Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix recording only/differently on right and left channels.

zest

Hi!

So I'm using an Helix Rack and I want to be able to record with it. I usually record two rythm guitar tracks that I pan hard left and hard right, as i mostly play metal. But I can't do it with the Helix, here's my problem.

When I record directly with the Helix as my soundcard or via an XLR into another soundcard (I tried a Scarlet 2i4 and an Audiobox USB) the sound is significantly different when I pan left or right.

I tried with Windows 7 and MacOS, using Cubase and Ableton on Win, and Ableton on MacOS.

I just would like the Helix to output a real mono sound, so I can record guitars, pan them and have the same sound on both tracks. Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but could someone help me with this?

Thanks!

What measures have you taken to make sure the difference is NOT in your recording rig, but from the Helix itself?

33 minutes ago, zest said:

I just would like the Helix to output a real mono sound, so I can record guitars, pan them and have the same sound on both tracks. M

If you have used a stereo block toward the end of you path then the left/right output could sound different. 

Place a MONO gain block set to unity as the last item in the chain. That will force everything to sum to mono before the outputs. 

I'm just gonna throw some things out there and make sure we're not overlooking the obvious. I've come up with three things to check.

1. Check your inputs within your DAW.  I'm not exactly familiar with Cubase or Ableton, but on Reaper, when I create a new track, I have the choice of recording in mono or stereo.  By default, the track is mono.  You DAW(s) might handle this differently.  But your description sounds like you're recording and then panning a stereo track.

2. Does this behavior happen on every patch, even with the factory presets?  If not, the issue might be with the routing within your patch.

3. I highly doubt this is the issue but, try a different USB cable.

And there's that ninja, Codamedia, swooping in and posting some sound advice as usual :-)