Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Pc Soundcard ?

really depends on your PC and your OS.  There are many things to consider.  Are you planning to record? You will probably want a decent USB audio interface.  There are many out there but look for one with at least USB 2.0, SPDif, both Mic with Phantom power and line inputs, headphone outs, and midi.  You should be able to find a bunch for less than $300.

Do you understand that your HD500X is a great audio interface on its own?  When you connect by USB it takes over as your sound card.  Plug your computer speakers into the POD or use studio monitors or even a good headphone and you really don't need to buy anything else. You can record straight over the USB right in to all major DAWs.

I haven't really used my audio interface since I hooked up my POD...  It does everything I need.  I find I only use my other interface for midi connectivity for my keyboard.

• Upvote 1

+1 to radatats

If you are want to record the 500x sounds, you already have what you need for an interface.

Do you already have a DAW?

As for other interfaces, I have used this in the past

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Omega/

But it really depends on you current and future needs.

My bro-in-law has been using an 8 channel (i think) that he has been happy with, I'll find out what it is.

Thank you guys!

My PC is a i5 core processor with 8 GB RAM without a soundcard, I use the jacks integrated in the motherboard. As OS I have win7 and linux in partitions.

Well, I have heard that the HD500X is indeed a great audio interface on its own, I connected it to my PC with USB, selected HD500X as input interface and tried to record with movie maker (so video and audio at the same time)... but the sound is way different than when connected to the amp and its very noisy...

Btw, what means DAW ? I`m sorry but I am a beginner :)

Thanks!

fr2632

In my experience the only thing good about audacity is the price....

i'd recommend mixcraft if you are willing to spend a few dollars (75$, they have a free trial)

or reaper (40$, you can try it for free and it will work forever without a license.... honor system)

you'll be much happier long term if you get away before you discover the limitations in audacity. (primarily from being open sourced... doesn't always play well with licensed technologies)

I use audacity as recording software (audio only) and windows movie maker (video and audio).

In my experience the only thing good about audacity is the price....

i'd recommend mixcraft if you are willing to spend a few dollars (75$, they have a free trial)

or reaper (40$, you can try it for free and it will work forever without a license.... honor system)

you'll be much happier long term if you get away before you discover the limitations in audacity. (primarily from being open sourced... doesn't always play well with licensed technologies)

Thats great! I will try both, thank you very much!

fr2632 

+1 Zap

but I think Reaper ~ $60 these days, well worth it IMHO.

Not sure if Movie Maker supports ASIO, this is what you need for the 500x (and USB audio interfaces in general) .

Also not sure if Audacity is directly supporting ASIO, but I know in the past you could compile it with ASIO support (Audacity wiki it).

Worse case arisen, you cab record with a separate DAW and bump the audio into Movie maker post processing.

Also Reaper has a decent user forum and great documentation.

Hadn't notice the price jump! i bought my license long ago...

reaper is good... but for a 15$ difference, i'd take mixcraft!

of course i would have taken mixcraft even with the 35$ difference. :)

it's the most garageband like DAW for windows... read: very easy for a beginner, and plenty of room to grow as you learn.

+1 Zap

but I think Reaper ~ $60 these days, well worth it IMHO.

Not sure if Movie Maker supports ASIO, this is what you need for the 500x (and USB audio interfaces in general) .

Also not sure if Audacity is directly supporting ASIO, but I know in the past you could compile it with ASIO support (Audacity wiki it).

Worse case arisen, you cab record with a separate DAW and bump the audio into Movie maker post processing.

Also Reaper has a decent user forum and great documentation.

Yeah, mine was ~40 when I bought it too.

Not to derail the OP, but, if you are already fairly proficient in Reaper, any compelling reasons to switch to Mixcraft (besides looks)?

Does it have a decent "groove" detector (I miss that from Acid)?

I'm not sure, I generally do my own groovin'! haha

but its a free trial to check it out.... totally should give it a try...

i think it will surprise you how easy it is to "get"

Yeah, mine was ~40 when I bought it too.

Not to derail the OP, but, if you are already fairly proficient in Reaper, any compelling reasons to switch to Mixcraft (besides looks)?

Does it have a decent "groove" detector (I miss that from Acid)?

follow up...

This is the inter face my brother from another mother uses and he's pretty happy with it.

He captures a lot of band practices with it, I think 4 mics for the drums, 2 guitars, bass and vocals into Cubase.

If you order from sweetwater ask for Alex and tell him Rich sent you, they'll throw some candy in the box (they'll do that anyways).

I get absolutely no kick backs, with the exception of maybe an extra butter scotch!! :lol:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US1800?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLPH_6LQpLwCFcY7MgoddXMAhQ

Funny thing is that's the exact interface i use!

when i have extra stuff to mic.... i use the pod on its own most of the time.

follow up...

This is the inter face my brother from another mother uses and he's pretty happy with it.

He captures a lot of band practices with it, I think 4 mics for the drums, 2 guitars, bass and vocals into Cubase.

If you order from sweetwater ask for Alex and tell him Rich sent you, they'll throw some candy in the box (they'll do that anyways).

I get absolutely no kick backs, with the exception of maybe an extra butter scotch!! :lol:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US1800?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLPH_6LQpLwCFcY7MgoddXMAhQ

The Tascam US1800 is a great interface (note you can sometimes get it on sale for $249 or even lower).  I've got a US800, but I don't need more than the 6 inputs as I don't record drums (even if I did I'd use the Glyn Johns + method:  snare, kick, 2 overheards + room).