Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone: recorded playback vs 'Live'

davidderekmoss

Anyone else notice a significant difference between the following:

- Recorded Helix playback - ie guitar track recorded by helix, into software and then played back

- And live playing ie just playing into helix (not recording), sound coming out of speaker

Both of the above use the same amplification (powercab set to FRFR)

I noticed scenario one sounds much better! 

Sidenote: when i use my variax I always prefer the recorded playback to the sound I get when playing live. 

Anyone else experienced anything similar. It is frustrating as the tone I want is provided via the recorded playback - not so keen the live sound i'm getting.

If any of the above makes sense i'd appreciate some help.

Thanks, 

Dave

Could it be that when listening to the recording you’re just not hearing the Variax acoustically and that’s making the difference? Try using in-ears as you record (even a cheap set) and see if you still get the same results.  The in-ears will likely sound different from your monitors so you just have to ignore that and only listen to the difference between the two sounds - track and listening to the playback. 

49 minutes ago, davidderekmoss said:

@phil_m yes recording into quick time via helix USB - play back sounds much nicer, than "live" Hmm...not sure what is going on. 

I don’t know a lot about QuickTime, but it could be that it’s applying some sort of effect on the recorded audio when you play it back. QT is a video editor, not really a DAW, isn’t it?

6 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I don’t know a lot about QuickTime, but it could be that it’s applying some sort of effect on the recorded audio when you play it back. QT is a video editor, not really a DAW, isn’t it?

Nah. It records in as high a fidelity as it can muster as far as I know. If anything it might even degrade the audio quality as I don’t think it records in an uncompressed format even though it can play those formats.  It’s not much of a video editor either. Pretty basic trimming utilities. 

7 minutes ago, phil_m said:

may be that is it. I'm sure the same happened with logic though, although can't be 100% sure. It must be something to do with the settings on Helix or Powercab - perhaps on play back it is applying some gadget i'm not aware of ....or it could be that i'm hearing the acoustics of the guitar when playing live. 

44 minutes ago, phil_m said:

QT audio files are saved as M4A which is a compressed lossless format. As you noted - it not a DAW and definitely not suited to doing what the OP is doing with it.

41 minutes ago, davidderekmoss said:

... or it could be that i'm hearing the acoustics of the guitar when playing live. 

or more likely, it could be “psycho-acoustic”.