Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax models and sitar

Hey guys, 

Can someone please tell me whether there are different sounds available for the 300 / 500 / 700 etc. 

I don't know the in's and out's of the system. 

My guess is that there is (obviously) a different set of sounds available in comparison to the acoustic models? 

Does the sitar from the electric sound better or worse in comparison to the acoustic model or is ot the same?

Am I right in assuming that string gauge really plays no part in sculpting the sound? 

Thanks guys

1 hour ago, strider33 said:

Am I right in assuming that string gauge really plays no part in sculpting the sound? 

Depends on who you ask... personally, I find a heavier gauge works better, especially for the acoustic models. Others will tell you that it makes no difference. Ymmv...

" whether there are different sounds available for the 300 / 500 / 700 etc "----   If you mean outside 3rd party sounds, maybe.

For JTV/Standard/Shuriken,... yes.

For 300/500/600/700, there is Workbench, that allows you to create your own model patches and save them. Check the online manual for that.

For the later JTV/Standard/Shuriken, that have Firmware v2.00 or higher, use Workbench HD.

String gauge plays a part, only in regards to how well the mechanical energy is translated into electronic impulses for the circuitry.

10 or 11 gauge sets are best. 9's tend to be light and the signals tend to be thin. 12's can be intense and can wear on the piezo element.

"I don't know the in's and out's of the system." --- There are online operations manuals here on the support forum.