Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi 2.0

Dsprag000

With the arrival of midi 2.0, got a question/idea/ discussion topic.

Will Line6 be able to just upload this into the helix?  Can you imagine how game changing this could be?  Is this going to be in 2.9 maybe?  I am very clumsy with midi, this looks to be a huge step towards a more user friendly format. 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/midi-20-spec-confirmed-the-biggest-advance-in-music-technology-in-decades?utm_content=buffer1f963&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-musicradarfb

• Upvote 1

It's going to be years before you start seeing it implemented in devices. The standard MIDI jack is going to remain the same, but the hardware needed to enable the two-communication is going to be different. So it certainly doesn't seem like it's going to be possible to implement it in existing MIDI devices (although existing MIDI devices will still work with MIDI 2.0 devices).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

It's going to be years before you start seeing it implemented in devices. The standard MIDI jack is going to remain the same, but the hardware needed to enable the two-communication is going to be different. So it certainly doesn't seem like it's going to be possible to implement it in existing MIDI devices (although existing MIDI devices will still work with MIDI 2.0 devices).

The "inquiry" features that can be used for auto-configuration could probably be implemented in MIDI over USB relatively easily. I expect that to be a next generation sort of deal because software manufacturers will take a while before they get around to implementing them, and even longer to get a compelling use case that spooks other companies into action.

Personally I'm very much looking forward to have Ableton for example auto-populate a native version of the controls available on the Helix on connecting a cable.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, phil_m said:

It's going to be years before you start seeing it implemented in devices. The standard MIDI jack is going to remain the same, but the hardware needed to enable the two-communication is going to be different.

NOT true. I saw a couple of devices at the NAMM show that are 2.0 ready. And Roland's new flagship keyboard, for example, has 2,0 at release.

it's true that 5-pin din will not work with the MIDI 2.0 standard, but USB MIDI will. So it's at least theoretically possible that some USB MIDI devices can be updated via firmware.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, amor4jc-2 said:

NOT true. I saw a couple of devices at the NAMM show that are 2.0 ready. And Roland's new flagship keyboard, for example, has 2,0 at release.

I am pretty sure @phil_m was talking about widespread use of MIDI 2.0 implementation... and I agree with him. Just because a "core spec" has finally been approved does not mean every new product will begin implementing it.  It will begin to trickle into the marketplace... not flood into it.  I'm curious as to how long it will take the Major DAW's to implement it.... I highly doubt it will be this year, but that is just my opinion. 

IMO: Roland having a USB2 Ready machine coming out is more about marketing (hey look... were the the first to have it) than any sort of practicality. Like owning a Model T when there were still only horse paths to drive on.  

Don't get me wrong... it's been 40 years since MIDI first came out. It's about time! I'm looking forward to what is coming! 

Although it will probably take a while to work its way into available devices I am cautious about making specific prognostications about how quickly a new technology, or in this case an old one with a new and improved standard, will be adopted.  I have worked for companies who have been burned by thinking they had years to respond to these changes only to watch them being adopted way more quickly than anticipated.

I appreciate the OP bringing the new MIDI 2.0 standard to our attention.  The auto-configuration capability is exciting, enabled by the addition of bi-directional communication. Between that and the new improved 32-bit resolution and more controllers we may see a more nuanced translation of string instruments like the guitar to MIDI(digital), hopefully without introducing too much programming complexity required. Improvements to MIDI have at least the potential to greatly improve tracking for guitar synthesis which even at its best I have still found to be occasionally glitchy and limited.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Although it will probably take a while to work its way into available devices I am cautious about making specific prognostications about how quickly a new technology, or in this case an old one with a new and improved standard, will be adopted.  I have worked for companies who have been burned by thinking they had years to respond to these changes only to watch them being adopted way more quickly than anticipated.

I appreciate the OP bringing the new MIDI 2.0 standard to our attention.  The auto-configuration capability is exciting, enabled by the addition of bi-directional communication. Between that and the new improved 32-bit resolution and more controllers we may see a more nuanced translation of string instruments like the guitar to MIDI(digital), hopefully without introducing too much programming complexity required. Improvements to MIDI have at least the potential to greatly improve tracking for guitar synthesis which even at its best I have still found to be occasionally glitchy and limited.

Agreed. The first two features you mentioned are to me the most exciting. There are some new synths out there that I’m tempted to buy- like the new Korg Wavestate. But then I think about my DAW and trying to get the new synth’s patch lists over to it and that pretty much stops me dead in my tracks.