as the amp sounds better than the JCM-800.

5 hours ago, 357mag said:

I play some notes on say the 12th fret B string or 15th fret B string and bend those notes up I still hear those strange whirring noises in the background, and I have shut the Hum value all the way off.

Perhaps this is a bug in this amp model.

In my opinion it is more likely that some frets on the neck of the guitar are no longer perfectly aligned with the others, or the strings are too close to the fretboard, or the truss rod need to be adjusted a little, or the strings are too old.

Moreover, some types of amps and settings tend to sonically emphasize the small imperfections of the connected instrument.

Problems in bending in the area around the 12th key onwards are often indicative of the need to make a new setup to the instrument (if the strings are still new).

I happened to have the same problem, and with new strings and/or new setup I solved everything.

The plain unwound strings (like the first 3 e,b,g) if defective or too old/worn out easily give the described symptoms.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

My strings are not very old. However I am experiencing some buzz at the moment. Winter and Strats don't make a good combination. My neck moves every now and then and I bring it back to my guitar technician and he fixes it quite nicely. He did a fret level when I got it also and he did a really good job I'm sure the frets are okay.

People who play their guitar several hours every single day or very often need guitar setups and strings replacing more often than the casual players.

By necessity I learned how to do the guitar/neck setup and fret leveling/dressing, and lately I do it by myself every time it is necessary.

Apart from the inevitable consumption of the frets, the different seasons/weather conditions influence the setup of the instrument, and some small adjustments (even on the fly) are sometimes necessary.

Guitar capos (which luckily I seldom use, but some times I have to, eg in transposed from the originals songs where open strings and fretted notes need to be played absolutely together to get the right sound) are real fret killers (unless your guitar has stainless steel frets).

In regard to the strings, it may happen sometimes to get brand new bad/defective strings.. or they could be already simply too much worn out..

I happened to have some problems (sort of warbling annoying effect) even with simply fretted/not bended notes around the 12th fret onward area, I thought it could be the models fault, the amount of distortion, or other causes, but actually the culprits were the strings, fact confirmed as soon as I replaced them.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

I had to have my truss rod tweaked as this neck which is on my Classic Vibe is very temperamental. It moves and moves and I encounter lots of fret buzz. But now the whirring noises in the 2204 are gone. I ordered a custom made neck from Warmoth. Looking forward to it.

Thanks So Much for your help.