Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax JTV-59 tuning selector knob

My JTV-59 is my main guitar and over the years I've lived with the push function (change from pink to blue) of the tuning selector knob becoming intermittent.  I merely pull off the knob then stuff a small amount of paper inside and contact/function is restored for a while.  Until yesterday.  

Yesterday I pulled the knob and stuffed some paper in, as usual.  When I went to put the knob back on, I noticed that the pot itself was falling back into the guitar.  I couldn't get the knob back on properly and now the push function doesn't work at all.

The guitar is years old and out of warranty.

My question:

Is repositioning of the pot/control a simple fix?  Note that I don't believe a Line 6 authorized service center is located in the Pittsburgh, PA area and I really don't want to pay to ship.

Any comment or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

" Is repositioning of the pot/control a simple fix? " ---- No.

If what I think has happened, has happened, and the encoder bracket underneath has come loose,

it will have to come back to me at Line 6 for servicing. Log a Support ticket with Line 6.

Thanks for the reply.  I was afraid that was the case.  I've submitted a ticket.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, psarkissian said:

Good. There are only a few of us who deal with this. It's not the usual service and repair issue.

It has to be serviced in a special way.

Hey - I got a RMA but it's gonna cost about $100 just to send it from Pittsburgh to California.  So, I looked again and found an authorized service center about an hour away (Triv's Electronics in Ellwood City PA).  I called and he didn't hesitate to say he could service my Variax. 

So now I'm torn.  Should I try the (relatively) local guy?

Check the listing under the guitar heading,...

Triv's does general service repairs, didn't come up under the guitar heading.

" Should I try the (relatively) local guy? "--- if it's just a glitch, yes. If the whole encoder is loose,

then I'm the only game in town, it's a special thing that only a few of us do. A procedure I came up with to deal with it.

Log a support ticket. If it's a loose bracket underneath, then I'm it.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, psarkissian said:

Check the listing under the guitar heading,...

Triv's does general service repairs, didn't come up under the guitar heading.

" Should I try the (relatively) local guy? "--- if it's just a glitch, yes. If the whole encoder is loose,

then I'm the only game in town, it's a special thing that only a few of us do. A procedure I came up with to deal with it.

Log a support ticket. If it's a loose bracket underneath, then I'm it.

Already logged the support ticket.  The reply stated that I could choose an authorized service center "or" return to Line 6 in California.  I suspect that was boilerplate.

I think I'll suck it up and ship to you, as recommended.

23 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Boilerplate? No.

Support guys are across the hall from me. They know what the locals are capable of verses what I do.

In your case, it needs to come to me. Wish it something the locals could deal with, would be easier for you.

Sent it to you this morning.