Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 identical JTV-59 but only 1 with a weak signal on PU and piezo

Hi. I have to 2 identical JTV-59 and 1 of them has a significant weaker signal on both Signal paths; PU + piezo

The one I do prefer has a hot output-level that drives the cleaner amp models of the POD HD500 the right way into crunch.

The other one doesn't tickle the crunch out of clean tones the right way. It sounds a bit boring in comparison. 

So what can I do?

Would raising the magnetics always make the piezo signal hotter somehow?

or so I have to raise the magnetics and level out the overall output of the weaker JTV59 to taste?

I don't like the idea of managing 2 different sets of presets on both of my 59s. 

I might be wrong but I guess that you didn't buy both 2 JTV-59 brand new, and probably at least one of them is second hand..

Did you check if the last one you bought has been tweaked with the workbench?
Are its settings still the defaults?

Do the 2 guitars have the same firmware version installed?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Both are TBS, both had been bought used and both have the same FW, defaults and patches installed. 

The pickups are adjuted optically to the same height. But the output level differs that much, that one sounds strong and one sounds weak when they feed a clean amp who tends to breakup. 

It would be cool if there is a way to level the overall signal of the VDI output which would include the output of the magnetics, but I am afraid there is no way to do so.

Lowering the PUs and the overall level on the hotter and better sounding JTV might be the only way but I even doubt that lowering the PUs is enough to get in the same ballpark.  

Is there a difference in level also between the signals coming from the standard jack outputs (no VDI) of the 2 guitars?

I also wonder if the weaker guitar volume potentiometer (which would affect both the digital and analog signals) works well actually allowing the full signal to come out when it is apparently set to maximum.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 1

I am into some recordings and testing now to proof my feelings about the differences. 

First finding is, that the mags do not vary that much as the V-modeling does. That a good news because the Variax-Levels are easier to adjust than the output of the mags. I will check the jack-output too. The thought, the volume-pod has a weak connection, is a very good one!

40 minutes ago, Smashcraaft said:

SHAME on me! It was the settings in the "Global String Levels" in Workbench.

After importing all presets from one to the other I thought all settings would be identical now. Nonsens!

Glad you have sorted it out!...Mistery solved!.

Unfortunately that setting is semi hidden.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Thanks 1