Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can’t get a strat tone

willyjacksonjs22

11 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Before you do anything drastic, I'd really recommend finding another strat with 'known good tone' and try it with your Helix patches. While it's definitely possible the pickup was damaged, usually the damage is of the type that it doesn't 'sorta work'--it barely works or not at all. Also, try experimenting with the overall height of the pickup too. I've found that lowering single coils pretty low usually helps to get that 'spanky' strat sound.

^^^^^^ All good advice, this. I should really have said something along these lines last night.

16 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Before you do anything drastic, I'd really recommend finding another strat with 'known good tone' and try it with your Helix patches. While it's definitely possible the pickup was damaged, usually the damage is of the type that it doesn't 'sorta work'--it barely works or not at all. Also, try experimenting with the overall height of the pickup too. I've found that lowering single coils pretty low usually helps to get that 'spanky' strat sound.

If you have an ohm meter and know how to use it, you can measure the pickup to see if it's damaged.

Also, if you share your patches here, I can try it with my strat+helix and record it for you to see how it compares.

Edit Edit: I see you said you tried a friend's strat it and you didn't like the tone either. I think posting the patches you're using here so we can try would be best at this point, so you can at least have an idea how it sounds on other people's gear.

This. 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 11:00 AM, jorgealberto25 said:

A tried all amps in the helix. Haven’t tried a real amp 

I think others have said this by now... but if you're trying to recreate a precise sound from a real amp then you might want to try getting the sound from a real amp first... that way you know your guitar is capable of making the required dry signal when you bring it to the helix.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:26 PM, qwerty42 said:

If you have an ohm meter and know how to use it, you can measure the pickup to see if it's damaged.

Also, if you share your patches here, I can try it with my strat+helix and record it for you to see how it compares.

Edit Edit: I see you said you tried a friend's strat it and you didn't like the tone either. I think posting the patches you're using here so we can try would be best at this point, so you can at least have an idea how it sounds on other people's gear.

This is the one I was trying. My strat doesn’t sound anything like it 

Here are some samples with my strat (2019 American professional), neck pickup, volume and tone both 10, using Jason's patch from the youtube video. This is the 'clean' snapshot, with the expression pedal fully up (tipped back on the heel).  In some of the bits I varied the dynamics between soft picking and forceful chunking so you can hear the difference it makes. (Sorry to Jimi for butchering his song, and I hope you like Chili Peppers... lol)

On 2/15/2020 at 10:04 PM, jorgealberto25 said:

This is the one I was trying. My strat doesn’t sound anything like it 

Until you get the guitar checked out, there's nothing more to be said.

It's the first item in the signal chain. You've been tinkering with the pickups in a way known to potentially cause damage. It does not sound as you would expect it to sound. So the guitar needs to be checked out and confirmed to be functioning normally - or not - before going any further.

For what it's worth, I downloaded that patch from Customtone to see what I would find. My guitar is Strat-like but has DG-20 EMGs and is somewhat darker sounding. I do not use the input padding, fyi.  I found it to be a fairly high-output patch and I had to roll the amp block channel volume way back to match the typical stock patch levels. You might check that you aren't clipping somewhere after the Helix, as that would affect the tone. Otherwise, it matched the tone from the video pretty closely when using the neck pickup. I missed a bit of the sparkle (typical for my "darker" guitar) but toggling the compressor off at the end of the chain brought it back.  Good luck!