Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom POD - XT and X3 models in POD HD

joaoazevedo

Hello everyone!

I have no intention of presenting a technical issue with my equipment but I would like to present an opinion that I believe that many users may share.
During my journey and since the late 90s, I have always followed the path of Line 6 and its products, however, there is an aspect to the company's business model that I have never understood in absolute terms.

Since the first AxSys 212, Flextone and POD models, the nature of the Line 6 concept has been to evolve in improving its products, exploring and trying to create more and better musical tools, even though some "irregularities" or divergences in this process are perceived.

What I cannot understand, especially because it would fit perfectly into the brand's business model, is why Line 6 does not invest in a logic of customization based on choiceLet me try to explain..
One of my products that I have used the most is my POD XT Live, however, and given the current reality of technology evolution this tends to be limited.

I play jazz fusion, latin and rock styles and my POD XT Live offered me a Mesa/Boogie® Mark IIc+, a Matchless 1996 Chieftain and a 1993 DC-30, among other models that I liked. Today I have a POD HD 500 X and I no longer have my the models I’ve always used available, I can’t even buy them in a personalized way so...

Why Line 6 doesn't create a process where a customer, regardless of the POD model he uses, has the right to choose in a personalized way, with a click on a base of available models, the models he wants to integrate into his pedalboard besides the standard pack. Why must a customer be conditioned to the standard models and expansion packs that do not match what, for example, the brand itself had done in the past? Why can't we have access, for example, in a POD HD 500 X to the previous models featured on POD XT Live and X3?

A simple example based on standard packs. What is the meaning, in the business perspective, of this evolution:
POD XT Live - +/- 42 amps
POD X3 Live - +/- 78 amps
POD HD 500 - +/- 22 amps
POD HD 500X - +/- 20 amps plus 19 in fully loaded bundle
Helix - 72 amps

It would be positive if Line 6 did something about it since it is a need that, I believe, is not just mine.

Greetings to all.

João

And what ?  You'd buy the 3 amps you need for $39 and Line6 would go out of business ?  Also it takes time and money to write the code, setup the infrastructure to deliver it, the people to support it, all so they could make less money ?  I have over 1000 channels on my T.V. and maybe use about a dozen.

Yeah what you say sounds great in theory but in reality it's difficult to do.  It difficult to write code for these specialized processors then the hardware changes underneath you're code, maybe not significantly but enough where it takes time to fix or re-write code.  Then bringing forward older amp model code to newer platforms.  Plus the time it takes to just actually model the real amp and try to replicate it.

I'm thrilled they give us what they do for what little they charge for it.

17 hours ago, joaoazevedo said:
Hello everyone!

I have no intention of presenting a technical issue with my equipment but I would like to present an opinion that I believe that many users may share.
During my journey and since the late 90s, I have always followed the path of Line 6 and its products, however, there is an aspect to the company's business model that I have never understood in absolute terms.

Since the first AxSys 212, Flextone and POD models, the nature of the Line 6 concept has been to evolve in improving its products, exploring and trying to create more and better musical tools, even though some "irregularities" or divergences in this process are perceived.

What I cannot understand, especially because it would fit perfectly into the brand's business model, is why Line 6 does not invest in a logic of customization based on choiceLet me try to explain..
One of my products that I have used the most is my POD XT Live, however, and given the current reality of technology evolution this tends to be limited.

I play jazz fusion, latin and rock styles and my POD XT Live offered me a Mesa/Boogie® Mark IIc+, a Matchless 1996 Chieftain and a 1993 DC-30, among other models that I liked. Today I have a POD HD 500 X and I no longer have my the models I’ve always used available, I can’t even buy them in a personalized way so...

Why Line 6 doesn't create a process where a customer, regardless of the POD model he uses, has the right to choose in a personalized way, with a click on a base of available models, the models he wants to integrate into his pedalboard besides the standard pack. Why must a customer be conditioned to the standard models and expansion packs that do not match what, for example, the brand itself had done in the past? Why can't we have access, for example, in a POD HD 500 X to the previous models featured on POD XT Live and X3?

A simple example based on standard packs. What is the meaning, in the business perspective, of this evolution:
POD XT Live - +/- 42 amps
POD X3 Live - +/- 78 amps
POD HD 500 - +/- 22 amps
POD HD 500X - +/- 20 amps plus 19 in fully loaded bundle
Helix - 72 amps

It would be positive if Line 6 did something about it since it is a need that, I believe, is not just mine.

Greetings to all.

João

Just to clarify, the HD500 and HD500X share exactly the same type and number of models..

What happened with the HD is that Line6 decided to put better quality models (especially more dynamically responding) which were more resources hungry into a still affordable (thus somewhat limited) hardware, so the total number of the models included decreased significantly compared to what was in the older devices. They chose to put only the models of the most iconic and requested amps, above all most of the missing ones actually are simply small variations of the included ones, or inspired by.

Helix more powerful hardware costs more and allows to include the latest HX modeling technology (even more resources hungry), but also a greater quantity of models.

So, as always you get what you pay for.
At the end only you as a user know what you really need for your hobby or job, and how much.

In regard to the previous technology models not included in the newer devices, actually some of them (the most requested ones) have been added at some point with the models packs. But it seems clear that there wasn't room for everything. Moreover the old ported models don't sound 100% exactly as the originals because the old cabs haven't be ported too.

I'm sure there is a company which sells the models individually, Line6 not, they have always had a different approach.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips