Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR Renaming....doesnt show new name

themetallikid

So I'm matching output levels of some IR blocks I have (3Sigma guitar IRs).  I'm comparing my dry guitar signal to the IR processed signal and setting the output block to help achieve matching signal level.  

I'm then renaming the IR files in the method of:

PRS 1H 0.0db

PRS 3H -3.0db

Les Paul 5H +3.0db

thus displaying the guitar type, pickup type/position, and where I determined the output level to match unity.  

I have renamed the files on my cpu....deleted the IR's from my library in Helix, and then tried to reimport them into the same slots...however, they are still displaying the file name as previous as a few minutes ago.  

Any idea why it wont update the display name?  When going through and dropping one of these blocks in, it'd be nice to now where the output level should be on a consistent basis. 

11 hours ago, themetallikid said:

So I'm matching output levels of some IR blocks I have (3Sigma guitar IRs).  I'm comparing my dry guitar signal to the IR processed signal and setting the output block to help achieve matching signal level.  

I'm then renaming the IR files in the method of:

PRS 1H 0.0db

PRS 3H -3.0db

Les Paul 5H +3.0db

thus displaying the guitar type, pickup type/position, and where I determined the output level to match unity.  

I have renamed the files on my cpu....deleted the IR's from my library in Helix, and then tried to reimport them into the same slots...however, they are still displaying the file name as previous as a few minutes ago.  

Any idea why it wont update the display name?  When going through and dropping one of these blocks in, it'd be nice to now where the output level should be on a consistent basis. 

Since they are wave files, could it be reading the title from wherever WAV's MP3's etc. store the title. Try right clicking on the IR, going to properties and find what it's called in there. It'll be under the DETAILS tab.

34 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Since they are wave files, could it be reading the title from wherever WAV's MP3's etc. store the title. Try right clicking on the IR, going to properties and find what it's called in there. It'll be under the DETAILS tab.

yeah that thought dawned on me this morning when I left for work.  That maybe its reading the file name inside the properties menu instead of the display file name.  

56 minutes ago, Heavyville said:

soon......you will have meters.  perhaps you won't have to go through all this effort then......my short answer is, I have no idea.   

But i'll be making my own IR's with mikko soon, so this is relevant to me perhaps. 

Meters wouldn't solve my issue.  Though they will aid in some leveling, my presets are done fairly well by ear all ready.  Where I'm having issues is that if my baseline dry/bypassed guitar signal is at 0.0db and I want to maintain a unity gain when I implement one of the 24 guitar IR's I have, I need to know what the IR (as its been saved/recorded) is doing to the input level it receives vs. the output level its putting out.  otherwise the premise of me having consistent core tones/settings is all for nothing if I have to start adjusting the amp/od drives and channel volumes to compensate.  Right now the IR's I've found range from -18db to +6.0db to keep my signal strength the same when its bypassed or active.  That all affects blocks down the chain.  I'm after the guitar/pickup tone, not interested in the 'less output of a single coil'.  

This is all just how I work, and the approach i'm taking to create tones that will be consistent, and easy to maintain/update when new amps come out or we learn a new song.  I can then take my core preset (already volume matched, already dialed in), import it into my Master Songs Setlist under the song title, and update any affects/snapshots (guitar specific IR sound, strat single coil or LP neck position) needed to perform the song live.  Export it as a saved copy (noting in my excel sheet what core tone was used on that song.  Then when I make a setlist I import the saved song preset and my setlist should also be volume matched cause I started with a solid foundation.  If L6 comes out with a new amp that fills a gap for me, I can drop that amp/od whatever into my core tone preset, save it....but then also reference my excel library cheat sheet to see what songs utilize that amp/core tone and copy/paste the amp block into those and import/export as needed.  

it's been a lot of work up front, but once I have an established library....learning a new song, and creating a balanced preset will take mere minutes and much less tweaking than before for me.  

13 hours ago, themetallikid said:

I'm comparing my dry guitar signal to the IR processed signal and setting the output block to help achieve matching signal level.  

Just a curious question.... Why don't you compensate the different in IR levels at the IR block?

By default an IR block loads a new IR at -18 (iirc)... which is a bit of a safety mechanism :) There is a lot of room up or down left to work with. Keeping it at the block makes sure any blocks  "downchain" are actually hit with an appropriate level, not just turned up/down at the end.  

As for the names.... try importing them into "blank slots" and see if the name sticks. If not... then it is getting the name from within the file, not the file name itself. 

I am pretty sure I renamed my files and they uploaded as such... but I can't say that with 100% certainty. It's been a while. 

33 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Just a curious question.... Why don't you compensate the different in IR levels at the IR block?

By default an IR block loads a new IR at -18 (iirc)... which is a bit of a safety mechanism :) There is a lot of room up or down left to work with. Keeping it at the block makes sure any blocks  "downchain" are actually hit with an appropriate level, not just turned up/down at the end.  

As for the names.... try importing them into "blank slots" and see if the name sticks. If not... then it is getting the name from within the file, not the file name itself. 

I am pretty sure I renamed my files and they uploaded as such... but I can't say that with 100% certainty. It's been a while. 

For your name suggestion, yes I tried that as well.  Tried importing to a new slot, even resaved the IR into a different folder and imported from there.  I think the properties name is probably whats up with that.

I am adjusting in the IR block, your right they do load at -18db.  But my guitar when compared to most of these IR's seems to need the IR output level to be set between -12 and -6db, though there are the extremes of -18 through +6db to match the dry sound.  Your 'downchain' comment is exactly why i'm doing what i'm doing.  I like my core tones as they are designed...when its 'my' tone I want.  But for my cover band, sometimes I want a single coil flavor, or for GNR I want that neck LP sound...while its not pefect, its closer than my EMG sets will get me on their own.  So I don't want the different gain structure to my core tones, more so just the elaborate EQ structure.

• Like 1

Yes, no dice.....tried looking in properties and it shows the name I've resaved them as with my output block notifications.  Also tried opening in a different program and doing a save as and it doesnt work either.  

Disappointing.  not a deal breaker, but there must be a way to import the proper name I've saved it as. 

1 hour ago, themetallikid said:

Disappointing.  not a deal breaker, but there must be a way to import the proper name I've saved it as. 

I just did another check on my machine... the IR names are exactly what "I renamed them to" before importing. 

Sorry, I have no idea what is going on with yours.