Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit issues after Windows 10 upgrade

MuziqmanDave

Hey guys I've had my Helix LT for 2 1/2 years and have never had a problem of any kind.  HX Edit worked great, and recording with Reaper was easy. This was all a Windows 7 PC.  Now that Windows 7 is no longer supported I decided to upgrade to Windows 10.  This is were my problems start.  Now when I start up HX Edit it rarely connects with my Helix and only for a short amount of time before losing the connection completely. Also with my Helix connected whenever I try to watch a Youtube video ( in Chrome )the sound gets messed up and stops playing altogether as well. The video looks like its buffering but does nothing. Its not just Youtube. I tried watching a Vimeo clip and the same thing happens. Video plays, then stops and buffers with no sound at all.  There is clearly a driver issues of some sort happening.  I have already tried reinstalling HX Edit but this didnt fix anything.  Both HX Edit and my Helix LT are running 2.80 if that helps. With all the guys having trouble with 2.81 I figured that because I was running fine with 2.80 I would just leave it there.   Would updating to 2.82 fix my issues ? Or is this a Windows 10 driver issue ?

Thanks for the help guys.

Re-install the drivers by re-installing HX Edit.

I would install the latest version (2.82), THEN update the firmware to 2.82.

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

Most of the major update problems with v2.82 are a direct result of people NOT FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS!

Did I mention....FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!!!!???

I agree with the others. If you just updated Windows 7 to Windows 10 but you did not update HX Edit (including the drivers for the Helix).... start there. 

IMO: Since your firmware is 2.80.... I would install that version of HX Edit and "all" it's drivers.

Get the Helix stable, then update everything to 2.82 as per the instructions. 

update: I uninstalled HX Edit and the Updater. Rebooted the PC. Then reinstalled HX Edit 2.80. and now HX Edit wont connect to my Helix for more than 10 seconds without losing the connection. And Youtube still crashes/pauses and I loose sound from my Helix. I also tried plugging my Helix into a different USB port. no change. very frustrating to say the least.  I could try uninstalling everything again and then installing HX Edit 2.82 but I would need to do a full system backup of my Helix LT on my old Mac just in case things go wrong. 

update 2: Figured it out. Finally... this whole time I was plugged into a USB 3 port. Apparently it worked fine with Win7 for years... not the case for Win10. Plugged into a USB2 port on the back of my PC and BAM... works like i should. Helix audio works. Chrome videos work. All is well again.

• Like 2

Random stuff if you want to use that 3.0 port on the front.

Set your visual settings for maximum performance. It doesn't look as nice, but it turns off a bunch unnecessary animations and VFX nobody needs and takes a little off your processor.

Turn OFF any USB port settings for power management. 

Turn OFF any sleep/wake from USB settings.

There's always the possibility that Windows 10 has to handle the ports differently than Windows 7 depending on the hardware configuration, as well, so it may just not work right.

HX edit has never worked on my new PC build using the newest windows 10 version. It works perfect on my old PC with the older version of windows 10 and my laptop but when I built this pc in august 2019 I installed the newest ,latest version and build. Has not worked since. Just a clear window that closes when the helix is connected.I know a little about computers enough to know it is not my fault and it seems to be missing a framework hindering it's operation. I wish it would be fixed.

23 minutes ago, mastodonrules said:

HX edit has never worked on my new PC build using the newest windows 10 version. It works perfect on my old PC with the older version of windows 10 and my laptop but when I built this pc in august 2019 I installed the newest ,latest version and build. Has not worked since. Just a clear window that closes when the helix is connected.I know a little about computers enough to know it is not my fault and it seems to be missing a framework hindering it's operation. I wish it would be fixed.

Of course it's not your fault! When Line6 built HX Edit they built in a feature that blocked YOUR specific configuration from being able to use it with Windows 10! :-)

Seriously, here's what you do.

First, make sure that Windows is up to date.

Second, make sure ALL of your drivers are up to date, INCLUDING the Motherboard drivers.

FWIW - it helps to be SPECIFIC about the hardware you're running. Certain Video cards and Motherboards have been reported as problematic.

Delete all things Line6. Search your directories to be sure you got it all. Use a Registry cleaner (Like CCleaner) to make sure there's no lingering traces.

Do a clean boot.

Perform ALL Windows Updates.

Do a clean boot.

Now, being EXTREMELY careful to follow the install directions EXACTLY, Install the latest HX Edit (v2.82) with ALL options. Again, being EXTREMELY careful to follow ALL directions, use the L6 Updater to update the hardware.

IF, after doing ALL of the above, you still have problems, start over with a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10.

Repeat ALL of the above steps.

If you STILL have problems, do a COMPLETE hardware inventory, open a support ticket and include COMPLETE details of your hardware configuration.

If you're lucky, support will have a history of problems with your specific hardware configuration, or know some trick I'm unaware of.

I know, sounds like a lot of work. But consider - your laptop works fine. Your DIY build doesn't. But you expect Line6 to fix it for you?

1 hour ago, mastodonrules said:

I'm sorry, I left something out.

FIRST THING! Try another USB port. Usually, the ones on the front are a hub. Use the ones on the back, and avoid (if possible) using USB 3.0 ports.

