Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lost all my patches

britag

Hello everyone,'

so i own a hd 500x. I created a bunch of patches over the past year to match the songs I was playing along to. The other day an error msg came up on the hd 500x edit program  So I unplug the unit and plug it back on. Poof! all the patches are gone.  Even all the factory presets are gone. When i turn it on it asks to receive presets and upon confirming scrolls through the % progress like its loading them but when its finished, nothing

Any way I can get my patches and/or even the factory presets?

thanks in advance

1. did you actually send them to the unit, or were they all edits in the queue?

2. like all computer files, you should have a backup and a backup of the backup, and a 3rd party cloud backup for when your 3 copies fail. 

3. to get back the factory presets, you can flash the firmware 

4. have you tried unplugging the unit from the usb and then turning the unit on? it is probably too late for that because it seems like you already sync'd. but in the future, that will probably help. 

• Like 1

Yeah I have to admit to old man ignorance as far as the backups.  Im not tech savvy by any stretch of the imagination but ill definitely do multiple backups in the future. Im assuming my created patches are gone with the wind.  That being said, how do I reflash the firmware (again forgive my computer ignorance)

Ok  reflashed and got the original presets back (not that I use them but nice to have them back) Thanks to all for the help. As far as my patches, time to start anew (this is definitely not going to help my insomnia lol!) backups, backups, backups  ! -lesson learned #clueless  

well, ok, now that you have gotten that taken care of... 

use the misfortune of starting over as an opportunity to start over - but this time, you do it with all of the knowledge you have gained from when the machine was new to you. 

Take me for example - 

I am a full time professional musician. Had I known then what I know now, I would have used different global settings. But, because I am 6 years (and 11 days, to be exact) into the machines, I cannot redesign all of my patches to accommodate a change of settings. Maybe an amateur or hobbyist or weekend warrior could do it, but not in the position I am in. So, instead, I am stuck designing new patches around the settings used in the old patches when I didn't know any better.  

*also, it is possible that your exp pedal may have stop working. if it has, you will need to do a global reset and then recalibrate the pedal. 

As a retired computer software engineer, most people do not start doing backups until they go through what you just went through.  No matter how many times I warned them.  Then they come crying to me to fix it.  But after losing important data, they all did backups regularly.  I guess it's just human nature.

Computer rules:

1) A computer will fail when you need it the most.

2) Reboot and see rule 1.

19 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

Take me for example - 

I am a full time professional musician. Had I known then what I know now, I would have used different global settings. But, because I am 6 years (and 11 days, to be exact) into the machines, I cannot redesign all of my patches to accommodate a change of settings. Maybe an amateur or hobbyist or weekend warrior could do it, but not in the position I am in. So, instead, I am stuck designing new patches around the settings used in the old patches when I didn't know any better.  

Everyone has their own good reasons for acting one way or another.

In my case although I also play (and teach) for work, I would certainly be willing to find some time to update all my patches that I actually use (which certainly are neither thousands nor hundreds, since I almost always play the same genre) if a simple change of settings (rather than a change of device)
and consequent few adjustments of the patches would give me a higher quality/superior sound for free, I would do it mainly for my final pleasure, but it would also certainly reflect positively on the results of my work making it even more pleasant to do.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 1/27/2020 at 10:34 AM, pianoguyy said:

well, ok, now that you have gotten that taken care of... 

use the misfortune of starting over as an opportunity to start over - but this time, you do it with all of the knowledge you have gained from when the machine was new to you. 

Take me for example - 

*also, it is possible that your exp pedal may have stop working. if it has, you will need to do a global reset and then recalibrate the pedal. 

I will definitely learn from this lesson moving forward. So Ive redone a few patches and a couple of them are actually a little better than my original ones. Maybe a good thing this happened?

On 1/27/2020 at 7:34 PM, pianoguyy said:

Take me for example - 

I am a full time professional musician. Had I known then what I know now, I would have used different global settings. But, because I am 6 years (and 11 days, to be exact) into the machines, I cannot redesign all of my patches to accommodate a change of settings. Maybe an amateur or hobbyist or weekend warrior could do it, but not in the position I am in. So, instead, I am stuck designing new patches around the settings used in the old patches when I didn't know any better

1 hour ago, britag said:

I will definitely learn from this lesson moving forward. So Ive redone a few patches and a couple of them are actually a little better than my original ones.

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure "pianoguyy" was referring in the above sentence to a particular setting (semi-hidden) in the patches, namely the "input settings" and the advantage (discovered too late, when you've already built lot of patches) sonically speaking of using the "single input approach"..

The above setting and how much it affects the final tones you get unfortunately (due to how L6 implemented it) is not at all apparent/obvious when starting to use this device for the first time.

For more information about it, read my post already written in my forum/website:

How to get the original intended tone from the models - HD500/X signals routings explained

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 1/27/2020 at 1:34 PM, pianoguyy said:

Had I known then what I know now, I would have used different global settings.

Yes, I was absolutely discussing the "hidden" settings that would change the audible tone of every patch.  

As part of my job with Evil Corp, I maintain way too many patches in the archive. 

It is not feasible to try to edit them all to accommodate a setting change. 

If I was, as example, "in a band". And we used one sound, the same as every band has "one sound", that would be different. But one day I am working with Lady Popenstein, the next day Lil Rapdiva, followed by a session with Jimmy Rocker who got my name from when I worked with Nunmore Metal

And then I still find time to play outside of work. 

*names changed to protect the hedonistic