Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can’t get a strat tone

willyjacksonjs22

What amp models have you tried? I personally like the Cali Texas Ch1 (Mesa Lonestar Clean channel) model for these types of tones. I also think that so much of it depends on the pickups.

Another trick is using a Fuzz block in your chain and setting the input impedance low - like 22kOhms. When you turn the volume down, that will give you a nice spank.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, phil_m said:

What amp models have you tried? I personally like the Cali Texas Ch1 (Mesa Lonestar Clean channel) model for these types of tones. I also think that so much of it depends on the pickups.

Another trick is using a Fuzz block in your chain and setting the input impedance low - like 22kOhms. When you turn the volume down, that will give you a nice spank.

Wow! Nice trick. Thanks:

29 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Yeap I have tried all the amps. Might be the pickups. The neck doesn’t sound that bright and not much attack, sounds close to a humbucker.

thanks I’ll i try that option and see if it works. I feel like trying another guitar and see if it’s my unit or the pickups because overall on YouTube videos in any style of music sounds crystal clear. That will require going to the store lol

18 hours ago, phil_m said:

thanks for sharing!  cool insight for sure.    

seem to learn a few things from this dude. 

3 hours ago, jbuhajla said:

For me to get that percussive strat "spank" then the nice bell tone, it is all in my picking. If you are light on the picking, you won't get that sound. Pickups will effect that as well. 

Yeah I tried to pick hard too but no success. I don’t know about pickups because I just watch a video of a Squier bullet with stock pickups getting that strat tone spank. I also tried headphones, new cables, a friends strat and still nothing. Maybe something is wrong with the input? Because with high gain stuff ( with humbucker guitars) I don’t get that much low end.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, jorgealberto25 said:

I can’t get the percussive edge to breakup strat tone, Jimi Hendrix, Texas blues etc...

I already downloaded patches, looked at some YouTube videos and I just get a kinda dull lifeless tone.

25D300A3-03B3-48EB-8F12-98F4FCEE03C0.jpeg

Is this the guitar you are using? What brand, wood material, what type of pickups and what brand of strings? 

On 2/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, phil_m said:

Great tip via the estimable Pete Thorn :-)

Thanks Phil!

On 2/6/2020 at 5:20 PM, jorgealberto25 said:

I can’t get the percussive edge to breakup strat tone, Jimi Hendrix, Texas blues etc...

I already downloaded patches, looked at some YouTube videos and I just get a kinda dull lifeless tone.

My main guitar is a Fender American Original 60s Strat with rosewood fb, (exactly as reviewed here) and I have no problems getting the full range of classic Strat tones from Helix Floor. While this is not an answer to your question (sorry) it *is* affirmation that Helix can do what you want, so please keep experimenting. It took me a while to get it all sorted out but was well worth the time and effort.

13 minutes ago, jorgealberto25 said:

It can coil split. I’m trying to get a good tone out of the neck pickup

Okay, understood. Sorry, but it's amazing how easy confusion can creep into these discussions, so details do have to be checked...

I've not played Texas Specials through Helix and they do seem to divide opinion (bit midsy, can be harsh, sensitive to the wood, not good in some bodies, great in others etc). That said, it should be possible to get a decent spanky tone assuming that the guitar is working properly (good wiring and soldering, good pots, clean jack socket, pickup height set optimally) *and* a Helix patch that is right for what you are trying to achieve. This can take a while, especially if you are new to Helix and still exploring mic / cab combinations, amp choice, EQ etc.

24 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

Okay, understood. Sorry, but it's amazing how easy confusion can creep into these discussions, so details do have to be checked...

I've not played Texas Specials through Helix and they do seem to divide opinion (bit midsy, can be harsh, sensitive to the wood, not good in some bodies, great in others etc). That said, it should be possible to get a decent spanky tone assuming that the guitar is working properly (good wiring and soldering, good pots, clean jack socket, pickup height set optimally) *and* a Helix patch that is right for what you are trying to achieve. This can take a while, especially if you are new to Helix and still exploring mic / cab combinations, amp choice, EQ etc.

Yeah the guitar is fine it’s just that tone I’m after and it’s easy to get because I see guys getting it with a Squier bullet and in the helix with just one amp and cab with no pre and post eq

13 minutes ago, jorgealberto25 said:

i connect my hx stomp to my focusrite and used a pair of jbl lsr 308 monitors. I tried usb and same issue. 

The JBLs are powered and Stomp > JBLs should work fine. Have you tried Stomp > JBLs direct? Not quite sure what the Focusrite is doing in your chain? As opposed to a mini mixer if you are pulling in backing tracks or whatever for practice.

Yes I tried direct and sounded just a little different but not that noticeable so not a big difference.  

I use the focusrite as an audio interface because I don’t like the stomp for that job. But one thing I noticed yesterday was that my recordings sounded dull and weak so what I did on reaper I selected the stomp to do all the recordings instead of the focusrite. So that helped allot. Idk why that solved it. But the playback was still coming out from the focusrite and not recording what was being fed trough it’s inputs. So I was kinda using it like a mixer lol

Well, I'm still not sure what's going on :-(

My gut feel - which could be woefully wrong - is that it may be about the way you've built your patches but it's very difficult to be sure.

