Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset change via MIDI over USB

bluesounds

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, those who chimed in with an answer.  I am still rocking a Floor Pod Plus and am sending patch changes to it from Ableton 10, which has my backing tracks on it.  It's a massively important feature for me.  What's funny is that the Floor Pod Plus does not sound bad through my EV pa system.  I could get away with continuing to use it, but the Pod Go looks really, really tempting to me, assuming I can send it patch changes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 6:14 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Yes, POD Go will respond to standard PC messages as well as quite a few CC messages (including CC69 for snapshot recall). Everything's outlined starting on page 38 of the POD Go Owner's Manual.

You mean it "will be updated" or it responds to standard pc right out of the box? Also is not clear for me, can it send pc to a Mac? An answer to this question would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by jazzchat
Misspelling

On 4/19/2020 at 6:03 AM, jazzchat said:

You mean it "will be updated" or it responds to standard pc right out of the box? Also is not clear for me, can it send pc to a Mac? An answer to this question would be greatly appreciated. 

The manual reflects POD Go firmware 1.10 (which was available for download before anyone got their POD Go), so if you haven't updated, the MIDI spec might not work as advertised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have recently purchased a Line 6 POD Go and I am happy with everything about it other than it will not accept MIDI from anything other than a PC. It appears to require the driver loaded in the PC to be able to accept MIDI. I am using a Kenton USB Midi Host mkII to host messages from a Morningstar MC6. The Line 6 POD Go is not "generic class compliant" and without the drivers in the PC will not respond to external MIDI. Hopefully this can be easily rectified by Line 6 soon.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pod Go is almost perfect. It should have midi. Or at last an update so it becomes class compliant and a usb- host would solve the problem.
I want to receive midi-clock for syncing the Pod Go with a drumcomputer/sequencer and send PC to an Eventide H9 in the fx-loop.

I know, this is NOT very rockandroll or metal but please, not another amp in a future update.

Usefull, noncomputer midi a lot of us experimental guitarplayers would like.

So, Line6, are you a company of the future or just a revival of the past?

Digital Iglo?

4 hours ago, lap57 said:

The Pod Go is almost perfect. It should have midi. Or at last an update so it becomes class compliant and a usb- host would solve the problem.
I want to receive midi-clock for syncing the Pod Go with a drumcomputer/sequencer and send PC to an Eventide H9 in the fx-loop.

I know, this is NOT very rockandroll or metal but please, not another amp in a future update.

Usefull, noncomputer midi a lot of us experimental guitarplayers would like.

So, Line6, are you a company of the future or just a revival of the past?

Digital Iglo?

The POD Go is a Class Compliant USB MIDI device. It’s just that it has very limited function as a controller. It has more options if you want to control it with MIDI.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, bryanblackburn said:

Now can a press of a foot pedal send a midi message to my computer via usb? Then if so then I can use it to act as a foot controller with Helix native right? That is a huge selling point to me. 

Not really... The POD Go sends very limited MIDI control messages. It can send the PC# that’s associated with a preset when you load a preset, but beyond that, there’s nor else you can do. It can also send MIDI clock. It’s not designed to be a MIDI over USB controller.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gonna piggyback of this. 

I'm thinking about getting an external USB MIDI host. Like the midiplus or Kenton.

https://www.amazon.com/Midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-midiplus/dp/B074NGTGHN

https://www.amazon.com/Kenton-Electronics-MIDI-Converter-Host/dp/B00PFEANIK/ref=pd_lpo_267_t_0/145-0593582-5693430?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00PFEANIK&pd_rd_r=9cb5aa9f-333f-475b-8683-0dfa2537904c&pd_rd_w=tehT6&pd_rd_wg=JAJxo&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23&psc=1&refRID=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23

Has anyone had any luck using one of these to connect a controller like the Rocktron MIDI Mate to do preset/snapshot changes? I'm thinking about doing this so I can keep the POD GO on stompbox mode and rely on an external switcher for presets.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, jazzyhands said:

Gonna piggyback of this. 

