Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp & Cubase

uptheirons726

Anyone have experience setting up Cubase to work with HX Stomp? I can't seem to figure it out. I open Cubase, it asks what kind of track I want to make. Acoustic guitar, acoustic guitar with vocals, distorted guitar with vocals etc etc. I choose to start an empty project. I click project, regardless of if I choose to add an instrument track or audio track I get nothing. I go to studio setup and make sure HX Stomp is the selected driver. Still nothing. Anyone have experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I've managed to get it recording. Which is great. My issue is playback. Right now it plays back through my amp. I want to try and make it so that I can playback through a stereo or headphones connected to my laptops headphone jack. If I change the driver in Cubase to the Asio driver then I can get that to work. But it then wants to record through the microphone of the laptop. It's like I can only pick one or the other. I'm wondering if plugging headphones into the Stomp would fix it. 

20 minutes ago, uptheirons726 said:

..... If I change the driver in Cubase to the Asio driver then I can get that to work. But it then wants to record through the microphone of the laptop. It's like I can only pick one or the other. I'm wondering if plugging headphones into the Stomp would fix it. 

That's correct. It's part of the technical specification of the ASIO protocol. The same audio device must be used for both input and output.  

Yes, connecting headphones to the Stomp should fix it, but note that it will still play back through your amp if it is also connected to the Stomp's audio outputs.

Right that's what I figured. I'd wind up with playback through headphones and the amp. I mean eventually I want to get a pair of actual monitors. How would I connect them for playback? I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to do what I am trying to do. 

You would connect your monitors to the Stomp audio outputs.

As for doing what you are trying to do.... it seems you want to have the DAW use your Stomp for audio input but your computer's soundcard for audio output. That can't be done using a fully compliant ASIO driver. It could be achieved by using a pseudo-ASIO driver such as ASIO4ALL but I recommend against it for two reasons:

1) The ASIO4ALL driver may not work well with the Stomp, and it is not supported by Line 6 - meaning that if you have issues and seek Line 6 support the first thing they will tell you is to get rid of ASIO4ALL, use the Line 6 ASIO driver, and call back if you still have issues.

2) The Stomp device is almost certainly a better audio interface device than your internal laptop's soundcard. That means the quality of the audio playback will be inferior.

Why not use your Stomp and get better quality as well as full support? What's the reason for wanting your laptop output?

No particular reason. I just thought that's how it was done. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff so I'm trying to learn and get it all figured out. So if I had monitors they would go into the Stomp and not the computer? Which would allow me to have playback through said monitors. Question is how do I make it so that playback ONLY happens through said monitors or headphones and not the amp as well?

Disconnect the amp and only use the monitors/headphones. Why would you need /want your amp involved if you are using monitors or headphones?

Note that the type of amp you are using has a definite colouring effect on the sound/tone. The tone you are recording is different from the tone you hear through your amp. This colouring effect is minimized by using good quality FRFR (full range flat response) studio monitors. The sound quality produced by your Stomp, especially if your are using a cab/mic combination or IR in your preset, is at its best when monitored through FRFR rather than through a normal guitar amp.

Yes. And in your DAW make sure you turn off the Record Monitor feature. Otherwise you will hear some latency - a kind of doubling of the sound. 

Give that setup (using only the Stomp; no amp, no laptop audio ins/outs) a try using headphones first. Once you're comfortable with things and understand how it's working you can then invest in a pair of FRFR studio monitors. There are many options and price ranges, and many threads here on that topic to help you out.

Don't be surprised when you find the sound /tone you hear through the headphones is different from what you are used to hearing through your amp. But understand that this is much closer to the sound that is actually being recorded. You may find you  want to tweak your tone so that it sounds better through the headphones. And again, more tweaking may be desired when you add the studio monitors.