Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench Volume and Tone resistance reference guide?

Hi,

Is there any reference guides to what settings to use for each body for the Volume and Tone controls? The settings are all new for me and would like to have a guide of some sort to get started, so I know what resistance I need to pick for each body and build from there. I tried to search the forums but couldn't fine any, sorry if this questions has come up before.  

I'm not aware of any such guide. If you find something please post a link here.

The thing is, there's no right or wrong with this stuff. The guide you seek might say one thing while your ears tell you something else. Trust your ears and explore all the options to discover your preferences.

Hi there!..

It happens that when I find something interesting I save it in some form to be able to reuse it quickly if I need it again later.

Some time ago in a site dedicated to Line6 devices called "Vettaville.nl" there were several interesting articles, some of which concerned the Variax world.

I managed to save something of that material in my archive dedicated to modeling stuff, and here follows attached to this post the part that probably talks about the info you are looking for..

Although the examples therein reported refer to the first generation Variax and the non-HD Workbench, the explained concepts remain the same even for the new generation Variax guitars.

Here it is: WB Tutorial 6 290107.pdf

2 hours ago, JaPPa said:

Hi,

Is there any reference guides to what settings to use for each body for the Volume and Tone controls? The settings are all new for me and would like to have a guide of some sort to get started, so I know what resistance I need to pick for each body and build from there. I tried to search the forums but couldn't fine any, sorry if this questions has come up before.  

All of that stuff has little to nothing to do with a guitar's body style... it's about the electronics... how the pickups and volume and tone pots react to each other. You can find online discussions about how various different capacitors and resistors will affect the frequency sweep of tone pots, why 250K pots are typically paired with single coil pickups, and 500K pots with humbuckers, etc etc... but it's geek-level stuff that's lost on most of us (myself included), with the exception of electrical engineers and pickup designers.

I'm as tone-crazy as the next guy... and I've fiddled with some of those parameters in Workbench on occasion. Honestly, the differences are subtle at best... but as was already mentioned, there are no "right" or "wrong" settings the digital realm. If you like the way it sounds, have at it. Nobody's gonna be able to listen to your sound and say "Why did you select the 0.1 uf capacitor instead of the 0.05?".

37 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

All of that stuff has little to nothing to do with a guitar's body style... it's about the electronics... how the pickups and volume and tone pots react to each other. You can find online discussions about how various different capacitors and resistors will affect the frequency sweep of tone pots, why 250K pots are typically paired with single coil pickups, and 500K pots with humbuckers, etc etc... but it's geek-level stuff that's lost on most of us (myself included), with the exception of electrical engineers and pickup designers.

I'm as tone-crazy as the next guy... and I've fiddled with some of those parameters in Workbench on occasion. Honestly, the differences are subtle at best... but as was already mentioned, there are no "right" or "wrong" settings the digital realm. If you like the way it sounds, have at it. Nobody's gonna be able to listen to your sound and say "Why did you select the 0.1 uf capacitor instead of the 0.05?".

iIf you listen you can most definitely tell the difference and it can be a big influence if you try to get close to a particular sound. The settings also impact the tone/volume behavior on rolling them back too as I understand. 

My questions was not) does it make an impact and much? But I was wondering if there was a guide that showed what the used pods were on the guitars modelled to get a starting point and build from there. 

46 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

Hi there!..

It happens that when I find something interesting I save it in some form to be able to reuse it quickly if I need it again later.

Some time ago in a site dedicated to Line6 devices called "Vettaville.nl" there were several interesting articles, some of which concerned the Variax world.

I managed to save something of that material in my archive dedicated to modeling stuff, and here follows attached to this post the part that probably talks about the info you are looking for..

Although the examples therein reported refer to the first generation Variax and the non-HD Workbench, the explained concepts remain the same even for the new generation Variax guitars.

Here it is: WB Tutorial 6 290107.pdf 1.29 MB · 3 downloads

that’s looking interesting! Will read it when I have to time xD