Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fractal Audio EV-2 With HX Stomp?

lyricbread

Hello everyone!

I recently ordered an HX Stomp and have been getting all of my cables and such together in preparation for its arrival. I have a Fractal Audio EV-2 Expression Pedal that I was wanting to use and have a few questions for those who might be familiar with this unit. 

I reached out to Customer Support and they suggested that I post my questions on this forum. 

The Fractal Audio EV-2 utilizes a 1/4” TRS to TRS cable when being connected to a Fractal Audio Modeler. I’m aware that the HX Stomp utilizes a TR to TR cable. My question is, will my Fractal Audio EV-2 work with the HX Stomp? Also, what type of cable will I need to connect it? 

Thanks!

I am also curious about this. I have an EV-2 that I tried to calibrate but did not work. I assumed I did it wrong, but maybe they are not compatible?

The behavior as volume pedal:

Heel all the way down, no volume (as expected). 

Half way through sweep and volume is 100%.

Toe all the way down and no volume.(this should be 100% volume).

There are many ways an expression pedal can be wired... If you are handy with a soldering iron, expression pedals are usually easy to adapt.

Although the Line 6 likes to see a TS connector, you should still be able to use the TRS end as long as you are not wired to the R (ring) although I do not know this for certain.

Here is the Line 6 preferred wiring... anything else will be hit and miss. 

line6.jpg.d19751a326758429987d20dddd0cdc8f.jpg

11 hours ago, jeremiahzellers said:

I am also curious about this. I have an EV-2 that I tried to calibrate but did not work. I assumed I did it wrong, but maybe they are not compatible?

The behavior as volume pedal:

Heel all the way down, no volume (as expected). 

Half way through sweep and volume is 100%.

Toe all the way down and no volume.(this should be 100% volume).

I’m experiencing the exact results. I opened up my EV-2 and it appears that they are using surface-mounted jacks and a ribbon cable for the expression input. I’m not sure of the type of potentiometer they’re using, but I’d rather not modify the pedal given the cost. Did you try it with a TRS cable? I only have a TS cable which gave me the results above.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is old but the polarity in the EV-2 has to be reversed which will require re-soldering the expression jack. Other pedals like the Dunlop DVP series have a switch that does this in the pedal.  Unfortunately the EV-2 does not have an internal switch to make it easier.    

6 hours ago, steviek19 said:

I know this is old but the polarity in the EV-2 has to be reversed which will require re-soldering the expression jack. Other pedals like the Dunlop DVP series have a switch that does this in the pedal.  Unfortunately the EV-2 does not have an internal switch to make it easier.    

The Helix already provides an option for polarity... providing polarity is the only issue with the wiring. 

So does the EV-2 work with the Helix when you go into Global settings, Pedals, and REVERSE the polarity for that specific EXP2 or whatever?

Has anybody tried this?

Also, I assume that you have to use a TS no avoid issues and NOT a TRS cable with the Helix (use TRS with Fractal or Kemper).

It didn't work.. ha ha... I tried all scenarios... EV-2 with TS and tried TRS, as well as reversed polarity (100-0-100) and normal polarity (0-100-0)... I'm getting a Dunlop DVP5 instead, since it's 8-inches, the Dunlop DVP4 is like 6-inches (closer to the EV-2) but I want longer 8-inches that will sit on my Pedalboard and feel nicer under my foot, AND (work with my Kemper TRS, then switch polarity in HX Stomp Global, AND switch the internal button within the Dunlop pedals themselves to end up with calibrated 0-100 when I want it to work for my HX stomp or my Helix floor)... Rock-on!  My EV-2's will stay with my backup Kemper, since they work well for that purpose.