Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go Edit

Kevzmusic

Just curious,

Will the upcoming POD Go Editor be available to iPads and other mobile devices via an app...like with the Spider Remote?

I think it should be...so one doesn't need to be tethered to a laptop or PC in order to edit menus on a larger screen..

That was always my pet peeve when using the external editor with my PODxtPro rack unit and Flextone HD Combo back in the 2000 era. 

I know it won’t have bluetooth....but iPad edit capability would be nice.

Then it would be truly a “go” piece of kit.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fireproof said:

I highly doubt it.  They didn’t invest in iPad editor for their premium line of Helix products, so I don’t see them doing it just for the Pod Go.

But that’s just my guess.

Hmmm, that is rather shortsighted.

This is 2020 and iPads are now used as much as a laptop or PC.

An iPad (or other mobile device) based editor should be standard today with all Line 6 products.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, Kevzmusic said:

An iPad (or other mobile device) based editor should be standard today with all Line 6 products.

How would you propose that be done without affecting the price or delivery date at this point?

19 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

How would you propose that be done without affecting the price or delivery date at this point?

I am not proposing that at this point.

However, I am saying this should have been carefully considered at the product design stage, etc.

It’s now 2020, and the iPad (and other mobile devices) are now just as popular as a regular computer or laptop.

The iPad pro (for example) is used in most professional platforms these days.

So manufacturing a tech based product that is not compatible or accessible via an iPad, etc today is rather shortsighted. 

Bluetooth is also a must as well.

Lite and mobility is absolute key today.

Just keeping it real.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kevzmusic said:

I am not proposing that at this point.

However, I am saying this should have been carefully considered at the product design stage, etc.

It’s now 2020, and the iPad (and other mobile devices) are now just as popular as a regular computer or laptop.

The iPad pro (for example) is used in most professional platforms these days.

So manufacturing a tech based product that is not compatible or accessible via an iPad, etc today is rather shortsighted. 

Bluetooth is also a must as well.

Lite and mobility is absolute key today.

Just keeping it real.

I get that. So what feature(s) would you remove to achieve that at the same price point? I am honestly curious about your opinion as you obviously hold tablet connectivity in a high regard.

When you say that tablets are just a popular as the PC platform, are you quantifying that within the music industry or just in general?

I don’t think anything needs to be removed.

The Line 6 Spider V series has the Spider Remote Edit App that allows one to deep edit the amps using any iPad, etc., via USB.

So, why can’t the POD Go have this function too?

They are both very similar products from a price point perspective.

iPads (64 bit) and other mobile platforms in general have become the norm now.

I rarely use anything but iPads there days....and in a short while, even the chip hungry programmes, etc...will be run from them.

Desktop PC’s and even laptops (in their current form) will become obsolete within a short while.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Kevzmusic said:

I don’t think anything needs to be removed.

The Line 6 Spider V series has the Spider Remote Edit App that allows one to deep edit the amps using any iPad, etc., via USB.

They are both very similar products from a price point perspective.

iPads (64 bit) and other mobile platforms in general have become the norm now.

I rarely use anything but iPads there days....and in a short while, even the chip hungry programmes, etc...will be run from them.

Desktop PC’s and even laptops (in their current form) will become obsolete within a short while.

Ok, this is no longer productive. Thanks anyway.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Kevzmusic said:

I'm not sure there's anything saying that this wouldn't be possible with a camera kit connection in the future sometime.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Kevzmusic said:

Yes, that is indeed correct.

You have not actually contributed anything to the dialogue.

But hey,  you are most welcome :-) 

Damn Kev, I just asked you a couple of questions. You regurgitated, but that's ok. You posts made me throw up in my mouth a little bit too. Have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this was a concept the Firehawk explored, with limited success. Changing patches via bluetooth was too laggy, connection stability was an issue too. No major manufacturer has a decent multifx with bluetooth or a mobile app, as far as I can remember. TC have their toneprint which isn't quite the same thing, Zoom have a very basic pedal with bluetooth, and a few have amps with bluetooth or 2.4Ghz connections, but incorporating it into a giant amp box in comparison to a tiny pedal is probably simpler and cheaper, I would imagine.). Boss, L6, Mooer, Zoom, Kemper, Headrush - that none of them have really implemented it other than in a testing-the-water kind of way suggests the demand for it maybe just isn't there right now?

