Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-59 Brand New Action

I suppose, over the years, I've set my LP standard (10's) and Ibanez S520EX (9's) to slinky low-actions, I am surprised by the -59 acrion out of the box.  I'm a long-time player, but relatively new to all this modeling. First reaction was to lower the bridge about 1/4 turn on hex wrench.  Helped, but still not happy, with delicate ageing fingers.  I think the -59 is stringed with '10s, and features this fancy "Black Tusq" nut, but the action is high for my taste as a rhythm player.

Of course some string buzz is acceptable (in my analog historic world), partly because I'll play barre chords for hours.  So, how do I get the action lowered to the minimums?  Being a brand new guitar, I'll take it to the local tech at Guitar Center for recommendations.  But, I can't help but wonder if I'm a crybaby about the action.  Lots of players have reported that they like the string action out of the box.  Matters worse, I think I'll need to go to 11's and lighter finger picking for the sparkling acoustic models.

Thanks to the forum folks,

warcloudwells

I found the jumbo frets on the JTV-59 too high for my taste. It appeared the action was very high, but in fact the distance from string to fret was not unusual. It was the added height of the frets that made the strings so high off the fretboard. I couldn't get used to the very light touch required to avoid pressing so hard on the strings that the notes would actually be sharp by the time the string hit the fretboard.

My solution was to replace the jumbo frets with normal frets. Lower action (to the fretboard) and no sharp notes.

Oooh.  I bow to the expert.  But re-fretting surgery?    I'll measure my other guitars' frets tomorrow, but am surprised that the -59 fret dimensions are so jumbo-ish (possibly coining a new word), as you suggest.  Did I buy the wong JTV for mostly-rhythn playing?  Other opinions on -59 box action?

One other option is to have the guitar setup on a Plek machine.  That prevents minute high spots from causing string buzz and lets you lower the action closer to the frets.  But, if the distance from the fingerboard to the fret top is an issue you may need to consider re-fretting.

• Upvote 1

But, I can't help but wonder if I'm a crybaby about the action.  Lots of players have reported that they like the string action out of the box.  Matters worse, I think I'll need to go to 11's and lighter finger picking for the sparkling acoustic models.

Every guitar player I've ever met (inlcuding myself) is a crybaby about the action...we like what we like and that's it. The 11s is a good idea too...then again, I think that's a good idea for all the world's guitars, but that's just me...

I like jumbo frets for rhythm playing.  You can lower the string height at the nut.  To get the minimum string height you need to have the neck adjusted perfectly and all frets must be proper height.  A good guitar tech should be able to set it up to your liking if you don't fancy doing it yourself.  My JTV69S was set up almost to my liking when I got it.  I lowered the string heights at the bridge slightly - each string is individually adjustable on a strat type bridge which is nice.  The nut height is fine on mine but most of my other guitars came with the string height at the nut way too high for my liking.  Getting a perfectly made high quality nut is probably the best thing you can do to make your guitar ring out better and make it more playable.

I noticed that Fender has got some new technology going in their strat deluxe plus; not sure if this was released at NAMM or prior, but it represents an interesting concept. I wonder if this is the first of many companies to follow the lead set by Variax.

I mean, consider the possibility of Line6 Variax technology being available as an option on a high end USA Fender instrument, or a Gibson. The ideas on this new Fender guitar are definitely cool, the ability to swap pickups with a quick change plug, and the "personality card" insert option. Definitely intriguing!

http://www.fender.com/series/american-deluxe/american-deluxe-strat-plus-maple-fingerboard-mystic-3-color-sunburst/

"The remarkable new American Deluxe Strat® Plus guitar is the next step in the evolution of that great tradition, giving you three Stratocaster guitars in one with an innovative design featuring easily interchangeable “personality cards†that instantly give you a wealth of versatile pickup and circuitry configurations.

One card comes in the guitar and delivers standard Stratocaster pickup wiring; two extra personality cards are included and let you “re-wire†the guitar with specialized pickup and circuitry modifications quickly and easily. Simply pop the color-coded cards in and out of the easy-access compartment in the back, and you’ve just modded your Strat in record time. Further, the American Deluxe Strat Plus features fully solder-less electronics that literally make other great circuit mods a snap."

I noticed that Fender has got some new technology going in their strat deluxe plus; not sure if this was released at NAMM or prior, but it represents an interesting concept. I wonder if this is the first of many companies to follow the lead set by Variax.

I mean, consider the possibility of Line6 Variax technology being available as an option on a high end USA Fender instrument, or a Gibson. The ideas on this new Fender guitar are definitely cool, the ability to swap pickups with a quick change plug, and the "personality card" insert option. Definitely intriguing!

http://www.fender.com/series/american-deluxe/american-deluxe-strat-plus-maple-fingerboard-mystic-3-color-sunburst/

"The remarkable new American Deluxe Strat® Plus guitar is the next step in the evolution of that great tradition, giving you three Stratocaster guitars in one with an innovative design featuring easily interchangeable “personality cards†that instantly give you a wealth of versatile pickup and circuitry configurations.

One card comes in the guitar and delivers standard Stratocaster pickup wiring; two extra personality cards are included and let you “re-wire†the guitar with specialized pickup and circuitry modifications quickly and easily. Simply pop the color-coded cards in and out of the easy-access compartment in the back, and you’ve just modded your Strat in record time. Further, the American Deluxe Strat Plus features fully solder-less electronics that literally make other great circuit mods a snap."

Interesting, but I don't really see a company like Fender ever developing and kind of tech that gives you access to anything but other "Fender sounds"...and while it would be nice, they almost certainly wouldn't allow anybody else's electronics to be the "brain" of one of their guitars. To many, that wouldn't be a Fender anymore, and would be considered sacrilege. Personally I think that's ridiculous, but that's a whole other discussion.

Companies that have been around forever all seem to suffer from the same creativity stifling disease...IMHO, the Fenders and Gibsons of the world are always way too attached to "tradition", and their "classic" status to ever develop anything truly innovative. "New" ain't in their vocabluary. They're always terrified of offending the traditionalists and being labled sell-outs. I really don't think they want to build anything that doesn't "sound like a Fender"...

Besides..."retro" is IN!  That's why you can walk into any big-chain music retailer and see a whole wall of "vintage" instruments, many of which appear to have been dragged behind a pickup for 6 miles, with $3K pricetags. Why would you want new, when old is so "cool maaaaaaaan"...lol

I too found the action on a new 59p to be too high for me... So took it to my tech an he lowered it, feels great. But..

The slight fret buzz you can get with electric that you can't really hear when amplified is really noticeable when using the modelling due to the piezo's.

If you have a pro set up and the tech is not used to variaxes it might be worth pointing this out so they can try and minimise it