Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Advanced Snapshot switching...........

xguitarplayer17x

Hi all New owner of a HELIX floor unit here.  I have been enjoying the unit for a few weeks now and have a few questions as I am about to start dabbling in snapshots. so as of now I have my unit set up like I did with my old hd500x.  rhythm channel on one pre set high gain on another clean and lead etc etc etc.  This use to work and I had gotten use to the slight delay in changing presets, with this floor unit its a bit more complicated for my preset switching.  I need the ability to switch on and off effects and switch in-between presets during a song and I know snapshots can do this in a different manner then just switching a channel, I know it can activate and de activate amps and peddles etc. what I am trying to understand is this.  If I want a rhythm clean and lead channel lets say, I understand that I have to make 3 snapshots and make sure all the effects and amps will fit in 1 preset due to dsp,  what I don't understand is how I can switch the snapshots.  like can I use the bottom 3 buttons to the right of the bank up bank down buttons for snapshot 1 2 and 3 and the rest for stomps?  if so do I have the ability use 2 buttons one for clean and one for lead, and when I select the clean snapshot the foot controller that it was assigned to if pressed again could switch to my rhythm?  I go to preset 1 all my snapshots are there.  its already set to snapshot one (rhythm) I have all my stomp boxes set to other foot controllers other then the 2 that would switch to snapshot 2 and snapshot 3.  lets say I need to go to lead (snapshot3)  I press the button the lead snapshot is loaded but that button if pressed again will take me back to snapshot 1?  is this possible?  

You can configure Helix to have 4 snapshots on the top and 4 stomps on the bottom, or the reverse.

You use snapshots to make the major changes, then use the stomps to toggle certain effects within a snapshot.

If you put snapshots on the top, then in the preset, put the stomps you want visible in the snapshot on the bottom, and vice versa.

You can configure the snapshot buttons to re-load the snapshot, or not.

Say you've used the stomps to toggle 2 effects OFF (or ON), at different times, then you want them both back on at once. If the snapshot is set to re-load on second press, you'll get back the saved version of the snapshot UNLESS you've configured the individual stomps to IGNORE snapshot changes, or you've set the Global setting to RECALL, in which case even if you change snapshots, those pedals will retain their settings. even if you return to the original snapshot where you made the changes.

Sound complicated? Set up your preset and snapshots. In Global Settings, on the PREFERENCES page experiment with the "Snapshot Edits" and "Snapshot Reselect" settings to see how the Snapshots and Stomps behave with the different settings. Then go back to the signal chain view, select an effect to which a Stomp is assigned, press "ACTION" and play with the "Snapshot Bypass" setting. All three of these settings interact to determine Stomp behavior when changing snapshots. Mix and match for YOUR use case.

As for changing Amp Gain levels with Snapshots, if you're making radical changes (super clean to full gain), it's best to use two amps rather than tie the GAIN parameter to Snapshots. As discussed in another current thread about noisy snapshot changes, it's less noisy that way.

14 hours ago, shelterdsoul said:

lets say I need to go to lead (snapshot3)  I press the button the lead snapshot is loaded but that button if pressed again will take me back to snapshot 1?  is this possible?  

It's possible to take you back to the previous snapshot. For example you are in snapshot-2 and then you go to snapshot-4. Pressing the snapshot-4 button again, will take you back to snapshot-2. But you have to activate this feature in the global settings(Preference>TogglePrev). ...and you need the 2.8 firmware or higher

• Upvote 2

why not use 8 snapshots?    that gives you 8 options during a single performance.   Not an expert on it...but snaps are the ultimate way to get around and toggling between sounds. 

Clean channel snap 

Hi gain snap 

Lead snap 

you've got 5 snapshots left to make noise. 

seems more than enough to cover a song. 

2 hours ago, Heavyville said:

why not use 8 snapshots?    that gives you 8 options during a single performance.   Not an expert on it...but snaps are the ultimate way to get around and toggling between sounds. 

Clean channel snap 

Hi gain snap 

Lead snap 

you've got 5 snapshots left to make noise. 

seems more than enough to cover a song. 

Snapshots allow set variations within a preset.

Stomps allow on-the-fly variations within a snapshot.

Fwiw, I'm using all three possible FS modes together: 4 snapshots/stomps, 10 stomps, 8 snapshots. My main 4 snapshots are those visible in 4 snap/stomp mode and I can get to 8 snapshots by pressing the up/down switches simultaneously. I keep some more "esoteric" combinations on the additional 4 snapshots. As far as stomps go, the 4 visible in 4/4 mode are some that I use to globally modify a preset (or channel - I'm usually using 2 channel setups), so they have "snapshot bypass" deactivated.

And btw, I have also set my global snapshot edits to "discard", that way the snapshots always stay identical and I can recall them all the time (minus the stomps with "snapshot bypass" deactivated).

Works pretty well for me that way.