Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good beginner amps for pod HD500x

lonelydadhelp

Hi guys, I'm buying a POD HD500x, and I'm looking at second hand practice amps to use it with (not playing gigs, just home use, so don't need too much power). 
From what I've been told, to begin with I only need an amp that's got a nice clean tone that I can run the pod into. 
Looking to play mostly post rock, ambient, and math rock type music. 

Just looking for some advice on what specs or models of amp I should be looking at (getting pretty overwhelmed with the amount of conflicting recommendations on the net). 

Some that are available second hand in my area are below if anyone wants to recommend them (or give me an idea of an amp to keep my eyes open for). Budget is around $200.

All listed are in Australian dollars:

- Marshall MG30FX ($200) 
- Marshall Valvestatte 40V 8040 model  ($200) 
- Cube 20XL ($200) 
- Vox VT20X    ($200) 
- Peavey Studio Pro 112  ($200) 
- Peavey Bandit 112  ($150) 
- Line 6 Flextone II Amp 250 Watt  ($140) 

Thanks heaps guys!

to get the most out of a modeler, don't use a guitar amp 

the modeler provides guitar amp/cap/mic tone, you don't want to put virtual tone on top of physical tone 

you said the word "clean" but don't confuse a guitar amp's clean tone with the type of clean you need. you actually need a clear tone.  

So, instead of buying any of what you listed.... 

Buy a flat system, such as one would use for listening to music (i.e. a commercially available cd).  

A PA system. 

A keyboard amp. 

Studio monitors. 

• Like 1

I have a set of EONs which are out of your price range. But any PA type set will work. 

I also have an old Peavey KB model which you can afford. You would need to buy 2 of them for stereo, which should still be in your price range (Aussie money may differ) if you can find two of the same model.

You have many options available.'  Here are what I use.

- A good set of studio headphones

- An old PA system with mixer, built in power amp and speakers.  Lots of those around used.

- Flat Response, Full Range speakers.

I have run my HD500(x) through all of the above.  I get similar results with all of them.  

My favorite home solutions right now are a pair of Headrush 112 FRFR speakers (~US$299).  They are economical, powerful, and I think sound good (on stands).   I hear the Headrush 108 powered (US$199) speaker is good also.   So If you are looking at a budget of around $200, it might be a good solution for you, and you can use it going forward for many years.

I also have a Line6 Power Cab +, and it sounds great with the HD500x.  I bought  used one for round $500.  Great future proof option as well.

If I was in your position, I would probably buy a HD500x and a Headrush 108 FRFR.    

Hi,

Here is something that might get you going for now. This is what I do at home. I'm not gigging.

I already had a cheap practice amp (Peavey Rage 158). It has a "CD input" jack, which is intended for inputting a backing track. Many small practice amps have these inputs - more modern ones are labelled "MP3 Input" these days. Critically, these inputs do not go through the guitar amp preamp section, which is where distortion and tone-shaping are applied. So I just plug my Pod HD500X into that CD Input for a reasonably-flat, albeit mono sound.

PianoGuyy and bobcoss have listed out the options nicely if you don't already have a practice amp.

D.

The problem with using "cd input" was mentioned in now-deleted posts (by me and others).  

--- guitar amps are designed for guitar, not music. sure, some have that jack, but if you listen to music through them, they are still altered. 

It is the same issue with using the FX Loop or some other "tone bypass" jack of a guitar amp. You are dealing with a speaker and a cab designed for guitar, not for music. 

I mean, sure, we are guitar players using the pod for guitar. But the modeler is already providing that tone, we don't want to double it.