Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mac Catalina OS

abaxe

The only concerns as far as I know are in relation to other software that is not 64bit.  That was the notice that you can read in this forum (last banner under your heading).

So it's not about Helix compatibility as much as other software you might use with your Helix - that will need updating if it's 32bit or just getting old.

As I type this Lungho links to the same article to which I was referring.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
40 minutes ago, jgreg85 said:

Has the Line 6 Monkey been updated to Mac OS Catalina?  I'm still waiting for that to be able to use my KB37.   jgregmorrison@icloud.com  

Well, as this is a Helix forum, you’re actually asking in the wrong place.

Having said that, when checking from the software download page, if you enter POD Studio KB37,  then all software and then Mac OS it seems that Monkey has not been updated since November 2018. That seems rather odd because the version of Monkey stopped at Mojave 10.14, although the Line 6 Licence Manger has been updated to work with Catalina - not sure if that is help or not.

EDIT: It looks like Line 6 have discontinued that product and it is now regarded as a legacy item.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AngelDiaz1972 said:

Cuando podremos usar Monkey en catalina de MacBook. Están esperando que busquemos ayuda legal 

Este es el lugar equivocado para buscar ayuda con Line 6 Monkey. ¡Este foro es para usuarios del dispositivo Helix que no requiere Monkey!

Espero que esto ayude / tenga sentido.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:55 PM, PierM said:

It’s a OS issue, so must be fixed from Apple.

I know this is an old post I'm replying to, but that statement seems unlikely.

I believe the issue is that Catalina no longer supports 32bit software, correct?  That's not an issue, it's a design decision.  There's nothing to fix in the OS related to this change.  It just shows that finally the world is moving past legacy 32bit software officially, and it's time for developers to build everything as 64bit applications.

Hence, if the product is still supported by line6, it must have a 64bit version.

If, in fact, the problem is related to 64bit requirement, not something else (if there is a problem at all from the OP's question.... it's unclear to me if there actually is any trouble with current line6 apps on catalina).

2 hours ago, donkelley said:

I believe the issue is that Catalina no longer supports 32bit software, correct?  That's not an issue, it's a design decision.  There's nothing to fix in the OS related to this change.  It just shows that finally the world is moving past legacy 32bit software officially, and it's time for developers to build everything as 64bit applications.

Hence, if the product is still supported by line6, it must have a 64bit version.

If, in fact, the problem is related to 64bit requirement, not something else (if there is a problem at all from the OP's question.... it's unclear to me if there actually is any trouble with current line6 apps on catalina).

Honestly I don't know. I just posted what I've read from a L6 guy over here, or TGP, don't remember. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donkelley said:

Yeah, well, Apple doesn't control the world... There's tons of 32-bit software out there still in all sorts of applications. 64-bit is desirable for sure, but Apple isn't pushing innovation. It's just inconveniencing its users.

As far as the Line 6 software that's 32-bit, I don't expect any of it to be updated that hasn't been. I suspect that the SKUs that depend on Line 6 Monkey will made to be compatible with Line 6 Updater.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

Yeah, well, Apple doesn't control the world... There's tons of 32-bit software out there still in all sorts of applications. 64-bit is desirable for sure, but Apple isn't pushing innovation. It's just inconveniencing its users.

As far as the Line 6 software that's 32-bit, I don't expect any of it to be updated that hasn't been. I suspect that the SKUs that depend on Line 6 Monkey will made to be compatible with Line 6 Updater.

Of course!

The world of mac users is very different than pc users, typically.  I'm both of those folks, by the way... always have been (and I'm a software engineer).  Apple does control things in the apple world.  They define what is ok to distribute for their OS, and they have very strict processes for getting applications approved.

So your point, while correct, isn't  contradicting anything I said.  Windows has always had far longer legacy support (both for hardware and applications), and it probably will continue do to so.

I never suggested or said Apple is pushing innovation with this particular design decision.  But there certainly are very good reasons to stop support for legacy features in any operating system, and this is what they chose.  It's up to them, and I would imagine it will have a lot of side effects for those who use older apps on Mac (as I do sometimes, although my Mac is too old/limited to run Catalina....  I use my PCs for my job and most of my music work currently).

Absolutely Line6 and any other company who no longer releases new versions of unsupported apps will not be making 64 bit builds just for Apple.  But moving foward, there are pretty easy ways to ensure your applications run under catalina (if 64bit is the main problem, of course), so all current software should end up just fine, either now or in the next update, assuming they are registered Apple developers.

By the way - all registered Apple developers were warned in 2018 that 32bit app support would be ending with Catalina.  So anyone that wanted to support it had plenty of time to do so... and I'm sure legacy apps would be on the chopping block.