I'm thinking about getting an external USB MIDI host. Like the midiplus or Kenton.

https://www.amazon.com/Midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-midiplus/dp/B074NGTGHN

https://www.amazon.com/Kenton-Electronics-MIDI-Converter-Host/dp/B00PFEANIK/ref=pd_lpo_267_t_0/145-0593582-5693430?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00PFEANIK&pd_rd_r=9cb5aa9f-333f-475b-8683-0dfa2537904c&pd_rd_w=tehT6&pd_rd_wg=JAJxo&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23&psc=1&refRID=WV3E49MR9M2X7AVBST23

Has anyone had any luck using one of these to connect a controller like the Rocktron MIDI Mate to do preset/snapshot changes? I'm thinking about doing this so I can keep the POD GO on stompbox mode and rely on an external switcher for presets.

I'm in the same position, did you follow through and get a USB HOST? Does it work?

On 4/23/2020 at 1:58 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

The manual reflects POD Go firmware 1.10 (which was available for download before anyone got their POD Go), so if you haven't updated, the MIDI spec might not work as advertised.

Hi DI,

Do you know if POD GO is USB class compliant? I want to control it with a Morningstar MC6 through a Kenton USB MIDI Host, apparently it should work provided it's USB class compliant for Midi Over USB.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, phil_m said:

The POD Go is a Class Compliant USB MIDI device. It’s just that it has very limited function as a controller. It has more options if you want to control it with MIDI.

Hi Phil,

I just USB plugged my POD GO into my Son's three years old Windows 10 Gaming Computer, and it did not automatically set up a driver... Doesn't that mean it's actually not USB Class Compliant? Not trying to give you a hard time, but I also could not find any mention of Class Compliant in the POD GO manual. I need to know for sure, because I'm on the verge of buying a Kenton USB midi host so I can control my POD GO and a couple of other MIDI devices with my MC6 MIDI foot controller. According to Kenton, as long as the device is Class Compliant, the host will work. So anyway, if I spend $200 on a Midi Host and it doesn't work, basically, for me, it's $200 paperweight... I guess what I need to know, is, how do you know it's Compliant?

35 minutes ago, Retro-Rick said:

Hi Phil,

I just USB plugged my POD GO into my Son's three years old Windows 10 Gaming Computer, and it did not automatically set up a driver... Doesn't that mean it's actually not USB Class Compliant? Not trying to give you a hard time, but I also could not find any mention of Class Compliant in the POD GO manual. I need to know for sure, because I'm on the verge of buying a Kenton USB midi host so I can control my POD GO and a couple of other MIDI devices with my MC6 MIDI foot controller. According to Kenton, as long as the device is Class Compliant, the host will work. So anyway, if I spend $200 on a Midi Host and it doesn't work, basically, for me, it's $200 paperweight... I guess what I need to know, is, how do you know it's Compliant?

image.thumb.png.e54aaf4d573c9a00c430b880d3b166da.png

• 1 month later...

Ok I just bought the Wireless Pod Go and it’s Great !

Im controlling It with my IPad, Camera Kit and MidiPad 2 App from the AppleApp Store. So far I can change Presets , Snap Shots, and turn on & off the Tuner.

There a few Video’s on YouTube that will get you started.

I see receiving Midi is straight forward based on the manual, but I'm curious if the Go can SEND a midi command(s).  I use a Fishman Triple Play Wireless and hate their app and want to just use SampleTank with it on the iPad clamped to a mic stand.  I can buy the Fishman pedal to do it separately, but would be great if on sound change or snapshot change to send a command to the IOS device to set the sound in SampleTank or any other midi sound engine on the IOS device.  Just brainstorming now...

• 10 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 8:44 AM, djyelland said:

I have recently purchased a Line 6 POD Go and I am happy with everything about it other than it will not accept MIDI from anything other than a PC. It appears to require the driver loaded in the PC to be able to accept MIDI. I am using a Kenton USB Midi Host mkII to host messages from a Morningstar MC6. The Line 6 POD Go is not "generic class compliant" and without the drivers in the PC will not respond to external MIDI. Hopefully this can be easily rectified by Line 6 soon.

Any news on this? I was about to buy a midi controller and a USB host but now I'm not sure I will. Could anyone get this setup to work?

If you have an iPhone/iPad, it will work as a host.  This is what I use regularly to change presets.

I use my iPad (I think it's a 6) connected with the Camera Connection Kit.  One cable that is USB Male A (plugged into Camera Connection Kit) to Male B (POD Go).   The iPad is running the ForScore app and I program custom buttons to send CC messages.  Ch.1/ CC32/ 1 (for user preset bank)/x (have to calculate manually, but it starts at 0).

