Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Potentially Stupid Question About Speakers

ryhamilt

I've never posted on here before, but have done quite a bit of searching in the past and have always found the forums very helpful.  I haven't owned a Line 6 product since the Flextone II XL, which I loved.  I've been playing through only tube amps for the past 10 years or so....Orange, Vox, etc.  I love playing through tube amps, but I'm now starting to get back into amp modeling.

Anyway, the Amplifi intrigues me.  A lot of people on here say it's a toy...and in a way it is.  But I think it has a lot of flexibility.  And here's where my potentially stupid question comes in (or questions).  Is this amp actually FRFR?  When I plug my guitar into the input, does the amp only use the guitar speaker and the other 4 speakers are only used by accompanying music (if playing along with a track)?  Or would my guitar sound come through all 5 speakers?  What if I want to use another modeling pedal...or a Tech 21 sansamp?  (BTW, have you guys seen the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5?  Very cool....)  If I used a sansamp, would I just plug into the guitar input...or would I have to go into the aux input on the back of the amp to take advantage of all 5 speakers?

I like the idea of being able to play with the Line 6 models through the app...but if I can also use the amp as a clean source for other modeling pedals, then win-win.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I haven't had much luck on the "stupid" question I asked either but it is similar.   According to everything I have read all of the speakers are used when playing the guitar.   The main speaker giving off the "dry" guitar tone, and the smaller speakers giving the "wet" or effects signal.    When playing music trough the system all speakers are also active as well.   

What I was trying to determine is if there was a full signal direct out that could be sent to the mixer at a live show, and if not if there were any special mic'ing concerns to get the full sound of the amp as I am not sure just putting a mic on the main guitar speaker is going to be sufficient to capture the fully processed guitar signal.   This could be a problem.   If it can only be effectively used as a stand along amp then its only going to be good for rehearsals and small club gigs where you are not micing up the band.   I really like the idea of this amp, but do not want to spend $499 on a practice amp that I cannot easily use at larger live shows.   

The amp is essentially a POD running into a powered speaker cabinet.  So yes, it is a full-range full-response (FRFR) speaker cabinet, and all speakers are used for guitar.  The modeling section applies a guitar amp, speaker cabinet, and mic model to the sound.  So, it'll still sound like a regular guitar amp.   Run anything guitar-related, like guitars and pedals, into the guitar input on top.

I haven't had much luck on the "stupid" question I asked either but it is similar.   According to everything I have read all of the speakers are used when playing the guitar.   The main speaker giving off the "dry" guitar tone, and the smaller speakers giving the "wet" or effects signal.    When playing music trough the system all speakers are also active as well.   

What I was trying to determine is if there was a full signal direct out that could be sent to the mixer at a live show, and if not if there were any special mic'ing concerns to get the full sound of the amp as I am not sure just putting a mic on the main guitar speaker is going to be sufficient to capture the fully processed guitar signal.   This could be a problem.   If it can only be effectively used as a stand along amp then its only going to be good for rehearsals and small club gigs where you are not micing up the band.   I really like the idea of this amp, but do not want to spend $499 on a practice amp that I cannot easily use at larger live shows.   

If I were mic'ing this for live use, I would most likely place a mic perpendicular to the amp, in-between the woofer and one mid-bass/tweeter, a few inches away from the amp.  Then, adjust location for best sound.   It's not always the easiest to mic a multi-speaker cabinet, but it can be done.

If the amp is primarily used for situations where it needs to be mic'ed, then I would recommend instead checking out the Spider IV or Spider Valve, or POD HD/DT combos.  They'll lend themselves to those situations much better.   It seems like the Amplifi is more for home and jamming use.

In response to the OP

There's some good info here: http://line6.com/amplifi/amp/

Also check out what Andertons did in their demo vid of this, as they used 3 mics (2 would be fine for mono) or 1 at a push.

To fully bypass the internal modelling an successfully use an alternative modeller you would be best to use the aux in and it would use all speakers and wouldn't then go through the internal modelling. I have also seen in the app that you can turn off all the amplifi amp modelling and fx, so it may also be possible to use the guitar input - but I can't test it to guarantee.

Hope this helps

Andy

• 8 months later...

A tangential question to that: Can you disable the mic model sims on the Amplfi? As I understand it, it's basically like being in 'studio/direct'. The mic model is always on, you can tweak amp model, cab model, mic model - but you cannot go into what the HD500 calls "combo/poweramp", IE - the sound of your amp in front of you, vs the sound of your amp with a mic on it going to a mixer or PA.

Is that accurate?>