Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Do You Place Outside of Stomp?

funkyeah

My Stomp is coming from Reverb.com next week and I'm trying to do some ampless flyrig layout planning. 

I do plan on using looping for ambient noisescape kind of stuff.  I currently have a Ditto X2 for that but thought that using the Stomp's looper with a Morningstar MC6 would offer more flexibility and control. 

From what I can tell, I need to choose whether I want the looper to be an external pedal or my reverb/delay for DSP reasons.  I also have a Keeley Delay Workstation (Stomp's foot control would be more preferable).  The Workstation's plus is that it's 2-in-1 so would take only one block (I prefer delay/reverb before the amp so it's less processed and sterile sounding).

My blocks should look something like (Wampler Paisley Deluxe) then Mod>Delay>Reverb>Amp Sim>Looper.  Maybe IRs?  If I do stereo looper, I need to use 2 blocks for it?

Do you loopers use the Stomp's or external?  Or do you prefer to run other outboard effects with it?  Also, how long is the standard loop time and can I switch between patches that contain the looper for creating loops with varying amp sounds?

Thank you!

HXS Stereo Looper uses one block. An external stereo looper would probably require 2 blocks.

The MC6 would make the HXS Looper easier to use.

The Ditto X2 is more powerful and probably easier to use than the HXS Looper.

HXS Loop time is 60 seconds mono, 30 seconds stereo.

Ditto X2 Loop time is 5 minutes (mono?).

Ditto allows import and export of loops, HXS does not.

HXS allows you to change presets WHILE looping, but if you STOP the loop, THEN change presets, the loop is gone.

SUMMARY: I'm not really into looping, but if I was, I'd use an external Looper. The HXS Looper is essentially a scratchpad for messing with musical ideas. I don't think it was ever intended as a LIVE PERFORMANCE tool. Without an external controller like the MC6 it's a PITA to use.

EDIT: before someone jumps in and contradicts me on the loop lost if you stop then change presets statement, that was possible up until v2.80, which broke that capability. I have reported it to support, it's been verified and referred up the support chain.

Gotcha.  This all seems to make sense.  I'm not really performing the looping stuff currently, just for playing around.  The soundscape kind of stuff normally isn't that long so 60 seconds (even 30) would be enough but... if I don't plan on looping in the Stomp, I could get away with using the ditto x2 and just get like a Jet Micro or something cheaper than the MC6.

I would still need to use a block so I could have loops after reverb and be able to use the usb interface for recording...

I play for Kishi Bashi and he just uses a DL4 for live looping.  Mono seems to be enough for him and he sums a mic and violin signal to it.  I've had a little trouble with my Ditto X2 switches before so my inclination is to go for internal looper.  But I dunno..

Your insight is helpful though, thank you!