Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR/USB output without sending the signal to S/PDIF out

stephane_dupont

Hi,

For a recording I'm using the following preset:

image.thumb.png.836854b2a8210e82c0fb2b92d8f0d215.png

The Digital out of the path 1A is sent to a Kemper, and I get the signal of the Kemper back via the S/PDIF input block on the path 2A.

Problem is I want to hear what I'm doing while recording so I need the XLR output, but also record the Wet signal at the same time by sending the signal to USB 1/2 (or 3/4, ...).

But if I set the output to Multi, it also sends the signal to the S/PDIF out and it creates a feedback loop.

I know that I can first record the dry guitar then reamp later, but is there a way to have both the Wet sound sent to the XLR output and USB X/Y without sending it to the S/PDIF out?

Thanks.

I don't know how you have the blocks set in your preset, or what you're using to monitor, so the attached example preset just uses similar blocks. While I can't see a way to do it as you've described (XLR OUTS), if you attach your monitors to SENDs 1 and 2, this should work.

Stephane.hlx

How long is the cable run from Helix to your Monitors? If It's under 20 feet, there won't be any noticeable audio degradation.

Or, you could connect the sends to DI boxes that would then provide a balanced signal to the monitors.

5 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

How long is the cable run from Helix to your Monitors? If It's under 20 feet, there won't be any noticeable audio degradation.

Or, you could connect the sends to DI boxes that would then provide a balanced signal to the monitors.

You are talking about audio degradation, I'm talking about picking electromagnetic hum, static noise, etc. Any unbalanced cable used near a computer will be picking up all sorts of these. Not an option for a recording environment in a typical small/home studio setup.

16 minutes ago, stephane_dupont said:

Thank you @rd2rk, but as I'm using this in a recording environment, using unbalanced sends are out of the question. The whole setup is about avoiding anything unbalanced actually.

The Sends are actually balanced (they're impedance balanced TRS). So they function very much like regular balanced outs when connected to a balanced input.

2 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The Sends are actually balanced (they're impedance balanced TRS). So they function very much like regular balanced outs when connected to a balanced input.

I knew that about the Outputs, didn't know about the Sends. Thanks again!

6 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Thank you for this information. But unfortunately, already tested it (with TRS cables) and it was picking way more static noise from the computer than using the XLR out.

That being said, to use for monitoring, should not be a problem. Will do that. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, stephane_dupont said:

You are talking about audio degradation, I'm talking about picking electromagnetic hum, static noise, etc. Any unbalanced cable used near a computer will be picking up all sorts of these. Not an option for a recording environment in a typical small/home studio setup.

What Phil said. Could be that's why it was never an issue in my home studio!