Perhaps now there's a bit more detail here about your setup someone might have further suggestions...

7 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

Well, I'm still not sure what's going on :-(

My gut feel - which could be woefully wrong - is that it may be about the way you've built your patches but it's very difficult to be sure.

Perhaps now there's a bit more detail here about your setup someone might have further suggestions...

Thanks for your help :)

I tried so many patches and YouTube videos without success. 

idk maybe it’s me I’ll tried to post the sound I get 

56 minutes ago, Rocco_Crocco said:

Not sure how experienced a player you are, OP. How's your playing technique? Have you ever been able to get Strat tones out of any guitar/amp/mulit-fx combo? 

Idk maybe intermediate to advance. I like to play allot rhythm. Specially funk. 
yes last time I tried some strats with some amps and that strat tone was there! It’s noticeable when playing one simple chord

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's related, but why are the pole pieces on your neck pickup like that? Are you sure they're the original pickups for that guitar, and haven't been messed with? I'm referring to the height of each pole piece. The way they are staggered is wrong for Texas Specials.

Edit: the stagger on your middle pickup is weird too. Did you buy this guitar new? If you're not the one who changed the height of those pole pieces, I suggest you take the pickguard off and see if those are even Fender pickups...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

I don't know if it's related, but why are the pole pieces on your neck pickup like that? Are you sure they're the original pickups for that guitar, and haven't been messed with? I'm referring to the height of each pole piece. The way they are staggered is wrong for Texas Specials.

Edit: the stagger on your middle pickup is weird too. Did you buy this guitar new? If you're not the one who changed the height of those pole pieces, I suggest you take the pickguard off and see if those are even Fender pickups...

Good catch :-)

Here's a stock set of SSS Texas Specials - none match those of the middle and neck on OP's guitar:

13335541_800.jpg

6 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Yes they are the original pickups I bought the guitar new. The pole piece from the b string was put down because it was giving me that tremolo effect noise when fretting the higher notes on the fretboard with distortion. 

The B string polepiece is the stock height. It's D and G that look wrong.

It is a bit odd for a stock new Strat... But the key point is that you've been making pole piece height adjustments...

You can damage single coil pickups by tapping the poles in. I think the Texas Specials are vintage style, so with fibreboard flatwork. These can definitely be damaged if you mess with the pole piece height.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BBD_123 said:

The B string polepiece is the stock height. It's D and G that look wrong.

It is a bit odd for a stock new Strat... But the key point is that you've been making pole piece height adjustments...

You can damage single coil pickups by tapping the poles in. I think the Texas Specials are vintage style, so with fibreboard flatwork. These can definitely be damaged if you mess with the pole piece height.

Damn it I didn’t know that could happen. The Squier that I borrowed had the same issue in tone. So by just tapping one pole can dame the whole pickup? No wonder I don’t get that brightness on the neck the others are ok.

26 minutes ago, jorgealberto25 said:

Damn it I didn’t know that could happen. The Squier that I borrowed had the same issue in tone. So by just tapping one pole can dame the whole pickup? No wonder I don’t get that brightness on the neck the others are ok.

Unfortunately, yes. The cheaper modern pickups usually have a plastic sleeve around the pole. With vintage-style pickups, the winds are directly in contact with the poles. So moving a pole down can damage the wind itself. I think. If this is crap, hopefully someone will set me straight.

This might be why what worked for the Squier did not work for the Strat and instead left you with a dull neck pickup.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

Unfortunately, yes. The cheaper modern pickups usually have a plastic sleeve around the pole. With vintage-style pickups, the winds are directly in contact with the poles. So moving a pole down can damage the wind itself. I think. If this is crap, hopefully someone will set me straight.

This might be why what worked for the Squier did not work for the Strat and instead left you with a dull neck pickup.

What pickups do you recommend? Any decent affordable Combo set hss? 

6 minutes ago, jorgealberto25 said:

What pickups do you recommend? Any decent affordable Combo set hss? 

I can't recommend pickups for you because I have no idea what your ears like :-)

But there's no need to replace the bridge humbucker unless you don't like it.

22 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

I can't recommend pickups for you because I have no idea what your ears like :-)

But there's no need to replace the bridge humbucker unless you don't like it.

I like allot of music from super cleans to heavy distortion.

I was looking at prewire pickguards and I just remembered that the humbucker splits. So I’ll keep that one.

Before you do anything drastic, I'd really recommend finding another strat with 'known good tone' and try it with your Helix patches. While it's definitely possible the pickup was damaged, usually the damage is of the type that it doesn't 'sorta work'--it barely works or not at all. Also, try experimenting with the overall height of the pickup too. I've found that lowering single coils pretty low usually helps to get that 'spanky' strat sound.

If you have an ohm meter and know how to use it, you can measure the pickup to see if it's damaged.

Also, if you share your patches here, I can try it with my strat+helix and record it for you to see how it compares.

Edit Edit: I see you said you tried a friend's strat it and you didn't like the tone either. I think posting the patches you're using here so we can try would be best at this point, so you can at least have an idea how it sounds on other people's gear.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1