Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv69 Mags Sound Much More A Real Strat Then The Modeling

I see many complains about the strat's modeling sound, even with 69 users. Aren't It's mags (the 69) suppose to sound like a strat? I find the mag's sound much more a real strat then the modeling (except of course, the bridge). just an observation.

I can't say the same for mine...I find the neck and middle pickups to sound a little thin and "tinny"...even for single coils. I do like the sound of the humbucker though.

Agreed!  I do love the mags on my Korean 69, except in my little studio, where all the electronics cause a pretty big hum.  If I don't feel like hauling out the HD500, I often just play it straight through my DT25 and get a great tone, even when my battery is dead.  The neck/mid out of phase position nails that "Wind Cries Mary" sound. 

• Upvote 1

Depends on what you mean by a "real Strat" I guess. Right now I have five Strats in my possession (need to sell a few, but have been putting it off...). Anyway, they all sound slightly different. To me the Spank model on my JTV69 sounds most similar to the 2012 American Standard I have. I actually recorded comparisons in the "quack" positions and put them up here, and more people chose the Variax model as the real Strat than the real Strat.

I guess all I'm saying is that there's no one "real" Strat sound. If you don't like the stock sounds, you can always edit them in Workbench. To me, that's really the genius behind the JTV. You're not stuck with what someone else thinks sounds good. You can customize it to what you like.

• Upvote 2

There are so many different pickups used in Strats that they do all sound different.  Mine was so bad with single coil noise pickup in my music room that I installed EMG active pickups.  They are dead quiet by the way but they do not sound quite as good as my original pickups did.  My JTV69 single coils pick up a bunch of hum as well.  I seldom use the mags on my JTV because they are too noisy in my environment.

There are so many different pickups used in Strats that they do all sound different.  Mine was so bad with single coil noise pickup in my music room that I installed EMG active pickups.  They are dead quiet by the way but they do not sound quite as good as my original pickups did.  My JTV69 single coils pick up a bunch of hum as well.  I seldom use the mags on my JTV because they are too noisy in my environment.

I'm completely addicted to the total lack of hum with the JTV...picking up any of my other guitars is almost a nuisance now. Sad in a way...

• Upvote 1

I replaced the single coil pup's in my 69S with some DiMarzio silent single coils, and they have been great! The original pickups sounded fine, but I had been spoiled by hum buckers and the single coil hum is just a fact of life (usually). I use the mag pups on my 69S and 59 I'd say 90% of the time....

I use the models for some special sounds and tunings, and acoustics, of course.

I will probably replace the SC's in my Strat at some point, as well...

Dave

• 9 years later...

My jtv69 mags sound exactly the way I like a Strat to sound......however, the modeled sounds are waaaaaaay too mid-rangy for me. I've tried to mid-scoop the models

without any success. I'd like to get the models to sound as close to the mags as possible!   Any tips or patches (HD500x) to share?

Thanks!

On 4/2/2023 at 5:06 PM, cubbini said:

... I'd like to get the models to sound as close to the mags as possible!  …

Why? You can use the mags anytime, and sounds like you would even if you’re successful in making the model sound close. Any real application, or just idle curiosity?

Thank you silverhead.

And if I recall correctly,... Custom 1, toggle-1, Alt Tune on Model, gives you the model for the 69.

Yes, there is a model for the 69 in the 69 (or 59, or 89/89F). I almost never use it except test purposes

once every blue moon.

And you can always go into Workbench HD, and modify it even further.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:10 PM, silverhead said:

Why? You can use the mags anytime, and sounds like you would even if you’re successful in making the model sound close. Any real application, or just idle curiosity?

to get rid of hum

On 4/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, psarkissian said:

Keep away from florescent lights.

...and ceiling fans, dimmer switches, that neon Bud Light sign that is inevitably hanging on the wall in the corner where the band sets up, dirty socks, and lima beans. Single coils are noisy, and damn near ANYTHING in close proximity will make them noisier. Humbuckers were invented for a reason...;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 12:06 AM, cubbini said:

My jtv69 mags sound exactly the way I like a Strat to sound......however, the modeled sounds are waaaaaaay too mid-rangy for me. I've tried to mid-scoop the models

without any success. I'd like to get the models to sound as close to the mags as possible!   Any tips or patches (HD500x) to share?

Thanks!

Go here https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24065.0 , sign up, and download the bundle. Keep whatever you like. It blows the standard models