If thet deosn't get it, THEN do the other stuff!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mastodonrules said:

Running Edit on three PCs with the latest updates/versions of Windows 10. If it's only one one computer, and it hasn't worked since you built the machine, it's undoubtedly a hardware issue on the PC end (unless HX edit has stopped working on the other computers since then as well, then its a Helix hardware issue.) I'd start with uninstalling onboard audio and trying the Helix. Then disconnecting the video card and using onboard video and trying it. I had a Windows 7 PC when I originally purchased the Helix and the "HD Audio" driver was trying to do some weird 3D sound processing thing and was commandeering the Helix as a 7.1 output as soon as it was connected. Took a couple of tries to figure out why. There's nothing inherently "broken" in HX Edit.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, rd2rk said:

Of course it's not your fault! When Line6 built HX Edit they built in a feature that blocked YOUR specific configuration from being able to use it with Windows 10! :-)

Second, make sure ALL of your drivers are up to date, INCLUDING the Motherboard drivers.

FWIW - it helps to be SPECIFIC about the hardware you're running. Certain Video cards and Motherboards have been reported as problematic.

Delete all things Line6. Search your directories to be sure you got it all. Use a Registry cleaner (Like CCleaner) to make sure there's no lingering traces.

Do a clean boot.

Do a clean boot.

Now, being EXTREMELY careful to follow the install directions EXACTLY, Install the latest HX Edit (v2.82) with ALL options. Again, being EXTREMELY careful to follow ALL directions, use the L6 Updater to update the hardware.

IF, after doing ALL of the above, you still have problems, start over with a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10.

If you STILL have problems, do a COMPLETE hardware inventory, open a support ticket and include COMPLETE details of your hardware configuration.

If you're lucky, support will have a history of problems with your specific hardware configuration, or know some trick I'm unaware of.

I know, sounds like a lot of work. But consider - your laptop works fine. Your DIY build doesn't. But you expect Line6 to fix it for you?

Thanx for the advice. I did 2 fresh windows installs I am using an MSI X570 motherboard with a Samsung EVO970 M.2 and a vega 64 amd graphics card I still have had no luck getting HX edit to work on this PC. I am so frustrated with it.

1 hour ago, mastodonrules said:

I do not know if it is my processor (Ryzen 3700X) or my MB but it is something lol. HX edit works on my other computers just not this one. The one I need it to.

Did you update the all drivers including Motherboard drivers?

Did you open a support ticket?

18 hours ago, rd2rk said:
20 hours ago, mastodonrules said:

I do not know if it is my processor (Ryzen 3700X) or my MB but it is something lol. HX edit works on my other computers just not this one. The one I need it to.

I did update all drivers and tried 3 different GPUs. I have not opened a ticket but since everything has failed I will. I built this PC to use as my workstation for music as well as gaming. Hopefully this will get resolved so I can stop bringing my helix in my sons room to create new sounds and experiment lol. HX edit is so much easier than using the Helix its self to edit or create presets. Thank you for your advice and time rd2rk.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I guess I'm part of the club as well. Got a Ryzen 5 3600 on a X570 board and swapped two Nvidia cards. I don't know what's up with it, but I noticed by going through older threads that this issue is happening since version 2.71. HX Edit 2.70 renders and works fine, if you can afford to downgrade (which I haven't).

My laptops work fine with it as well. 

It was working as long as I had my old Intel CPU and mobo, so I'm starting to think it might be the upgrade that killed it. Still, that's very unexpected for a software to not work with such a specific hardware configuration.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:31 PM, rd2rk said:

Do a clean boot.

Do a clean boot.

Man, I did all of those steps except reinstalling Windows so far and none worked. I never had a single problem with HX Edit until I swapped CPU. I'm inclined to think it's a software issue with this configuration rather than a computer issue. At least we're two with Ryzen CPUs here. Guess I'll open a support ticket.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, rd2rk said:

I'm sorry, I left something out.

FIRST THING! Try another USB port. Usually, the ones on the front are a hub. Use the ones on the back, and avoid (if possible) using USB 3.0 ports.

If thet deosn't get it, THEN do the other stuff!

This piece of information is something I never considered. The side jacks are a hub? It never entered my mind! So I had nothing to lose by switching two cables, right? IT WORKED!!! For as long as I've owned the HX Effects, I couldn't get the unit to connect with HX Edit!!!... until now!! Just switching the printer cable to a side jack and the HX Effects USB to the back made all the difference!! THANK YOU!!

On 4/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, mastodonrules said:

Still having the same issues. If anyone has found a connection between X570 Motherboard and or ryzen 3700x and HX edit not working and a fix please let me know.

On 4/22/2020 at 4:44 AM, Tom067 said:

Man, I did all of those steps except reinstalling Windows so far and none worked. I never had a single problem with HX Edit until I swapped CPU. I'm inclined to think it's a software issue with this configuration rather than a computer issue. At least we're two with Ryzen CPUs here. Guess I'll open a support ticket.

There's another thread on here where the solution turned out to be that the OS hard drive needed to be Drive 0. Involved swapping drive cables to make it so IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let every one know how happy I am. The latest version of HX edit works with my new PC build. It seem s there was an issue because I was using the new X570 motherboard and newest ryzen cpu. Finally everything works flawlessly. I spoke to line 6 on the phone a few months back and learned that there was an issue there and am grateful they listened and addressed it.