ribribeiro

HX Stomp odd noise

Hello,

I have an issue with my HX Stomp. It makes an odd hissing/crackling/clipping (squirrels?) sound on some settings with some amps/effects.

I made a super simple example with a single amp/cab block and an EQ to isolate the noise. The preset and recording are attached.

Is this normal? I read some people had a similar problem, but I didn't find a recording of it.

Thanks a lot!

hiss.wav hiss.hlx

I have had this happen to me to on the default presets. I believe it is just the gain on the amps and distortions as well as how loud the models and the stomp is. 

I believe that what you're hearing is what those amps/effects sound like.

To get around it, use other amps and effects that you like better, or use the EQ to CUT what you don't like.

You can also try a couple of standard tweaks to reduce hiss:

- increase the Bias setting in the amp parameters

- decrease the hi cut in the cab settings

Thanks for the tips, guys.

It does seem to be block dependent, but I couldn't find a specific correlation with distortion.

For instance, I get it on the Fuzz Face, but not on the Muff, which is more distorted. Also, the legacy Fuzz Face doesn't seem to have the issue, only the new one.

Some amps have it more than others as well. But again, not always correlated to distortion.

I couldn't really get rid of it with a high cut, as it's not at a very high frequency.

For now I'm working around it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a defective unit, as I got it second hand. Would be nice if anyone could say if they reproduced the noise I uploaded with the preset I uploaded.

Thanks again!