Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trailing static on the Fullerton Jump amp model

Indianrock2020

Is there anything unusual about the Fullerton Jump amp model that would cause a trailing "hash/static" sound after you strum a power chord ? This is as the main sound dies out. This patch is pretty standard for me with leading and trailing compressors but it does have a snapshot with Timmy (Teemah)  into Heir Apparent into the Fullerton Jump model ( tried many different IRs which really didn't change this static sound as the chord dies out)

A noise gate at the end of the patch didn't really fix it. Reducing the amp bias helped only a little bit.

Fullerton Jump, based on* the classic 1958 Fender® 5C3 Tweed Deluxe (jumped channels)

I am a new user just finding my way around the HX Stomp.  But, I have definitely noticed the same static-type distortion that blooms after the attack of a chord with both the Fullerton and Grammatico Amp models (similar circuits I believe?).  Love to hear any tips to work around it.  

Interestingly, I found a demo posted by Grammatico of the Lagrange amp with Willie Pipkin where the same "hash/static" distortion I hear in the model is present.  Check this out... https://youtu.be/I65-mZvesSM ... particularly around 2:10 where he slowly strums over a chord.  This has me thinking the noise heard in the models is just a very realistic representation of the physical amp.  

Any others experiencing this? 

21 minutes ago, krgilbert1998 said:

Interestingly, I found a demo posted by Grammatico of the Lagrange amp with Willie Pipkin where the same "hash/static" distortion I hear in the model is present.  Check this out... https://youtu.be/I65-mZvesSM ... particularly around 2:10 where he slowly strums over a chord.  This has me thinking the noise heard in the models is just a very realistic representation of the physical amp.  

If you've done the search for "squirrels" as I suggested above, and perused the results, you've noticed that whenever anyone brought this up (just the result of good modeling) they were roundly beaten on by those who wanted Helix to be defective, and didn't get that the competition NOT having "squirrels" didn't necessarily mean what they wanted it to mean.

TBH - every posted example baffled me because, to me, it just sounded like a real amp. 

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you've done the search for "squirrels" as I suggested above, and perused the results, you've noticed that whenever anyone brought this up (just the result of good modeling) they were roundly beaten on by those who wanted Helix to be defective, and didn't get that the competition NOT having "squirrels" didn't necessarily mean what they wanted it to mean.

TBH - every posted example baffled me because, to me, it just sounded like a real amp. 

The world clearly needs a "wartless" modeler to satisfy the obsessive nitpicker demographic...;)

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Wonder Warthog would disagree.....

Wow, someone else into Philbert Desanex... oh the memories.

Apart from that, at least somewhat on topic: I really wish hum and ripple would be turned off by default. I'm possibly not enough of a supernatural warthog to deal with them.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Thx.  Clearly I am missing some history here :)  I didn't search as I have no idea what you mean by TGP.  To be clear, I am not nitpicking or trying to knock Helix.  Just new to the platform and trying to educate myself and take the time to understand how the various amp models behave - warts and all. 

4 hours ago, krgilbert1998 said:

I didn't search as I have no idea what you mean by TGP. 

The Gear Page>Digital and Modeling Gear>Line6 Helix

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/

The Big Dogs of Line6 monitor that thread and post there regularly. There's threads for all the current L6 products.

This forum is mainly users helping users, and not frequented by the Big Dogs nearly as often as TGP.

Since starting this thread I've gone back to experimenting with the HiWatt ( WhoWatt) amp and read enough to be fairly certain we're talking about crossover distortion in some (older? ) Class AB amps.   I'm firmly in the camp that thinks undesirable "hash/static" should not be part of a company's priorities when modeling an older amp.   
Increasing bias, lowering the amp master volume and cutting highs in a following EQ , speaker cabinet or IR helps considerably with this.   I'm now going to find an amp that does well with cleans to moderate drive/crunch but is of a more modern design in the hopes of avoiding much of the crossover distortion.  If I'm successful, it may end my constant switching of amp models "just to see what they're like."

You can hear it pretty well at 03:30 into this isolated track of Malcolm Young --- isolated except sometimes you hear a bit of drums.

22 minutes ago, Indianrock2020 said:

I'm firmly in the camp that thinks undesirable "hash/static" should not be part of a company's priorities when modeling an older amp.

I'm in the other camp.

I see an amp model as being like a photograph. If you take a picture of a person with a wart on their nose, then photoshop the wart away, it's no longer a true picture of that person.

If L6 were to photoshop the amp models, then somebody would post the above examples of real models and say "SEE, it's not an accurate model because it doesn't make that noise!".

It sounds like you've figured it out.

I figure, "if it was good enough for Malcolm....." :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

I'm in the other camp.

I see an amp model as being like a photograph. If you take a picture of a person with a wart on their nose, then photoshop the wart away, it's no longer a true picture of that person.

If L6 were to photoshop the amp models, then somebody would post the above examples of real models and say "SEE, it's not an accurate model because it doesn't make that noise!".

It sounds like you've figured it out.

I figure, "if it was good enough for Malcolm....." :-)

It's all good.  As far as people saying it isn't freakin' noisy like the real amp, they can kiss my grits.  :-)  I'm not concerned about them in the least.   But there are many amps to choose from.  I'm going to look at the MatchStick ( matchless DC30 ) and Line 6 original Litigator which, even if Class AB, may not have been modeled with a desire to retain noise.
As far as one of my previous favorites, the HiWatt/WhoWatt, I think I now know how to tame it's noise and one of those ways is to simply ignore what headphones pickup that nobody in a live band or live crowd would ever hear.   

• Like 1