I preferred to set up my patches with the ipad Firehawk editor over bluetooth, but it was utterly useless in a live setting, and frankly don't think I'll miss it going forward. I suspect your prophecy on the death of the computer is a long way off too.

If all else fails and you really want that deep edit, but mobile, try a Surface? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 5:27 PM, Kevzmusic said:

From all stats I've seen, this is not the case at all - tablets (that is, all iPads, Android, Surafce devices, etc.) only make up about 4% of the market share, as compared to 45% or more for each computers and mobile phones, and tablets don't seem to be growing market share much at all. iPad sales specifically do keep increasing, so maybe it seems like they are more popular than they are, but overall, tablets in general are still very much a minority in the big picture. Now there could be a higher % of MUSIC users on iPads vs computers, but I doubt that is anywhere near 50%. So, statistically, if you had to choose to serve just one platform, Mac & Windows computers is the one to serve. 

Now, that's not to say I would not love an iPad editor version myself! But I can see why Line 6 focuses on the computer platform for the initial focus. I would not find a phone-based editor very useful (screen too small), but I suppose if Line 6 did a tablet editor, they'd be able to also have it work on Apple/Android phones too.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone, Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, if not could you direct me to where I should post it, i just got my first line 6 product and need some help.  I have the Pod Go.  I am having trouble getting the Pod Go Editor app to work on my laptop (windows 10 pro), it walks me through the installation fine, but when I go to open the Editor app it tells me there was a problem and I should try downloading it again.  I tried this three times now with the same result.  The only thing I can think is that may it is b/c  I am using Windows 10 Pro, is this the issue?  If not does anyone have suggestions on what else I can do to get the Editor app to work.

thanks, 

Brian

On 3/22/2020 at 2:01 PM, soundhog said:

I would not find a phone-based editor very useful (screen too small), but I suppose if Line 6 did a tablet editor, they'd be able to also have it work on Apple/Android phones too.

Depend of the RESOLUTION of your screen !

I notice absolutely NO problem with my phone, and have a nice full screen of all my settings. It's why I choose the Firehawk, No need to go on your knees or lollipop your back to go down every time you want to adjust something

A screenshot of my Amp setting and one of the full EQ settings

Screenshot_20200627-123050.jpg

Screenshot_20200627-123058.jpg

• Like 1

I can see the attraction of an app. A friend of mine has a little Marshall Code and its easier for him to use the app than program from the amp. The Pod Go editor is excellent & IMO the only way to really set up your Pod Go and hear/undo each change - but I get that whilst that's OK at home, an app is a more 'mobile' solution (no pun intended).  As ever, it's nice to have the choice should Line 6 decide to bring something out here - it's already been a very successful unit so it's always possible they might look at this.  

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, jamesjstokes4 said:

So, to ask again... Will there be an update to allow iPad Pro to utilize pod Go edit?

Now c'mon, seriously...do you really expect anyone here to know? You could however put your idea on Ideascale to see how much interest/ support this might generate, and ask Eric Klein (Chief Product Design Architect) of Line 6 whether this might be on the cards in the future.  Those would at least be constructive activities. 

• 1 year later...

I have a pod go and a Catalyst amp.  While I like pod go edit, I really appreciate that the Catalyst also has an app for IOS.  I have a USB B to lightning cable that makes the connection so easy.  I always have my phone and I keep the cable with the amp.  In most cases I won't have my computer where I am playing guitar (unless I am forced to). 

The point about iPads being a fraction of the market is a valid one.  Nearly all of the developed world is populated by humans who use an IOS or Android phone.  This includes professional musicians.  For a pro level device, if a decision has to be made between a PC/mac editor or a mobile app ... yes you choose the pc/mac. But why not both?