Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native hasn't been notarized for Mac OS X Catalina

BlueD

I just upgraded to a new MacBook 16 and I'm quite shocked to discover that Helix Native is still not properly signed and notarized for Mac OS X Catalina. Catalina has been out since October and the work required to fix this issue is MAYBE a couple of afternoons of pretty light work, probably less than that.

The interesting thing is, the issue is not even mentioned in the compatibility bulletin Line6 has out for Catalina unless I misread or missed it. Are you folks aware of any fix?

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 8.23.19 PM.png

5 hours ago, BlueD said:

I just upgraded to a new MacBook 16 and I'm quite shocked to discover that Helix Native is still not properly signed and notarized for Mac OS X Catalina. Catalina has been out since October and the work required to fix this issue is MAYBE a couple of afternoons of pretty light work, probably less than that.

The interesting thing is, the issue is not even mentioned in the compatibility bulletin Line6 has out for Catalina unless I misread or missed it. Are you folks aware of any fix?

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 8.23.19 PM.png

This is a copy of my reply to someone on the Helix forum, from way back in October 2019 - This is not a Line 6 issue specifically, as it is a thing that can occur with lots of installation routines, especially ones that have not come from the Apple’s own App Store.

Quote:

Hi, 

This is now normal behaviour for Apple Mac Operating Systems - you have just encountered the “Gatekeeper” which is built into the OS to protect you from malware.

Rather than go through typing out the process of getting past this situation, I will give you a link to Apple’s own page on how to deal with this stuff. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

Hope this helps/makes sense.”

Also, at the top of these pages in the second orange banner is a statement from Line 6 regarding OS Catalina and compatibility.

10 hours ago, datacommando said:

This is a copy of my reply to someone on the Helix forum, from way back in October 2019 - This is not a Line 6 issue specifically, as it is a thing that can occur with lots of installation routines, especially ones that have not come from the Apple’s own App Store.

Quote:

Hi, 

This is now normal behaviour for Apple Mac Operating Systems - you have just encountered the “Gatekeeper” which is built into the OS to protect you from malware.

Rather than go through typing out the process of getting past this situation, I will give you a link to Apple’s own page on how to deal with this stuff. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

Hope this helps/makes sense.”

Also, at the top of these pages in the second orange banner is a statement from Line 6 regarding OS Catalina and compatibility.

Well, that's normal behavior for unsigned software. I expect that from a fly by night company but not from a multi national company like Yamaha. Catalina has been released in October, Line6 should be well beyond that issue and done making the necessary adjustments.

The procedure is pretty clearly explained here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_macos_software_before_distribution

What I was wondering was more "am I downloading the wrong version?" and the answer is no, I'm not not missing anything, Line6 is just sleeping on this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueD said:

I'm not not missing anything, Line6 is just sleeping on this.

O.K. That's your opinion, and that’s fine, but the gatekeeper thing is only a minor irritation when the software is first installed. It only needs to be done once, after that there shouldn’t be any issues with using the plug-in. It’s hardly a “life and death” situation and actually it was introduced by Apple specifically for their Operating System..

There are many people on here who are probably more concerned that Native either will not work with their hardware and DAW combination, or that Native wants to “phone home” constantly.

My guess is that most folks on these Helix forums would be a lot happier with the software development team getting on with progressing the v2.9 firmware and then onward to v3.0.

I certainly wouldn’t be losing any sleep over an installation challenge - Your Mileage Obviously Varies.