Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Freeze pedal help/advice

garbanzo

Hello!

I have a Helix rack. I would like to have/use a function like the Electro Harmonix "Freeze" pedal produces. For those not familial with that EH pedal, it would allow me to hit a chord, then hit a pedal which results in a continuous playing of that chord, until I hit the pedal again at which time the chord would stop. Thus the name "freeze" pedal. This >I wish to use as a practice device, being able to explore different sounds, scales and tonalities, and the way they sound and feel over a certain chord. I do not wish to change the initial tone or feeling of the chord, but simply retain it and be able to play over it, if that makes sense.The idea combines perhaps the effect of the looper, and/or  sustain effect or function. I will admit that I have not used the looper function on the Helix as I do not have a pedal, so I am not familiar with it.

Is this possible to do with the Helix?  If so:

-what type of pedal is necessary to get the looper functioning? I hope a simple generic type would work.

-How do I do this in the Helix? Is this a simple looper function, or are there other ways to go on the idea in setting up the Helix?

All help is gratefully accepted and any other ideas as to how to approach this question considered. In addition I hope this may help others with practice ideas.

Best regards

16 hours ago, antonio1961 said:

I've seen the freeze in action ,but i don't think there's a way to achieve that .

The drones in the Helix work really well for that type of thing, you can even change key.

Thanks Antonio! Would you be a bit more explicit? If the drones in Helix work really well, how do I go about setting one up? I wopuld appreciate very simple and clear references and/or instruction as to how to go about the set up.

19 hours ago, garbanzo said:

Thanks Antonio! Would you be a bit more explicit? If the drones in Helix work really well, how do I go about setting one up? I wopuld appreciate very simple and clear references and/or instruction as to how to go about the set up.

I've uploaded a patch for you it's on customtone called 'Indiana Drones'  you will be able to try use it and also see how i set it up ,

Basically 8 blocks of the three note drone, with each block a different key ,and then switched between using snapshot switches .

Once you created a block it's easy to copy and paste it wherever you need it .

You can get quite creative with the final drone sound by adding, reverb delay, modulation, ..there are lots of variations .

• Like 1

Thanks again Antonio! I get the idea, and the patch you made available worked really well. I guess I was not explicit enough in my original post, I wanted to be able to record a guitar sound and use that as a drone in order to develop inprov ideas. I was hoping to be able to use the Helix like the Elektro Harmonix Freeze or the Gamechanger Audio Plus pedals. That was very generous of you to  put the patch up, thanks again.

7 hours ago, garbanzo said:

Thanks again Antonio! I get the idea, and the patch you made available worked really well. I guess I was not explicit enough in my original post, I wanted to be able to record a guitar sound and use that as a drone in order to develop inprov ideas. I was hoping to be able to use the Helix like the Elektro Harmonix Freeze or the Gamechanger Audio Plus pedals. That was very generous of you to  put the patch up, thanks again.

Understandable. As suggested above, if you search custom tone there are various user's attempts at mimicking an EHX Freeze Pedal. I would recommend you give some of them a try. 

However, between you and me, while I found some of them impressive, I was never satisfied with them, and the EHX Freeze remains one of the remaining pedals I still own. I dream of Line 6 one day adding one as an option, but until they do, I will keep using the trusty Freeze pedal. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Understandable. As suggested above, if you search custom tone there are various user's attempts at mimicking an EHX Freeze Pedal. I would recommend you give some of them a try. 

However, between you and me, while I found some of them impressive, I was never satisfied with them, and the EHX Freeze remains one of the remaining pedals I still own. I dream of Line 6 one day adding one as an option, but until they do, I will keep using the trusty Freeze pedal. 

Hej Kalrahi. I forgot to sign in but sent a reply. I wont repeat it but it should show up  soon after a moderator has given it a look. My mistake!

• 3 months later...