Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp -> Control Switcher

Stratojoe17

1 hour ago, Stratojoe17 said:

Hello

how can I set the HX Stomp to control an external control switcher (Voodoo Lab Control Switcher) via MIDI in Snapshot mode ?

Would love this functionality as well to control a small under-the-board switcher like the DPC.micro. Unfortunately, there's currently no Command Center capability on the Stomp so you can't send specific MIDI messages as you change Snapshots. The Stomp only sends PCs with each change to a new preset and these are fixed to each specific preset. No MIDI CC.  You'd have to get a MIDI controller that could control both.

1 hour ago, Stratojoe17 said:

Thanks you. I am really disappointed about the fact that it does not send CC MIDI commands. This means I cannot use the Snapshot mode to control my Fender Amp..

Yeah, it really limits the usefulness of Snapshot mode that you can't send midi commands when choosing a snapshot. You can go on Ideascale and vote for it--not sure how much that influences Line 6. But it doesn't seem to be something beyond the capabilities of the Stomp. For some reason they just haven't included it. The only real option you have is to add another footswitch controller like a Disaster Area or Morningstar that could simultaneously switch snapshots on the Stomp and the VLab.

5 hours ago, Stratojoe17 said:

Hello

how can I set the HX Stomp to control an external control switcher (Voodoo Lab Control Switcher) via MIDI in Snapshot mode ?

Should you choose to upgrade to a Helix that has Command Center, I'll be happy to send you instructions.

Thanks for your responses.

I bought a HX Effects which has the Command Center. No interested in amp modeling .

To steer my Supersonic I need analog signals - not MIDI. Is the HX effects capable to do this ? Or do I need a control switcher again to change the signal from MIDI to electrical signals ?

7 minutes ago, Stratojoe17 said:

Thanks for your responses.

I bought a HX Effects which has the Command Center. No interested in amp modeling .

To steer my Supersonic I need analog signals - not MIDI. Is the HX effects capable to do this ? Or do I need a control switcher again to change the signal from MIDI to electrical signals ?

There's another thread on here somewhere wherein someone pointed out this from the manual:

(Note that, at this time, Amp control messages are not transmitted per snapshot when assigned to an instant command; only when assigned to a footswitch.)

I advised him to contact support to see if that had been fixed in a recent update, but he never replied back. You should contact support and ask them to verify if it's been fixed.

Before you can use the EXTERNAL AMP switching function, you'll need to use a multi-tester to figure out how the three button Supersonic footswitch works. It may be possible to use the VDL to control the Supersonic, but first you need to figure out how the footswitch works.

I would have expected to have the feature to be able to incorporate external Amp switching into a Snapshot. Are you saying this might not work ?

I have a good electrician who helps me on the Amp side: He already figures out how it works.

But I do not want to have to use a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher. I hope I can get around this

There are other threads about the lack of MIDI command send from the Stomp. Its a show stopper for those of us with MIDI-intense setups. You can request that Line 6 add it on IdeaScale; there are several suggestions there for the feature.

• 2 months later...

I am a new helix owner and would like to use the 4 cable method with my tube amps. I just purchased a voodoo lab control switcher and need help setting up helix with control switcher to switch channels on amp. I would like to use snapshots and switch each to correspond to channel on amp. Any input or advice would be appreciated . 

5 hours ago, kennedy5150 said:

I am a new helix owner and would like to use the 4 cable method with my tube amps. I just purchased a voodoo lab control switcher and need help setting up helix with control switcher to switch channels on amp. I would like to use snapshots and switch each to correspond to channel on amp. Any input or advice would be appreciated . 

Be happy to help, but you'll need to provide the exact make/MODEL of the amp.

25 minutes ago, kennedy5150 said:

Sorry, the current amp I am working with is my Bogner Atma. It defaults to channel two.

That amp is tricky. The following was posted by phil_m, who actually owns one:

"The Atma's footswitch input is a single TRS jack, so, yes, you can do it with one expression jack, but if you want to be able to switch between all three channels, it will take two footswitches. The thing about the Atma is that it's not really a 3-channel amp (I own the combo version). It's more like a two channel amp where you can switch between the Crunch and Solo settings on Channel 2. So one footswitch, the one set to Tip, will switch from Channel 1 to Channel 2. The other footswitch will switch between Crunch and Solo. Whether the first footswitch goes from Channel 1 to Crunch or Channel 1 to Solo depends on what Channel 2 was set to before you went back to Channel 1."

If you have a 2 button TRS footswitch, use a continuity tester to see what is actually happening with the Tip/Ring/Sleeve (open/closed) in all of the possible button configurations:

ON/OFF

OFF/ON

ON/ON

OFF/OFF

You'll need an INSERT cable (1/4" TRS to Dual Mono).

The Stomp sends only ONE type of non-configurable MIDI message, PC (Program Change).

The message sent corresponds to the Stomp Preset number:

01A=000

01B=001

01C=002

02A=003

etc.

So, the VLC will have to be programmed to send the correct open/closed info for EACH preset that you use.

Example:

Preset 01A SS1=PC#000=ON/OFF

Preset 01B SS2=PC#001= ON/ON

etc.

Here's the bad news: You're SOL on doing this with Snapshots. Stomp does not have CommandCenter, so you can't tell a Snapshot to send a different PC#, and you can't use CC#s because it doesn't send CC#s.

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

That amp is tricky. The following was posted by phil_m, who actually owns one:

"The Atma's footswitch input is a single TRS jack, so, yes, you can do it with one expression jack, but if you want to be able to switch between all three channels, it will take two footswitches. The thing about the Atma is that it's not really a 3-channel amp (I own the combo version). It's more like a two channel amp where you can switch between the Crunch and Solo settings on Channel 2. So one footswitch, the one set to Tip, will switch from Channel 1 to Channel 2. The other footswitch will switch between Crunch and Solo. Whether the first footswitch goes from Channel 1 to Crunch or Channel 1 to Solo depends on what Channel 2 was set to before you went back to Channel 1."

If you have a 2 button TRS footswitch, use a continuity tester to see what is actually happening with the Tip/Ring/Sleeve (open/closed) in all of the possible button configurations:

ON/OFF

OFF/ON

ON/ON

OFF/OFF

You'll need an INSERT cable (1/4" TRS to Dual Mono).

The Stomp sends only ONE type of non-configurable MIDI message, PC (Program Change).

The message sent corresponds to the Stomp Preset number:

01A=000

01B=001

01C=002

02A=003

etc.

So, the VLC will have to be programmed to send the correct open/closed info for EACH preset that you use.

Example:

Preset 01A SS1=PC#000=ON/OFF

Preset 01B SS2=PC#001= ON/ON

etc.

Here's the bad news: You're SOL on doing this with Snapshots. Stomp does not have CommandCenter, so you can't tell a Snapshot to send a different PC#, and you can't use CC#s because it doesn't send CC#s.

Thanks

1 hour ago, kennedy5150 said:

Sorry again as I have a Helix not stomp so I do have a command center. I am also using the voodoo control switcher also.

Cool. Get back when you've established what the buttons do (open/closed) and I'll work on a how-to demo.