Can't speak for the Kenton, but I can confirm that I use Apple devices to change presets with no drivers required or anything.  

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread! I'm very interested in using a tablet to change presets during a gig. Seems like it would be way faster to click a button on a tablet than with the Pod's footswitches.

Does anyone have any experience with Android? I'd rather not buy an iPad just for this application.

All the best..

On 4/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, brooksjohnson said:

This is a great thread! I'm very interested in using a tablet to change presets during a gig. Seems like it would be way faster to click a button on a tablet than with the Pod's footswitches.

Does anyone have any experience with Android? I'd rather not buy an iPad just for this application.

All the best..

I do not personally have experience with Android devices, but it looks like MIDI works similarly to iOS.  Through reading, I found that Android started supporting MIDI in 2015.  So I assume any Android devices after this time should have the functionality, either through USB or Bluetooth (MIDI BLE). 

In addition to the cable connection, you would need an app that can send MIDI commands to test it.  If you are using it on a song-by-song basis to change presets like me, maybe you already have an app that you use that can also send MIDI commands. 

Here's one I found that looks like it can do both - https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

• 1 year later...

Hi, is it (technical) possible that Line6 in future software updates midi send over usb supports? For me (and other users) this wish would be awesome because I (we) don't have to invest in a separate midi controller. Please make this wish come true...
Greetings from the Netherlands

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Wasn't sure if I should join this thread or start a new one... 

Controlling the Pod Go presets from a touchscreen is really handy during live shows. I have to jump around the presets a lot and it can take too much time between songs if I have to scroll with the Pod's foot switches.

So I wrote a python program on my PC to create an array of buttons, one for each preset. When I press a button, it sends the appropriate MIDI command via a direct USB cable to the Pod and it switches immediately to that preset. I put the PC on a stand next to me and it works pretty well. 

Attached is the python code and a screenshot of the GUI. I'm not an expert programmer and it was a few months ago, so I don't remember everything I did. But if you're a programmer you should be able to figure it out. Hope this is helpful to someone.

But now I want to be able to do the same thing from an android tablet. The PC is just too big to hang off a mic stand. Right now my options seem to be 1) get my python program running on android or 2) use a commercial app. Anyone have any advice that could save me some time here?

Andrew above suggested mobilesheets. Did anyone try that and get it working?

Here's a similar looking app: http://www.setlistmaker.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

TouchDAW looks promising: https://xmmc.de/touchdaw/

TouchOSC might work, but seems overkill. Also not sure if the Pod is OSC compatible. https://hexler.net/touchosc

And for completeness, here is an open source MIDI controller for android written in python. Haven't tried to get it to work yet. https://github.com/gatuelillo/MidiController

Thanks for any feedback and help. All the best!

brooks

Pod Go MIDI GUI.png

MainGUI-MIDI-POD.py

The concept on an Android tablet is fairly simple. Most of the needed code is already available in the sample https://github.com/android/ndk-samples/tree/main/native-midi. The hard part is everything else.

• What's the interface for building set lists? Do you build them in the app? Do you build them on a PC and find a way to transfer them to the app?
  • Do you want to publish an app and deal with the app store?
  • Do you want to deal with app store users?

Thanks @usedbyanr!  I hadn't considered the android examples. I'll have a look.

To be clear, I'm not looking to make an app for the general public ... just for my own use. I agree with your "hard part" and it's more than I want to bite off.

I'll report back if I can get everything working.

brooks

• 3 weeks later...

Little late on this one - but I would think an Android app like this would work for your purposes: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.volcanomobile.midi_controller.  Hardwire your phone or tablet via USB to the POD Go.  

This is similar to what I would use on the iPad to send preset changes.  Once you learn the MIDI syntax required to set up one "button" (that triggers one preset), it should be pretty copy and paste from there.   

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I was looking for an answer for control my Pod GO trough midi and finally I could make it using the Pod GO, an iPhone/iPad, M-Vave Chocolate, a Lighting to USB adapter purchased from AliExpress, the Apple charger, the midimittr app and the app Chocolate CubeSuite.
In CubeSuite I put the B mode and in midimittr I set the FootCtrl as source and the Pod GO as destination and it works.

I've tried using the M-VAVE MIDI Bluetooth USB adapter instead iPhone/iPad and the Pod Go don't receive the midi command.