Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit unable to import IR Error -2 out of memory condition.

apurplemunky

I am fairly new to using any kind of impulse response with my Helix as I usually use a Power Stage 170 and a 2x12, but I have recently been toying with the idea of trying out some impulse responses, as I had received a few "free" ones from a couple YouTube channels, I decided to load them up in my Helix LT, the one I got from Glenn Fricker loaded up fine. the ones I recieved from Ola Englund however did not, when loading them into HX Edit, 3 of them work fine, the rest give me this error message:

"HX Edit was unable to import IRs into this set due to the following errors:

-2- out of memory condition"

I did some searching around and figured out that I am receiving this error because of the size of the IRs, the ones that won't import are all 237kb, while the ones that worked fine are significantly smaller, at 59kb and 6kb. is there anything I can do to make the larger ones work with my helix? 

• 4 years later...

Hm, I find it frustrating that I found no posts about the issue... but think it might be a recently introduced bug, since according to https://line6.com/support/topic/46067-importing-irs the manual mentions:

"HX Edit updates the HX Stomp hardware's IR list automatically. HX Stomp can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, 16-bit, mono, .WAV type IRs of up to 2,048 samples are natively supported; however, HX Edit lets you import IR .WAV files of different sample rate, bit depth, length and stereo format, and the app will convert these attributes automatically before sending to HX Stomp".

The file I uploaded doesn't match the format HX Stomps "stores" the file in at least, which means that the conversation mentioned above is either not happening or failing.

However, I found a way to recode it with `ffmpeg` (installed with `brew` on Mac OS):

ffmpeg -i input.wav -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 44100 output.wav

Once I tried loading `output.wav` as a the IR, it loaded the file without error.

Thanks!

On 2/18/2024 at 4:31 PM, brAzzi64 said:

[...] The file I uploaded doesn't match the format HX Stomps "stores" the file in at least, which means that the conversation mentioned above is either not happening or failing.[...]

Can you do ffprobe input.wav with the file that didn't convert correctly and copy paste the last line of it's output here?

e.g.:

Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s24le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 96000 Hz, 1 channels, s32 (24 bit), 2304 kb/s

@brAzzi64

Ok. This was interesting:

What happened there is that Ola's original file has leading silence of 27ms (almost silence - just very low noise).  An 1024 samples IR at 48kHz is about 21ms long.

So you imported the file and listened to the silent part using a 1024 sample IR block.

But why did it work after ffmpeg re-encoding?

-Because ffmpeg makes almost silent parts completely silent (for better compression rates). That complete silence was now recognized and removed by HX Edit during the import.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1